Anthem bricking ps4 warning

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Multiple people have been reporting major issues with Anthem on ps4. I don't know how many people are on ps4 but the issue has reached the point of bricking a ps4. Don't know how accurate this is but there are multiple reports of issues. Just putting this info out to warn ps4 users to do some research. The issue is a total shutdown of the ps4 crash to bricking your ps4 and if you don't know what bricking is. Your ps4 becomes more useless than a drink coaster.

That is a lie.

Yes, there is something causing a hard shutdown, but its not bricking.

1) PS4 users need to start in safemode and select rebuild database, and it works again.

2) Sucks for Bioware to have this issue happening now.

3) They are working to fix it.
Added: If you dont know how to boot in safemode. https://support.playstation.com/s/article/Safe-Mode-PS4?language=en_US

I also have heard unplugging the system and power dumping by holding the power button to drain what little is left in the system to do a complete dump has worked. Hopefully, this will get fixed soon.

Again, not exactly proof but the closest thing until there is an official response from either the console maker or the game designer or some journalists do some journalism. Nice to see the article was updated though, it's a start - the next step is not parroting randomers off the internet until you can corroborate their story and make sure they have googled "how to reset my playstation" first. No offense to the reddit person who thought their PS was borked, I didn't know how to reset a PS3 until I had to.

Thanks for wanting to pass the info on, that's all we can do until better info is provided and you did state "I don't know how accurate this is but..." so kudos.

As for consoles pffffft the PC Master Race is the way forward for you.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Mmmm, found links to articles on Bricking but they are not very conclusive:

"Reportedly"

"Claim"

"Say"

Do journalists not try to contact people these days?

Last edited:

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
the issue has rewched to the point of bricking a ps4
That is a lie.

1) PS4 users need to start in safemode and select rebuild database, and it works again.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
It was a prod and those who dont use them as the savages they are.
I don't use them, though I live in Arizona and most of the time cold drinks don't form condensation on the sides due to the lack of moisture in the air.

I'll only use them during monsoon season when the sky desides to pressure wash the dust off of the state. Only then will my drinks start to sweat.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
That is a lie.

There have been people stating it has bricked their ps4 I personally can't verify this to be true or not, but personally, I wouldn't want to brick my ps4 at the risk of testing that lie. So that is why I put this info out there for PS4. I did read about unplugging the ps4 completely and holding the power button to do a power dump, but again. Just info for people to be careful about, you lose a 500$ console if it bricks and it can never be recovered, so those are serious allegations if found to be true. Be careful people ^.^ do you have evidence it is a lie so I can edit my post?

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
How would that even be possible?

A shutdown could happen if ... well ... coder words and technical concepts go here. Something about widgets. But bricking would have to damage the bios or OS. How would a game actually do that?

I am sceptical.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
How would that even be possible?

A shutdown could happen if ... well ... coder words and technical concepts go here. Something about widgets. But bricking would have to damage the bios or OS. How would a game actually do that?

I am sceptical.
I'm skeptical too, but the hard drive etc isn't mean to be power dropped like that and every time it happens the ps4 does a hard disk check to ensure everything is fine. I can see how it could happen as I have done homebrew on the ps3 before and the risk involving the hard drive doing a total power drop in an instant could damage the kernel, not 100% fluent in that but I could see it happening. Here is the post for the brick poster that I currently know of that stated it happened to them. Some people have suggested it was a special edition of a ps4 that had some flaw in it? Not entirely sure, but if it is true its a HUGE risk you're taking by continuing playing. The brick thing is most likely residual power keeping the system in a standby state of corruption for a few minutes but I personally would wait until a more official statement has been made. https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ax246k View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ax246k/psa_to_playstation_anthem_players/

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
I'm skeptical too, but the hard drive etc isn't mean to be power dropped like that and every time it happens the ps4 does a hard disk check to ensure everything is fine. I can see how it could happen as I have done homebrew on the ps3 before and the risk involving the hard drive doing a total power drop in an instant could damage the kernel, not 100% fluent in that but I could see it happening. Here is the post for the brick poster that I currently know of that stated it happened to them. Some people have suggested it was a special edition of a ps4 that had some flaw in it? Not entirely sure, but if it is true its a HUGE risk you're taking by continuing playing. The brick thing is most likely residual power keeping the system in a standby state of corruption for a few minutes but I personally would wait until a more official statement has been made. https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ax246k View: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnthemTheGame/comments/ax246k/psa_to_playstation_anthem_players/
Yes but homebrew and “residual power” doesn’t make sense when applied to a game. This is EA and BIOWARE. They know what the fuck they’re doing even if what the reliable fact checkers over at Reddit post validators believe otherwise.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
do you have evidence it is a lie so I can edit my post?

"[Update - 10:51 a.m. 3/5/19]: A workaround for the PS4s that no longer turn on after shutting down while running Anthem has been shared on Reddit, which was able to help one person who reached out to us to get their console working again.

The method requires booting the console in safe mode by holding down the power button for several seconds until you hear two beeps. From there players need to select the option labeled “Rebuild Database.” When that process is complete, the PS4 should be working again.

We have updated the headline for this article to reflect that it no longer appears that Anthem is bricking some consoles, but rather causing software issues that can still be fixed by operating them in safe mode."
Again, not exactly proof but the closest thing until there is an official response from either the console maker or the game designer or some journalists do some journalism. Nice to see the article was updated though, it's a start - the next step is not parroting randomers off the internet until you can corroborate their story and make sure they have googled "how to reset my playstation" first. No offense to the reddit person who thought their PS was borked, I didn't know how to reset a PS3 until I had to.

Thanks for wanting to pass the info on, that's all we can do until better info is provided and you did state "I don't know how accurate this is but..." so kudos.

Last edited:

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos

Yea I figured it was temp as well, i'll add that to the main post till a more official statement is released. Sounds like a soft brick and not a hard brick to me.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yea I figured it was temp as well, i'll add that to the main post till a more official statement is released. Sounds like a soft brick and not a hard brick to me.
We've had our PS3 softbrick multiple times, usually does the "rebuilding filesystem" thing when we do a hard reset and it's fine again. Surprised more people aren't used to it to be honest, it's once every few months with our machine.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
We've had our PS3 softbrick multiple times, usually does the "rebuilding filesystem" thing when we do a hard reset and it's fine again. Surprised more people aren't used to it to be honest, it's once every few months with our machine.
You’ve had Anthem running on your PS3 for years?!

SORCERY!

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
You’ve had Anthem running on your PS3 for years?!

SORCERY!
Between the discord post and this, it seems like you are just trolling this now when I'm just trying to bring awareness the people playing Anthem on Ps4 to be careful until more evidence was brought out. My intention was to hopefully get more people to help look into this for PS4 users but as I've stated on the discord I have a 20th Anniversary PS4, if bricking was real I would be super pissed if it bricked so I put out a warning here to help users. Not to bash Anthem or bring fire and brimstone as you put it in discord.

Forgot your password?