3D Printed Caterpillar

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Hey folks, thought I would get back into 3d printing after a year's break from hobbies. Been working on the Caterpillar for just about the entire weekend.

All that is left is to redo the Cockpit and the side wing (they got warped during curing). Then off to paint! Thinking of doing a black and yellow scheme.

View: https://imgur.com/a/tAeNr5I

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Loving work on the ship the detail are sharp and well printed too!
Just one question: why in trasparent resin since you are going to paint anyway and the model doesn't have any interior design anyway? Isn't it a wast of expensive resin?

Looking forward ot the paint process, if you need some advice just ask: I'm peaky but have quite of an experience on model making/painting.😅

Last edited:

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Ooh me likey!!! You got some of that yellow string??
Are you referring to filament? This is a resin printer. I am assembling the model and then spray painting it with primer and a base coat, then hand painting the details.

Loving work on the ship the detail are sharp and well printed too!
Just one question: why in trasparent resin since you are going to paint anyway and the model doesn't have any interior design anyway? Isn't it a wast of expensive resin?

Looking forward ot the paint process, if you need some advice just ask: I'm peaky but have quite of an experience on model making/painting.😅
Good question! The transparent stuff is just as cheap as the opaque ones. Clear stuff lets me see if there is still trapped resin inside that i need to drill/drain before assembly.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Painting siggestion tecnique for a more realistic looks.

Before start to apply any other color give the model a full wash of black ink (or a very, very VERY thin down black paint), this will hel to bring out the details and already create a shadow zone in the recess.

If you go for the yellow (and of course you'll do since TESt colors are BEST colors), start with a base of light brown falt full cover on over every area you'll plan to paint yellow: in 20yr of modelling I've not found a single yellow color with a bare minimum cover capacity, so a brown base help a lot.
Also try do apply the yello in thin layer, with brush stroke that goes form the darker area to the brighter ones: this will create a nice blend of color with little to no affort.😉

Finally: buy an airbrush and a proper compressor! The first you can get your hands on one for something like 50-60€ the compresso is gonna cost more like 200-300 but if yuo take care for it a bit it'll last for several decade.😊

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Painting siggestion tecnique for a more realistic looks.

Before start to apply any other color give the model a full wash of black ink (or a very, very VERY thin down black paint), this will hel to bring out the details and already create a shadow zone in the recess.

If you go for the yellow (and of course you'll do since TESt colors are BEST colors), start with a base of light brown falt full cover on over every area you'll plan to paint yellow: in 20yr of modelling I've not found a single yellow color with a bare minimum cover capacity, so a brown base help a lot.
Also try do apply the yello in thin layer, with brush stroke that goes form the darker area to the brighter ones: this will create a nice blend of color with little to no affort.😉

Finally: buy an airbrush and a proper compressor! The first you can get your hands on one for something like 50-60€ the compresso is gonna cost more like 200-300 but if yuo take care for it a bit it'll last for several decade.😊
Nice! Thanks for the tips. I will definitely try the brown under the yellow trick. Not sure if I want to dive into air brushing just yet. Its on the "wanted" list, but I got lots of other things on that list too. Progress pics to come.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Not sure if I want to dive into air brushing just yet. Its on the "wanted" list, but I got lots of other things on that list too.
If you are into making large model like this then an airbrush is a must, not only it speed up the paint work, but also allow to archive color gradient much more effectivly and quickly.
Having one I couldn't think of doing some work without it anymore!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
If you are into making large model like this then an airbrush is a must, not only it speed up the paint work, but also allow to archive color gradient much more effectivly and quickly.
Having one I couldn't think of doing some work without it anymore!
I may look into this soon then. Gonna get a miniature spray booth to filter fumes for the garage first me thinks.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Damn! The urge to get a 3D printer have never been this strong... ha ha ha..

Looking great 🍻

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?