Activision - Suburb graphics

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
So my son made me get COD Modern Warfare 2019 this weekend. As usual I am Amazed as the cut scene and graphic details. I have played COD forever and I am always AMAZED. Here is an example:

Recognize her?

1575264108374.png

Then there is Jax looking pasty and non-realistic.
1575264164817.png

I hope CIG gets the level of detail Activision has been able to publish.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm the graphic is really good but you need to take into account some other aspect.
First of all you are comparing a cut scene in a full compleated game with a "fancy promotional" video of a alpha-state game, the two are a real different things: one is meant ot be a part of the game, the other a cool nerdy thing.

Second, but this is a personal consideration, if COD can0t innovate at leas on the graphic side there is nothing else in the "new" COD that make you want to buy it: it's nothing more then the same linear FPS that was 10 years ago, no new mechanics, no new tecnology nothing... on the other side SC have implement a lot a new tecnology that have to be invented and/ore put together in a unique game and with a hight level of game mechanics.
I'm not saying that COD is a bad game, but is a whole different objective for commercializzation rather then SC, and they can't be compared right away do to the state of the two development.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
So my son made me get COD Modern Warfare 2019 this weekend. As usual I am Amazed as the cut scene and graphic details. I have played COD forever and I am always AMAZED. Here is an example:

Recognize her?

View attachment 14467

Then there is Jax looking pasty and non-realistic.
View attachment 14468

I hope CIG gets the level of detail Activision has been able to publish.
Yep this is her in Fallen Order

StarWars_Cere.png
thNTLRQK50.jpg

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Really its going to come down to your system, monitor etc... I have a feeling by the time this game actually launches in 2022/23 most people will be using 4k or better and most people right now aren't even running 4k.

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Also not sure if this is right but was your title supposed to say Superb? I am not judging it just threw me off at first and is why I didn't click on it initially lol, if I am wrong I apologize in advance!

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
supposed to say Superb?
Too funny... didn't even realize it. Damn auto correct gets me in trouble daily. I am going to leave it alone because that is CD at his best - Test minion.

I have a 4k monitor with a gtx 1080... I think my rig pretty good. Using snagit, I pulled the COD picture in game while Jax was pulled from youtube (there could be some bias there in terms of quality). Anyway, you can't put lipstick on a pig to make it look better. There is a possibility that they (CIG) over did the graphics on it. Heck, even movie stars photoshop their pictures. I have to admit, COD cut scenes look like real actors in most cases. Maybe CGI graphics has a place at CIG.

Our test family photo over the holidays - I could not get everyone and we have so many contributors - Find a minion and insert your name. Happy holidays.

1575314185837.png

Last edited:

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
THIS!
the image below

The image below

Look at the detail difference, the SC mapping is by far more detailed and in some aspects more realistic. The only thing SC is missing is live ray tracing and maybe subdermal light refracting (forgot what the name for it is) for more realistic lighting. You'll typically see IRL light go through parts of the skin like around the edges of ears at certain angles making part of the ears look slightly transparent. Which... I mean... we are mostly bags of water.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Look at the detail difference, the SC mapping is by far more detailed and in some aspects more realistic.
Add motion to that... COD looks like a movie, CIG looks like mechanical rendering. I am sure they are both mechanical, but one is better than the other and I think that is Activision hands down.

1575319615453.png

1575319657067.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DirectorGunner

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Add motion to that... COD looks like a movie, CIG looks like mechanical rendering. I am sure they are both mechanical, but one is better than the other and I think that is Activision hands down.

View attachment 14489

View attachment 14490
I must share a similar comparison and which is much tastier btw

You see, both images have entirely different angles and lighting situations. Your favorite example has outdoor lighting and yes the lighting looks great. the SC example is indoor lighting and I don't think he has very long eyelashes to compare with an attractive female. I mean.. if he put extensions on maybe....

oh.. here's another similiar comparison... which I think fits much better

VS

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Last edited:

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Before I get into my sort of a rant why this comparison is kinda silly, let me be clear that I do think that SC's animations and character tech is showing its age, and it's not pretty. They will have to update some things down the line to keep up with the times.

@DirectorGunner
Star Citizen does have SSS (sub surface scattering), although it's still in its early stages. Take off your helmet, stand in front of a light and look at the ears. I remember seeing it work to some degree. Also they bring it up every time they talk about character art. It's just not very good. They are taking a head-on approach and trying to do it "properly" like they do it in the movie industry, and that's hard to pull off in real-time rendering. This is another tech achievement that players won't know and fully appreciate, but will drive other game studios to do better.

There is no denying that CoD looks amazing.
Now as for this comparison, is it fair? Is the CoD screenshot from a pre-rendered cutscene (which uses highly refind mocap, proper raytracing, a much higher poly model and textures and about a million layers of other stuff I'm not gonna list here) or is it from live gameplay?
Cos the Star Citizen video is basically live gameplay, with in game models, at their in-game detail levels, only it's been captured with some post effects like dof (which we should be able to use as well with advanced camera/director mode? I never got it to work). It's indeed apples vs oranges.

Also, take into account that CoD is basically nothing but a playable cutscene. What I mean by this is that CoD doesn't need the complexity of procedural animations that SC needs. You can animate all that amazing movement in a month, cos it's sooooo limited and fixed. Spend a few years doing it, and it ends up looking this good. Try placing a CoD character into a situation it wasn't meant to be in, and it won't work. I'd guess that for CoD every single animation is hand-made for that specific model. Thinking about things like sitting down, or taking cover next to a car. Change the car to an SUV, and the CoD guy will clip through it. The SC guy will adapt on the fly, and position himself perfectly as much as possible.
There is soooo much difference between the two games the it just makes no sense to compare them. Do I want to see CoD level of animations in SC? Hell yeah! Ofc I do! Is it possible? No, unless you want to wait another extra 4-5 years until they animate every single possible situation by hand, no there is no way it will happen.

Also also, you can bet your ass that for CoD, a team the size of the Frankfurt office was doing nothing but the animation for the cutscenes for years, unlike with SC, where Jax probably had 2-3 ppl working on it for a week or two at most. Jax seems to be a regular npc they put a unique skin on and they animated a bit. Now if the real stars like Mark Hamills character will have the same kind of "basic" animation, then I will be upset too.
Compare that SC vid to real-time characters in something like the elder scrolls online. That's a more fair comparison.

I do agree though that the skin shader doesn't feel right, but they can swap that out any time they come up with a better one. Still, the good thing about an obviously-CG character like space-Clarkson is that you don't get the uncanny valley feeling. You instantly know it's not a real person, and you don't get this "somethings off" feeling that you get with "lifelike" characters.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Compare that SC vid to real-time characters in something like the elder scrolls online. That's a more fair comparison.
You are absolutely right... the whole game (COD) is a cutscene. Now add the layperson dynamic to it - me being the layperson. We don't know how it is created, we don't know what it is made of, kinda like some food you buy at a restaurant, we just care how it looks and tastes. The same goes for SC. I love their ships and the detail, but hen I see people running around me in the game - they look like they are hopping, and the legs do not look in "motion". It is obvious it is still a work in progress.

I will concede to the following. This is a spaceship game and people tech is secondary. I don't hold it against CIG, I am just saying it could use a little TLC.

@Lorddarthvik - Thank you for the lesson and you taught me something useful today.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Forgot your password?