1 cap vs 10 sub-cap

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Was having an interesting conversation today on discord about whether a manned capital ship would win or not against 10 sub-capital ships. Now the sub capital ships would obviously not be all the same, but a squadron of different types.

Who do you think would win? What 10 ships would you use to overcome said capital ship?

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
If the capital ship wont flee, even a single sub-capital ship could win as long as it can deal more damage than the shield recharge rate, and the pilot is good enough to dog the capital ships movements very closely. Seen how you can usually find an angle where you are below the angle the capital ships turrets can turn, right on the skin of the ship. Meaning you can keep firing at that hull unopposed. Of course, this usually takes way too long, and the capital can just quantum away.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
If the capital ship wont flee, even a single sub-capital ship could win as long as it can deal more damage than the shield recharge rate, and the pilot is good enough to dog the capital ships movements very closely. Seen how you can usually find an angle where you are below the angle the capital ships turrets can turn, right on the skin of the ship. Meaning you can keep firing at that hull unopposed. Of course, this usually takes way too long, and the capital can just quantum away.
Good theory. The shields would be troublesome, but its a good thing we have the warlock to take them out!

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Depends

Some heralds talis maybe some warlocks would be good because that's what they are designed for

If it was just 10 fighters no because that would make fighters too good and that would make all other ships obsolete and make the game pretty shitty

Can you imagine just taking saber or super hornets and winning that would be the most boring game ever

Who has the most hornets or sabers etc

Now if i had a team that was gearing up to take an idris
i would have way more fun working together with the hearalds to get the shields down for the talis to come in and drop some torps or cutlass/prowlers to board the ship

if i take 10 hornets everywhere and expect to win this game would be garbage

My list for taking down a idris with the bareminimum

3 heralds
3 talis
3 cutlass with boarding crew
the maybe a gladiator

Heralds jump in first and get to work/distraction followed by cutlass firing at the idris
talis and gladiators roll in

Once shields are down board

If shields wont go down or losing to many ships kill it with torps or pull back

Way more interesting contains a fall back plan different elements and a chance to capture it

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Depends

Some heralds talis maybe some warlocks would be good because that's what they are designed for

If it was just 10 fighters no because that would make fighters too good and that would make all other ships obsolete and make the game pretty shitty

Can you imagine just taking saber or super hornets and winning that would be the most boring game ever

Who has the most hornets or sabers etc

Now if i had a team that was gearing up to take an idris
i would have way more fun working together with the hearalds to get the shields down for the talis to come in and drop some torps or cutlass/prowlers to board the ship

if i take 10 hornets everywhere and expect to win this game would be garbage

My list for taking down a idris with the bareminimum

3 heralds
3 talis
3 cutlass with boarding crew
the maybe a gladiator

Heralds jump in first and get to work/distraction followed by cutlass firing at the idris
talis and gladiators roll in

Once shields are down board

If shields wont go down or losing to many ships kill it with torps or pull back

Way more interesting contains a fall back plan different elements and a chance to capture it
Nice theory! I was also thinking of a mixture of tali's and warlocks for a little bit of EWAR and torpedo action!

Pander

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
Pander22
Capitals are slow and heavy, hard to maneuver which would let the subcaps sit by it and blast away. As long as the shield recharge is less than their DPS then the subcaps will win.
Eventually possibly but the time it would take what could the capital do in that time?

You need to hit it hard and fast as the turrets should be able to cover all angles every ship you lose is a big drop in firepower and recharge vs firepower dips

You need focus, big weapons and teamwork, you need to get rid of an asset like that asap

Reactions: A.Santos

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Eventually possibly but the time it would take what could the capital do in that time?

You need to hit it hard and fast as the turrets should be able to cover all angles every ship you lose is a big drop in firepower and recharge vs firepower dips

You need focus, big weapons and teamwork, you need to get rid of an asset like that asap
Turrets on the capital should are also destroyable which leave blind spots too.

Reactions: A.Santos and Pander

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
You've asked a conceptually confused question, so the only proper answer is to not answer. There are scenarios where the answer is obviously yes, and there are scenarios where the answer is obviously no. Please precise what collection of smaller ships and which cap ship you mean.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Take 5 Super Hornets and put the Suckerpunch Distortion Cannons on 2 mounts for each of them. Fly those as a screen in front of 2 Warlocks. The 7 of them make and attack run on the Cap firing to take out at least one section of shielding, then when they are close enough, set off the EMPs. Just before the shields go down the 2 Retaliators you have holding back just inside torpedo range unleash hell. Rinse and repeat as necessary. 9 times out of 10 a lone capital ship against that is going to lose.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
You've asked a conceptually confused question, so the only proper answer is to not answer. There are scenarios where the answer is obviously yes, and there are scenarios where the answer is obviously no. Please precise what collection of smaller ships and which cap ship you mean.
Don't take this poorly, i'm in lust with your brain.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
It is to simply see if a capital would stand up to any combination of 10 sub-captial ships. I say, with the right combination, the sub-capitals would overwhelmingly win.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
That stuff above is cheezy philosopher speak for " you're not making sense".

In order to come to the conclusion that just 10 smaller ships could take on a cap, you need to show an example. So take the smallest cap ship, the Polaris; and explain how any collection of small ships will outlast the two batteries of S3 missiles it can launch. Most small ships will be destroyed by a single S3 missile. So how is your collection of ships going to get into range? Are they all bombers with their own missiles? If so, the answer is obviously yes, the will win since they can dodge incoming missiles and the Polaris cannot. Are they all Reliant Tanas? If so, their missiles are too short range and too weak to be effective and as they are slow, clumsy fliers, they will all likely die.

Reactions: Drekr and A.Santos

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
That stuff above is cheezy philosopher speak for " you're not making sense".

In order to come to the conclusion that just 10 smaller ships could take on a cap, you need to show an example. So take the smallest cap ship, the Polaris; and explain how any collection of small ships will outlast the two batteries of S3 missiles it can launch. Most small ships will be destroyed by a single S3 missile. So how is your collection of ships going to get into range? Are they all bombers with their own missiles? If so, the answer is obviously yes, the will win since they can dodge incoming missiles and the Polaris cannot. Are they all Reliant Tanas? If so, their missiles are too short range and too weak to be effective and as they are slow, clumsy fliers, they will all likely die.
This is the kind of response I was looking for originally. Its a critical thinking type of question. I wanted to see what everyone's opinions were on the matter.

Also, you dont have to use ALL of one type of ship in the 10 ship setup. You can use multiple types so long as you stay below the size of a capital.
Ex:
1 Warlock
3 Superhornets
2 Tali's
2 Wardens
2 Sentinels

A.Santos

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 6, 2016
RSI Handle
A_Santos
again with a skilled crew on alert and if they know what target to hit first, it might be a problem
they will see the small attackforce b4 they are inside torpedo range.

Reactions: Drekr

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
again with a skilled crew on alert and if they know what target to hit first, it might be a problem
they will see the small attackforce b4 they are inside torpedo range.
I beg to differ, the Sentinel will electronically hide the other ships in the attack force. Passive Electronic Attack. Unseen by enemy radars and other trackers.

A.Santos

Space Marshal
Donor
Mar 6, 2016
RSI Handle
A_Santos
see thats what im hopeing for ( got the Sentinel myself ) but we dont realy know yet, and if there is a Cap-ship out there, im sure there patrols out there to
anyway that was not the scenario :P

Forgot your password?