All this salt is just the normal cycle repeating!

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
CIG has changed how they approach developing these games multiple times. Back in the early days it was "we are working on this feature" and it came along with no starting ETA as to it's arrival. Back then it was "when we feel the feature is ready" and could have gone for months without an update, and a few times just showed up out of no where, not as completed as we thought it should be. As such came the quarterly development cycle, after implementation we saw that the major features of almost every patch were delayed for some reason or another that's gone on for years. So now the focus is only on the next dev release. Why give people the opportunity to see something put on a roadmap knowing that the possibility of it making that release date isn't as certain as you believed it to be?

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik

Nah, it'll be fine...

Maybe there will be a few less sales of the new hover quad, some more bitching and moanin on the forums, but as always the cycle will go on and whales will prop up the small losses when the next super-star-bomebr-fighter-carrier-gunship that no one asked for or has any need for drops in a few months... Then it will get nerfed and thus the circle of salt starts anew.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
For me, this time is different.
And this time they don't have a rabbit to pull out of the hat, unless that rabbit is SQ42.
As we near the 10yr anniversary of the kickstarter in October, many see it as a line in the sand because its a big round number right?

It took CIG a few years to get itself operating as a "functional" game development studio. I would go as far as saying that a huge amount of work from 2012-2016 was probably tossed away because it simply was poor quality (eg original hangars) and better solutions, more skilled devs and artists came along.

It is fair to say that from 2016 to today, that CIG has been operating with a lot more focus and direction, like a proper game development company. Before that it was a whole bunch of overpromising, bad target dates and never ending scope increases.

As for the rabbit out of the hat for 2022, it as to be something that will re-kindle the excitement that has kept us around from the early days.

Not only do we need to see Nyx, but that Montreal office needs to show us a lot more. All these tools they have been working on for years, planet tech, atmospheres, procedural base and settlements, rivers, oceans, clouds. We need to see all this start to coalesce and demonstrate to the backers that all this money is being used as promised to speed up production of the final product we were promised a decade ago.

This includes SQ42.

How can Zyloh have played through all the levels in 2016? What happened to that version of the game? Its obviously been almost completely refactored, tell us why? GIve us the real reasons, we can handle it!

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
How can Zyloh have played through all the levels in 2016? What happened to that version of the game? Its obviously been almost completely refactored, tell us why? GIve us the real reasons, we can handle it!
The game's development essentially started in 2015/2016. Much of that stuff from 2012-2016 was tossed out. I personally almost gave up on the game in 2016 having backed since 2012.

CIG ought to be honest and publicly state that they messed up in the years leading up to 2016. The engine change and the drama with Crytek didn't help either.

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
The game's development essentially started in 2015/2016. Much of that stuff from 2012-2016 was tossed out. I personally almost gave up on the game in 2016 having backed since 2012.

CIG ought to be honest and publicly state that they messed up in the years leading up to 2016. The engine change and the drama with Crytek didn't help either.
Going that far back with a reason for an apology isn't going to fly today. Even if CIG moved away from Cryengine over to Lumberyard their work has outgrown the basics for both at this point and the pledgers know it.

Reactions: CosmicTrader

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Even if CIG moved away from Cryengine over to Lumberyard
There is way too much confusion on this topic.

Lumberyard IS Cryengine.

CIG themselves said that the forking to Lumberyard was essentially something like 3 days worth of tweeks.

Lumberyard, being backed by Amazon is the perfect place to be for a game that is going to need to rely on the best server solutions on the planet.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Going that far back with a reason for an apology isn't going to fly today. Even if CIG moved away from Cryengine over to Lumberyard their work has outgrown the basics for both at this point and the pledgers know it.
Oh yeah I agree. My point is that production really started in 2015-2016 and not 2012 like so many backers are saying. CIG basically wasted 2012-2016...god knows what they were doing back then. This is by no means a defense of the company mind you.

KuruptU4Fun

Vice Admiral
Dec 10, 2021
RSI Handle
KuruptU4Fun68
Oh yeah I agree. My point is that production really started in 2015-2016 and not 2012 like so many backers are saying. CIG basically wasted 2012-2016...god knows what they were doing back then. This is by no means a defense of the company mind you.
I can't remember if the first time I heard the term "building blocks tools" but I would hope that an hour long discussion on where they are with each dept. (using that tool) would help get everyone up to date knowledge wise anyway.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
As we near the 10yr anniversary of the kickstarter in October, many see it as a line in the sand because its a big round number right?

It took CIG a few years to get itself operating as a "functional" game development studio. I would go as far as saying that a huge amount of work from 2012-2016 was probably tossed away because it simply was poor quality (eg original hangars) and better solutions, more skilled devs and artists came along.

It is fair to say that from 2016 to today, that CIG has been operating with a lot more focus and direction, like a proper game development company. Before that it was a whole bunch of overpromising, bad target dates and never ending scope increases.

As for the rabbit out of the hat for 2022, it as to be something that will re-kindle the excitement that has kept us around from the early days.

Not only do we need to see Nyx, but that Montreal office needs to show us a lot more. All these tools they have been working on for years, planet tech, atmospheres, procedural base and settlements, rivers, oceans, clouds. We need to see all this start to coalesce and demonstrate to the backers that all this money is being used as promised to speed up production of the final product we were promised a decade ago.

This includes SQ42.

The problem with Nyx and Pyro is they are reliant on Server meshing, which is highly unlikely to be available this year, much less the next two months. The hat is empty, there is no rabbit.

My biggest complaint is nothing is finished. In 10 years not a single thing is complete. Not a feature, not an asset, nothing.
  • The flight model in "the best damn space sim" isn't finalized.
  • The "Jesus patch" with Icache to give us persistence and we still don't have reasonable persistence except for some inventory items.
  • 10 years and they still don't have refuel, rearm, repair nailed down at a station or starport.
  • etc.
Heck, 10 years and nobody appears to know what finished even means.

From their little missive:
Because our focus was very vocally shifting from delivery to progress
In software development progress is measured in deliverables that have been delivered.

But this one is the one that has me really trying to figure out what they are thinking.
the Core Gameplay Pillar has moved to focus exclusively on Squadron 42
Does this mean no more game features in the PU until they are done with SQ42?
SQ42 is going to have bounty hunting, mining, cargo hauling, salvage, habs, base building, etc.?

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
The problem with Nyx and Pyro is they are reliant on Server meshing, which is highly unlikely to be available this year, much less the next two months.
Its not impossible for them to let you choose to spawn in a the new system without having to introduce server meshing.

The question is whether or not they want to go this route, and very likely the answer will be no.

Forgot your password?