Anthem.... another let down.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So you are saying you paid for a game that you did not get...
I believe he's saying he paid for Anthem and he got Anthem.

You paid for Anthem and got Anthem too. What either of you thought Anthem was going to be eventually? Totally subjective built upon personal opinion of what you saw prior to being able to play the game.

If you don't like it, fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion of that. I am curious though, how did you come to that opinon? what did you see before the game release that gave you the impression it was going to be something it isn't...?

What did you base your opinion on, prior to playing the game? You say "You paid for a game you didn't get" so my presumption is that your opinion was "Wow, Anthem is going to be X" and then when you played it, it wasn't X it was Z... So what made you think it was going to be X? Please cite your sources with links if possible, as players were able to with the disappointment that was No Mans Sky release where they bought out all the videos of the developer saying it will have XYZ and only had B 🙂 I'd really like to try to understand the root of your disappointment.

DISCLAIMER - you are more than welcome to your opinion. It's yours and I would not dream of trying to dissuade you from that. But be aware just as others can't dissuade you from your opinion, you can't really dissuade others from theirs.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Space Marshal
Feb 10, 2015
RSI Handle
ATempest
I'm playing Anthem on Xbox One at the moment, doing the strongholds on Grandmaster 1 difficulty.
Games quite fun for me, each class is unique and the story is ok.

I don't see myself playing the game for much longer though, burnt through most of the content already.
However, the game is setup for continued expansions, so more content to come.
The only real issue I find is the loading time and connection problems.

That being said, I recommend Anthem as its worth a playthrough.
At least until Division 2 comes out soon.

Reactions: Montoya and Scape

Sintha

Space Marshal
Sep 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Sintha
It released Friday and I've played about 5 hours. I'm happy with my progression, in having a blast with the storm and I'll be playing it for quite a while.

Reactions: Scape

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Just reading all the comments above.....

its a good game, the action is very good but rewards and loot are poor.

The customization is a little lacking but then javelins look cool.

Its not a bad story...but its not finished.

The world is beautiful but going into different areas hits you with lots of loading screens.

......you know its very 1 for 1 with good points and bad points. Not a single doubt in my mind that it will get better over time story wise, but something simple like the amount of decals or customizing weapons should be in launch day.

Im going to keep playing, it hasnt 'dissapointed' me.

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
It seems to be a game with around 20 or so hours of content. Quests are simple and repetitive. It does make me wonder how much real game play will be in S42 Episode 1 and how much of that game play will be travelling effectively doing nothing.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
It seems to be a game with around 20 or so hours of content. Quests are simple and repetitive. It does make me wonder how much real game play will be in S42 Episode 1 and how much of that game play will be travelling effectively doing nothing.
Oh i wouldnt worry about that. For some reason i dont think CIG will mess that game up

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
From my perspective, people burn themselves out on these kinds of games from overplaying them from launch. 55 hours or 85 hours or however many into the game.... thats longer than most campaigns in most games.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Well all their eggs are in that basket for sure.
Yea your right, the good thing is that they control every aspect of the launch themselves. Unlike being pushed to release quicker like alot of studios CIG will have no problem delaying until its ready(they are happy with it). The SC community is also one of the few that are quite understanding in this case.

I think most are happy to wait if it means a 'finished' product

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
IMO

So far i think of it as diablo in iron man suits...
as a wow replacement its fine, it fills a FPS play while watching tv for an hour after work niche.
Itll be ok as a weekend play with some friends (when not in SC) niche as well.

i think alot of people seem to apply massive expectations on content which is built to be rolled out over time.
Look at all the negativity that came out after the demo... based on a demo, not even the real game.

Tech in gaming has evolved alot, and the expectations have out grown beyond what can be done quickly, this has led game companies to shift to models where they can provide content quicker, but will enevitably end up falling short of expectations.

Ive been developing large scale systems for 25 years and i can tell you the expectation management is often a bigger challenge than the actual engineering.
Theyve got a whole roadmap laying out how the new content is going to roll out: https://www.ea.com/games/anthem/acts

It will take time to find balance, i think that today game development trends are greatly more inclusive of player communities than before, i think Star Citizen may be closer to an extreme end of the scale, but i think of Anthem as being on the same path.

Anyway, 😝 quit yer bitching and go play Star Citizen instead.

View attachment 11945
My expectations for a video game are what they show me and tell me. The standard hasnt risen the lying has. My expectation was the real in-game footage and the numerous cosmetics that arent there and the choices that mattered which isnt true.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Just waiting for the inevitable Anthem Battle Royale mode 😩........actually might be a good in a game like Anthem lol

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
From my perspective, people burn themselves out on these kinds of games from overplaying them from launch. 55 hours or 85 hours or however many into the game.... thats longer than most campaigns in most games.
Anthem's time is mostly spent in loading screens, walking around to talk to NPCs or traveling to the next objective. Out of 55 hours, Id roughly say 30 hours of that is in the above actions. I wait 2-3 minutes per load, with multiple, maybe 4 loads per mission with armory etc., 20 minutes getting conversations inbetween missions.

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
Anthem's time is mostly spent in loading screens, walking around to talk to NPCs or traveling to the next objective. Out of 55 hours, Id roughly say 30 hours of that is in the above actions. I wait 2-3 minutes per load, with multiple, maybe 4 loads per mission with armory etc., 20 minutes getting conversations inbetween missions.
It installed on HDD or SSD? People say it loads alot faster on SSD but mine is on HDD and they do take a while

Mushin

Space Marshal
Aug 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Naelobo
Ive installed it on both, once on laptop with SSD and one on a HDD, and it doesnt make a difference on my end.

supitza

Vault Dweller
Aug 5, 2015
RSI Handle
AstroSupitza
Even though the game is objectively very bad (crashes, muted sound, lost items, repetitive missions, incompatible loot inscriptions etc.) and it pisses me off SO HARD SOMETIMES, I somehow keep logging in and playing for a little while every day until I get pissed again.
My Origin Premier Access expires tomorrow and I don't think I'll pay for another month. Maybe in April or May, when the next important bits of content are added. I don't care much for Freeplay events (which are a bit... uneventful).

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
The point is Anthem is hugely misrepresented by their dev's, they gave interview after interview promising stuff that is not in the game, they showed game play footage that is not in the game, I am sorry if I expect a company to deliver on their own promises, this game was 6 years in the making there is no excuse for selling the public a chopped up version of what they promised.

Again I dare anyone to watch the E3 trailer from 2017 and tell me this is what we got.... anyone??

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
The only thing i been playing is Darkest Dungeon and i paid like 8 bucks for it on sale.I don't touch triple A titles anymore unless its a gift.Gaming for me as a whole has went down the tube sadly.Any new news in regards to when they will be wrapping up SC development ??

Reactions: Scape and supitza

Firen

Vice Admiral
Feb 6, 2018
RSI Handle
jeremyD
I m actualy realy enjoying to play anthem casualy like 1 or 2 hour a day.

I m still doing the story mission and a little open world.

I wasnt expecting much from anthem and it s giving me a good way to enjoy my evenings

Forgot your password?