Another one of those "You have 3 ships thread"

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I had lost my excitement for SC for a while, but recently got back in to screw around. Having a lot of fun and falling in love with my ships all over again! Can't wait til a few more features are put in such as fuel gathering and salvage, I think I'll lose my mine then. And the forever wait for the Endeavor.

We'll have to jump in game when you get back home. You can be my gunner and and man those 2xS5 guns on top of my Gemini. Thing is a beast!
Yeah man, I can't wait. Going to be a bit longer than expected, as we got extended a bit, but I'll be back before too long.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What he said, but it's also supposed to have less cargo space (Not currently in game) but have the ability to change out the nose missiles for a scoop just like the standard to fill the same role. It also flies and turns like a brick, it is not a mobile ship. The best strat in combat I've found is to fly away from target around 300-500 speed, decouple, and flip around so they chase you. Keeps them in the sights of guns at all times. Not really an issue with 3 turret gunners, but I haven't had that opportunity yet. The Gemini is also supposed to have thicker armor, which now equates to higher ship HP, but when implemented will reduce weapon penetration and protect better.

I think it's a better ship in almost every way. Except the missiles are bugged in 3.8 and there's no missile pod on the front.
Thanks for the observations and tips, do you know how it handles compared to the standard 'Farer? I'm not in love with the thought it has less cargo, but then if the tanks can be swapped out for cargo boxes that's not too much of a problem...?

Last edited:

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Thanks for the observations and tips, do you know how it handles compared to the standard 'Farer? I'm not in love with the thought it has less cargo, but then if the tanks can be swapped out for cargo boxes that's not too much of a problem...?
It's hard to say as they both handle badly, but I would say it's the difference between the standard Freelancer and the Freelancer MAX.

The MAX technically has bigger engines, but the added mass makes it fly badly compared to the standard version.

The Starfarer and Gemini have the exact same engines and dimensions, but the armor makes it weigh more. Not a huge amount, but about 7,000kg. It doesn't fly much worse, but it's noticeable. The biggest issue isn't the main engine thrust, it's the maneuvering thrusters. Since they're so small, they have trouble with the added mass. Same issue with the MAX.

I wouldn't make a decision on that alone, they both fly like bricks. But the Gemini flies like a brick that someone coated in bronze. Nothing I'd worry about. I'd make the decision based on the extra money it costs and lower cargo space VS the benefits listed above. (I'm not even 100% on a lower cargo space as the RSI website lists them as the same)

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
It's hard to say as they both handle badly, but I would say it's the difference between the standard Freelancer and the Freelancer MAX.

The MAX technically has bigger engines, but the added mass makes it fly badly compared to the standard version.

The Starfarer and Gemini have the exact same engines and dimensions, but the armor makes it weigh more. Not a huge amount, but about 7,000kg. It doesn't fly much worse, but it's noticeable. The biggest issue isn't the main engine thrust, it's the maneuvering thrusters. Since they're so small, they have trouble with the added mass. Same issue with the MAX.

I wouldn't make a decision on that alone, they both fly like bricks. But the Gemini flies like a brick that someone coated in bronze. Nothing I'd worry about. I'd make the decision based on the extra money it costs and lower cargo space VS the benefits listed above. (I'm not even 100% on a lower cargo space as the RSI website lists them as the same)
Food for thoughts, cheers 🙂 🍻

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Ehh, constraints?

1. Pisces. It's a fighter. It has guns. Pew pew pew.
2. Endeavor with hangar module, carrying 4xPisces.
3. Hull D, professional cargo. I wonder if I could use the cargo grid as landing pads for 10xPisces.

Basically, I just want as many pisces as I can.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
IIRC, armor will be a damage reducer. It’s not just more HP, if someone is shooting at you but each gun does less than the armor’s damage reduction value, those guns will do zero damage,

it’s like trying to damage the armor of a battleship with a rifle or handgun, no matter how many times you fire your weapon, the only thing you will end up doing is chipping some paint

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
IIRC, armor will be a damage reducer. It’s not just more HP, if someone is shooting at you but each gun does less than the armor’s damage reduction value, those guns will do zero damage,

it’s like trying to damage the armor of a battleship with a rifle or handgun, no matter how many times you fire your weapon, the only thing you will end up doing is chipping some paint
That's good to know because it explains why there are some pretty terrible yet expensive ships out there which aren't (yet) fit for purpose.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli

It will be nice once we get physicalized components and actual armor in the game.

Different weapons will have different penetration values which can tear through a ship and hit critical systems. That's what will destroy ships when it's done. No more shooting until HP pool is 0 and it explodes.

Ballistic weapons will pierce a hull and strike a cooler or power plant. You'll overheat or go critical. People will scramble to patch the damage so they can run, fight back, or hope to hold out for help.

I'm very excited for physicallized components! It's a step towards releasing Salvage, Repair, and hopefully the Endeavor research/overclocking.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
I dunno why it's hard to name these sometimes. I think those 3 ships are solid. The SH has an extra seat if you need to taxi a friend around, the MSR can run cargo and we don't know what the data mining / smuggling mechanic will be like. Then finally, there's the Carrack, you need a ship to call home. Plus she's versatile, and as a bonus you get your Pieces & Rover along w/ it. :o7:
  1. Super Hornet
  2. Mercury Star Runner
  3. Carrack

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Heep in mind that even the standard 'Farer should be able to do that, so even more cargo! OR you can use the cargo bay to carry arounnd some veicle (your or of paying customers) and use the external cargo pod for valuables...

It will be nice once we get physicalized components and actual armor in the game.

Different weapons will have different penetration values which can tear through a ship and hit critical systems. That's what will destroy ships when it's done. No more shooting until HP pool is 0 and it explodes.

Ballistic weapons will pierce a hull and strike a cooler or power plant. You'll overheat or go critical. People will scramble to patch the damage so they can run, fight back, or hope to hold out for help.

I'm very excited for physicallized components! It's a step towards releasing Salvage, Repair, and hopefully the Endeavor research/overclocking.
Me too, and with pphisicalized damages in place there is the ability to acctually reduce the capacity of a ship even if not destroyed, compered to whtat is now that, at best, you can tear apart some weapon.
That will be a huge gameplay change.

Forgot your password?