Anybody else excited about the gameplay options Land Claims could open?

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
Edit to add Q and A link : https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16292-Q-A-Land-Claim-License/

Edit to add:
https://imgur.com/r/starcitizen/yEhmvQq

For those worried about lack of land, was shown this image which gives you a visual representation of what a 4x4 looks like from orbit on Daymar.

Pudding for thought.

I had some trepidation about this mechanic when i first heard about it and have personal experience of what a ballbreaker it can be to be on the wrong end of a land rush.

However after watching the full ATV and mulling it over for a bit i'm suddenly really pumped about how they are doing this.

Firstly anyone just running out there and just throwing down claims willy-nilly could be wasteful.
Whereas proper scouting and scanning could yield big rewards in terms of mineral/resource rich land. This adds big incentives for people like myself who are looking to focus on exploration in terms of information selling or scouting prime locations for the org.

The mechanic of having to take the chip to be authorised opens roles for data-runners and pirates for hunting said data-runners.

People who just want to farm, mine or work production just hit the motherload.

The RP opportunities with bandits and settlers are great too.

I think how the "UEE protection" and consequences of attacking these claims is handled will be really interesting to follow.

So yeah I'm really buzzing about this now.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'm glad people are enthusiastic and i'll definitely visit to sell you stuff (Toilet roll mostly), but i'll be nomadic - home is where my Taurus is.

If I choose to make a home point it'll probably be in one of the lesser visited colonies like Leir with the Outsiders or Bethor Station on Taranis III, mature settlements that don't necessarily go all-in for the Citizen thing - as a pacifist at heart I'll probably turn my back on military service and be called a Civilian all my life so i'd likely go where the like minded sentient species are.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Oh yeah, I'm excited about the possibilities but it needs more implementation detail at the moment. I own 1 land claim right now, from my Pioneer purchase, but if it's implemented as a piece of the economy (as is insinuated in the description, but not in any detail) then I will happily buy plenty more. I have owned virtual land in other games, it can be a very lucrative trade tool if it's executed right.

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
I'm glad people are enthusiastic and i'll definitely visit to sell you stuff (Toilet roll mostly), but i'll be nomadic - home is where my Taurus is.

If I choose to make a home point it'll probably be in one of the lesser visited colonies like Leir with the Outsiders or Bethor Station on Taranis III, mature settlements that don't necessarily go all-in for the Citizen thing - as a pacifist at heart I'll probably turn my back on military service and be called a Civilian all my life so i'd likely go where the like minded sentient species are.
I probably won't be land bound either.
Well........except for the giant TEST bar and theme park i will be holidaying in.

Ah i can see it now.

"TESTLAND......where all your drink-fueled dreams crash and burn. "

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
Oh yeah, I'm excited about the possibilities but it needs more implementation detail at the moment. I own 1 land claim right now, from my Pioneer purchase, but if it's implemented as a piece of the economy (as is insinuated in the description, but not in any detail) then I will happily buy plenty more. I have owned virtual land in other games, it can be a very lucrative trade tool if it's executed right.
Yeah i definitely think they need to be careful how they do this but i see this opens up exploration to some really lucrative opportunities.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Tameron

Space Marshal
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Tameron
.....except for the giant TEST bar and theme park i will be holidaying in.

Ah i can see it now.

"TESTLAND......where all your drink-fueled dreams crash and burn. "
Im in. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can all build together, maybe on some moon or something.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yeah i definitely think they need to be careful how they do this but i see this opens up exploration to some really lucrative opportunities.
Oohh yeah I keep thinking wanting to buy a Saber next, but I need to remind myself I wanted to do exploration and operations over combat in this game. Heh. Thanks for the reminder. Not that I don't want to do combat, but exploration, mining, and things like that interest me more long term.

Reactions: Passeeo

Cool-Hand-Luke

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Cool-Hand-Luke
Just got home and loaded up the western movie Gold Fever. Movie sucks but has some good tips on claim jumping... Looks like you move on in when no one is around... Or just rob the poor bastards... There's going to be a lot of tears.

But Seriously... I like the idea of ground based game play... I'm all for it.

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
I'd like to hear the thoughts of anyone totally against this and what their issues/fears are about it.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
To be honest, I'm finding it kind of meh. For those that do like it, great for them. I'll enjoy visiting what compounds you can come up with when you decorate for Halloween and put your Christmas lights up. But with so much outer space to wander around and get in trouble in, I think I'd personally not be looking for ways to become sedentary and safe.

Building in lawless land, on the other hand, I think could be kind of fun. Creating compounds that get invaded by foul xenos, defending them from raiders with automated turrets and mercenaries, laying siege to player created moon fortresses, building atop the ruins of your vanquished foes, or even just running frontier general stores selling goods with questionable legal standing. But if it's like that where it's UEE protected, what are you buying stakes from the UEE for?

I don't think it's a terrible idea, and I think I get the appeal. Just not for me, I'm headed west.

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
To be honest, I'm finding it kind of meh. For those that do like it, great for them. I'll enjoy visiting what compounds you can come up with when you decorate for Halloween and put your Christmas lights up. But with so much outer space to wander around and get in trouble in, I think I'd personally not be looking for ways to become sedentary and safe.

Building in lawless land, on the other hand, I think could be kind of fun. Creating compounds that get invaded by foul xenos, defending them from raiders with automated turrets and mercenaries, laying siege to player created moon fortresses, building atop the ruins of your vanquished foes, or even just running frontier general stores selling goods with questionable legal standing. But if it's like that where it's UEE protected, what are you buying stakes from the UEE for?

I don't think it's a terrible idea, and I think I get the appeal. Just not for me, I'm headed west.
This

Also i'm expecting "Non UEE space" being more valuable for reasons. Maybe with more rare minerals and whatsoever. My Carrack will probabbly leave with you (after finding sweet spots for those who want to claim land in UEE)

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
This

Also i'm expecting "Non UEE space" being more valuable for reasons. Maybe with more rare minerals and whatsoever. My Carrack will probabbly leave with you (after finding sweet spots for those who want to claim land in UEE)
Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

I don't think the frontier will even need to have more valuable resources necessarily. I think building secret bases behind Vanduul lines or outlaw fortresses for bounty hunters looking for an unpredictable challenge will be its own type of gameplay. That ought to be value enough to keep people interested. Whatever is built being destroyable and temporary gives it more draw even.

Reactions: Talonsbane
Forgot your password?