A TESTie wrote a book! And it's FREE to download! Upvote his submission to Citizen Spotlight!

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Any news on if this got any views from Devs? if not lets spam their emails til they read it!!!
GIG has, at every turn, done whatever they can to SUPPRESS the book. They took it down from Spectrum multiple times stating that I put it in the wrong place, even though the "proper" place netted a grand total of 6 views over the course of 8 months. As far as I can tell, they hate that I wrote a book and will ignore it until the sun burns out. That is why there is no part 2 or even any follow-up short stories.

Reactions: Bambooza

Kiladyn

Vice Admiral
Dec 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Kiladyn
GIG has, at every turn, done whatever they can to SUPPRESS the book. They took it down from Spectrum multiple times stating that I put it in the wrong place, even though the "proper" place netted a grand total of 6 views over the course of 8 months. As far as I can tell, they hate that I wrote a book and will ignore it until the sun burns out. That is why there is no part 2 or even any follow-up short stories.
Thats really sad man. Im sorry to hear that. Dont worry I will read your book! I would have thought CIG would love more free press ect.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza

I'm really sad now.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Hey, if y'all do like it, TELL YOUR FRIENDS! CIG probably wants to protect their Lore from getting away from them via tropes/mechanics popularized by fanfiction, but that is no reason to ignore that people want to tell stories in the universe that they built for us. I can only do so much promoting before I am seen in a negative light (hocking my own stuff), but honest to goodness user reviews should help it grow! Spread the word! Resistance is futile!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Hey, if y'all do like it, TELL YOUR FRIENDS! CIG probably wants to protect their Lore from getting away from them via tropes/mechanics popularized by fanfiction, but that is no reason to ignore that people want to tell stories in the universe that they built for us. I can only do so much promoting before I am seen in a negative light (hocking my own stuff), but honest to goodness user reviews should help it grow! Spread the word! Resistance is futile!
Now the fankit is out again stick one of those "Made be the community" stickers to it (read the terms and conditions of attatching the logo before you do to make sure they can't just perma-ban your work immediately, though 😉)

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Now the fankit is out again stick one of those "Made be the community" stickers to it (read the terms and conditions of attatching the logo before you do to make sure they can't just perma-ban your work immediately, though 😉)
Haven't downloaded the kit and I never intend to. Downloading it is essentially signing a document that binds you to their terms (for the most part) and I'm not interested in that at all. Working on my own project now, so It is what it be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Haven't downloaded the kit and I never intend to. Downloading it is essentially signing a document that binds you to their terms (for the most part) and I'm not interested in that at all. Working on my own project now, so It is what it be ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Okay, I've had a thought:

While reading the Terms Of Service on user generated content https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos#rsi_content (terms you are already bound to) it struck me that if you can't get them to read or endorse your book, you can legit apporach them for permission to make a cover for your book using official RSI imagery. They still might not read it, but it may open the door to negotiation as to what they want from you in promoting it and what you may be able to get from them even if it's just a little shout-out on the twitter or something.

Whaddya think, a last roll of the dice? They potentially get their "Community Made" sticker on the corner of the cover and you get some actual dialogue going with them?

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Okay, I've had a thought:

While reading the Terms Of Service on user generated content https://robertsspaceindustries.com/tos#rsi_content (terms you are already bound to) it struck me that if you can't get them to read or endorse your book, you can legit apporach them for permission to make a cover for your book using official RSI imagery. They still might not read it, but it may open the door to negotiation as to what they want from you in promoting it and what you may be able to get from them even if it's just a little shout-out on the twitter or something.

Whaddya think, a last roll of the dice? They potentially get their "Community Made" sticker on the corner of the cover and you get some actual dialogue going with them?
It might be worth a shot, but I am SUPER soured by how I've been treated thus far. We shall see. I half-expect them to screw me in some way, so I'm kinda content to let it lie low until I have more of an audience/leverage

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It might be worth a shot, but I am SUPER soured by how I've been treated thus far. We shall see
Best of luck getting some kind of conversation going. The terms of the fan-kit say you've gotta ask their permission so I say that's as near as damn it an invite to at least ask them to use those pictures for a digital cover for your story. in return for putting the fanmade icon on it.

It would be an acknowledgement that you/it exists, anyway. Unless the final kick in the ass is that they say "Thats not what the fankit is for, so no".

Mmm, i'm talking myself out of this right now...

Reactions: Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Best of luck getting some kind of conversation going. The terms of the fan-kit say you've gotta ask their permission so I say that's as near as damn it an invite to at least ask them to use those pictures for a digital cover for your story. in return for putting the fanmade icon on it.

It would be an acknowledgement that you/it exists, anyway. Unless the final kick in the ass is that they say "Thats not what the fankit is for, so no".

Mmm, i'm talking myself out of this right now...
Yeah, they haven't seemed too freindly or eager for fan-generated narratives and stories. They seem to reward the stuff that are basically fan-made CIG commercials. Things that advertise glitz and graphics, but nothing that takes a stab at the Depth of the Verse. I might send them a concierge email asking about it BEFORE downloading the fan kit. We shall see what they say...

But, then again, if I agree to their fan kit thing they will have the authority to demand I remove the book from my own personal site. So I doubt I will actually make that particular deal with the devil.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
Reactions: DorianSkyphire

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
What about a licensed novel / profit share scenario. Win win?
I was barking HARD up that tree before I ever released the book to the public and received nothing but about 6 months of a hard cold shoulder. They wouldn't even respond to my concierge emails which is a pretty glaring sign that they deliberately ignored my offer. I sent a letter in to Chris Roberts explaining my passion for his project and my outline for a series that would all be independent stories that are weaved together via the fabric of the universe. (Item A is dropped in book one, found and fought over in book 2, salvaged in book 3, and so on.) Each book was to focus on a specific profession within the verse and was to be framed as a Wive's tale that the workers of that profession tell each other over a pint after their shift. I deliberately made an effort to insulate the cannon, so I figured that I had covered all my bases. Suppose not, I guess.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
AND it's on our current book club list, just sayin... I didn't notice who it was by until after I had voted... so I'm reading it anyway. And I like it!!!!!!
Glad to hear that it doesn't suck! haha

Forgot your password?