2.6 Going Live Tonight!

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
2.6 in the PTU was so broken, I was actually quite worried, but last night after going live, almost 2 solid hours of almost glitch free gameplay! The only real problem has been getting a crime stat apparently just for thinking dirty thoughts. I don't care. If fantasizing about flying a Freelancer in the nude is wrong, I don't want to be right.

Reactions: BenjiMac

BenjiMac

Commander
Dec 11, 2016
RSI Handle
macFionnlagh
Old project? I've worked I projects for 5+ years before anyone outside the company even knows.
Do you have some examples I'd know? Im genuinely curious how this would work and your input could change my view here. My company dont produce games but other solutions and outside a monster, already successful studio Id have thought pressure from shareholders/investors simply wouldnt allow for such extensive work on R&D. We're planning a new fulfillment platform and have a fraction of this time to deliver the first iteration of the live end result.

Obviously, games arent as straightforward in most respects and Im not counting here studios that produce a proprietry engine from the ground up to then build a game with but I'd have expected very few studios to have the financial muscle to throw into a project and be at this stage entering year five. Id honestly expect a fairly full featured alpha if not a feature complete beta within half a decade in the majority of cases.

While games have taken longer in some cases, Im sceptical those games were so bare bones at the equivalent stage in development but Im not a game developer.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Did you recognize? 2.6.1 will solve some network issues. To be read here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

NETWORK – BIND CULLING (ORIGINAL ESTIMATE 23RD NOVEMBER, PUSHED TO 2.6.1)
  • Due to other network stability bugfixing and support, we were not able to make enough satisfactory progress to include this with 2.6.0.
NETWORK – MESSAGE ORDERING
  • Delayed due to other Network bugfixing.
  • The work was originally checked in to 2.6.0 and was part of the builds on the early Evocati pushes. However we quickly discovered that it was causing some nasty client crashes, so it was deemed better to remove this code for now and continue developing it for a future patch.
NETWORK – SERIALIZED VARIABLE (ORIGINAL ESTIMATE 8TH DECEMBER, PUSHED TO 2.6.1)
  • Serialized Variables was reliant in part on the Message Ordering work that ended up being removed, so was too risky to try and include without it

Reactions: DeepDrum

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Wait there's a fast patcher mode??? The normal patcher is already pretty damn fast! Hooray for Amazon!!!

View attachment 5263
Good grief, 17 minutes? I'm getting 1.7mb a second, still have half of it to go and three hours to wait... and its already been running 3 hours.

Reactions: AstroSam

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Aww damn it all. Just came back to the computer at 1.30am to check download progress (Can't sleep, it is Christmas morning) and it is sat at zero kbps with 2.5 gb to go. Paused and played again, its bck to 1.6mbps. Add another half an hour to the clock... This happened last time too but it took 12 hours to download that one.

Lythan

Vice Admiral
Oct 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Lythan
Aww damn it all. Just came back to the computer at 1.30am to check download progress (Can't sleep, it is Christmas morning) and it is sat at zero kbps with 2.5 gb to go. Paused and played again, its bck to 1.6mbps. Add another half an hour to the clock... This happened last time too but it took 12 hours to download that one.
I have the same problem, but I need to pause it every 10 minutes :confused: also the fast patcher just gives me a bunch of errors when it tries to download :frowning2:

DeepDrum

Captain
Jun 27, 2016
RSI Handle
DeepDrum
Walking away from the patcher never works for me. I have to watch it and hit pause/resume a few times.
The only way I got past the last 2k was to use the tunnelling software recommended by CIG.
I only turn it on when there is no response other ways since the free version only gives you a 500 MB limit.

https://www.tunnelbear.com/

There are other ways around it:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138546/direct-download-from-rsi-link

This one is interesting:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/364207/update-perpetually-frozen
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138546/direct-download-from-rsi-link

Fade691

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fade691
For the first time ever this update kept hanging for me at 6.3g to go. Usually these 25-30g dwnlds complete no problem for me in 30 minutes or so. I was getting frustrated until I saw Sams post. Using the fast patch method Sam linked fixed it for me. So the hang must not of been on my networks end because it hit 140Mbps down with the fast patch.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam

tyrois

Grand Admiral
Dec 6, 2015
RSI Handle
tyrois
Do you have some examples I'd know? Im genuinely curious how this would work and your input could change my view here. My company dont produce games but other solutions and outside a monster, already successful studio Id have thought pressure from shareholders/investors simply wouldnt allow for such extensive work on R&D. We're planning a new fulfillment platform and have a fraction of this time to deliver the first iteration of the live end result.

Obviously, games arent as straightforward in most respects and Im not counting here studios that produce a proprietry engine from the ground up to then build a game with but I'd have expected very few studios to have the financial muscle to throw into a project and be at this stage entering year five. Id honestly expect a fairly full featured alpha if not a feature complete beta within half a decade in the majority of cases.

While games have taken longer in some cases, Im sceptical those games were so bare bones at the equivalent stage in development but Im not a game developer.
Your failing to take into account how much has changed during the development of SC. In a conventional development project we (the public) would most likely have only seen SC as a demo in the past year or so at one of the gaming cons. where companies advertise and promote the upcoming game releases. With the success of the funding campaign they have greatly changed and expanded the original game concept. They have built an entire company which didn't exists at the start of the campaign around this concept. CIG has had a freedom that just wouldn't be possible in any conventional gaming corp. They possible would in all likelihood have a published to beta by now if the development process was more conventional, but it surly wouldn't compare to what awaits us now. As a company they have been very open with this process and with that people tend to draw their own conclusions as to where development should be. We (backers) are full of our own opinions, but were only spectators of the development process and our view is limited at best.

Forgot your password?