Anybody else excited about the gameplay options Land Claims could open?

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
So i have been thinking a little bit more about land claim game play after reading the Q&A now ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16292-Q-A-Land-Claim-License/ )

" If someone destroys my beacon what happens to my claim on the land?

The destruction of a beacon is a criminal offense but has no impact on who holds legal title to the land. Because they provide a basic level of remote monitoring capability, though, owners may wish to replace any units that are rendered inoperative."

"Does every player need a claim license?

No. Land claims are only of benefit to those players who want UEE protection when constructing their own outpost, extracting value from an area’s natural resources, or financially speculate in the real estate market. If players decide to do this on unclaimed land then they do so without any rights to the land and any protection which comes with those rights."

"Can I mine or otherwise exploit someone else’s land without permission?

Yes, although doing so is a serious crime and UEE security will respond if you are sighted. There’s a lot of real estate within a solar system and limited patrols, though, so property owners worried about the theft of their assets will often want to supplement public security forces with enhanced monitoring hardware and automated defense drones, hire their own dedicated mercenaries, or potentially join or negotiate a defense contract with a large organization."

And i thought CRIME and i realized that i'm not currently totally happy with the fidelity of the crime system.

Current crime System: You do a crime and you instantly get a criminal flag.

What i want? "I want the almost perfect crime"

What if the UEE isn't perfect in tracking down criminals. So crime which happens around spacestations, jump gates and other "highly observed" space will be tracked down by the police forces in the currently known system very quickly.
Crime which happens around beacons, non observed space might become a perfect crime if the criminals gets rid of surveillance systems quickly. The Police searches for evidence if they don't find anything you wont get a criminal flag (lets say with a chance of 70% [insert complex calculation formula which takes into consideration the distance of the spotted object how quickly it got knocked out and so on] per surveillance type).
So assume Police forces don't have much time to look through all the data and tell the robbed land claimer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You might want to hire a private detective / bounty hunter who takes the time and searches through the surveillance data and (for example) finds a ship lifting off into space (Lets say a Cutlass Black). He gets a mission to identify lets say 10 Cutlass Black while one is the actual criminal ship.
So he flys through space searches and looks out for those ships (Whatever happens when players logout ¯\_(ツ)_/¯), identifys them and finally finds the proof needed (or gets shot down while doing that) returns that data to UEE (or even returns the criminal)

If he doesn't well perfect crime for the criminalm, while the land claimer lost his property ( (┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ )

-------------------------
I'm hoping for a monthly fee to keep up the land clam
------------------------
Will land claims run out and need to be reclaimed?

Last edited:
Reactions: Passeeo

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
The land ownership idea is absolutely brilliant, for what it can bring to the table in terms of game-play features.

HOWEVER, the fact that they are now selling us virtual land by square meter for real money is fuckin' disgusting. I mean...what's next? Sellin' us space?

I can actually see it happen. They made ships and they're sellin'em to us. They made hangars and they're sellin'em to us. They made land and now they're sellin' it to us. Pretty soon they'll start sellin' us outpost kits, space station kits, apartments and office spaces in that cool city they've shown us...so why not sell us space too?

You know what? I'll buy a constellation shaped as a beer mug and a chair on the tallest building to look at it every night!

The worst thing is...I'm really itchin' to buy me one of'em plots of land. Damn!

Reactions: Passeeo and TypeO

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
Since no one can be on 24/7 yeah not even the die hard Korean, its just creating targets. Its like leaving your capital ship empty whilst you go to bed sure it will be fine tomorrow. When the rumours of land sale were floating on reddit I was really hoping they were wrong. It really makes me want to refund.

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
So they want more real money from us? Sorry, but it's almost comical now.

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
Since no one can be on 24/7 yeah not even the die hard Korean, its just creating targets.
Indeed, they are pushing us to put a lot of stock into the whole "UEE protection" mechanic, but any description of how that'll work is utterly vague, because it's a freakin' tall order. Response time? Size and power of the response team? I mean, even in real life, police forces are much better at punishing felonies than they are at preventing them. And in order for the game mechanic to activate, it is required for someone to actually open fire or affect the integrity of your assets in some way, so a certain amount of damage taken by them is unavoidable.

So, say I buy a land and build a pretty shiter on it, then go away on some expedition for a month. By the time I get back, it's most likely I'll find just a hole in the ground, and the fact that it's surrounded by empty UEE bullet shells will not make me feel any better.

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
UEE protection will be a bounty placed on said peretrators its just another game mechanic after the event of course, and assuming you can find any evidence. Its like please someone play a trader so all the pirates can have targets.

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
Well how they balance punishment in this game is going to affect how people live in this universe.
The land claim beacons are a form of protection that relies on how this is balanced.

They have already said that you won't be able to claim plots to blockade important locations so the other thing to worry about is people taking the most mineral rich land early.
Well to do that they have said you are going to have to scan and survey the locations.

So really the true "Pay2win" aspect is the ability to buy ships that have scanners for this beforehand, because wildly dropping down beacons all over the place is just plain stupid. This is something that should be more concerning if anything to those claiming this is Pay2win.

The only reason to shove a bunch of plots down is to establish a large base of operations that asthetically suits the Org.
Other than that,placing land beacons down willy-nilly will just yield negative returns.

Reactions: Cherokeedog

Cherokeedog

Admiral
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
Cherokeedog
So really the true "Pay2win" aspect is the ability to buy ships that have scanners for this beforehand, because wildly dropping down beacons all over the place is just plain stupid. This is something that should be more concerning if anything to those claiming this is Pay2win.
I don't see how people can see this as being Pay2win, but I guess if one really tries hard enough to see his hair growin' on his back, he'll eventually succeed. Now, I was half asleep when I watched the video on this matter, but I recall Lando sayin' that if each current backer would buy one plot, they'd only cover half of one planet. I also recall (not sure though) they said something about some resources being replenished in time.

However, I'm pretty sure there will be a ton of people dropping down beacons all over the place just for the sake of it.

The only reason to shove a bunch of plots down is to establish a large base of operations that asthetically suits the Org.
Other than that,placing land beacons down willy-nilly will just yield negative returns.
Indeed, the feature makes a lot of sense when viewed form the perspective of an organization, no matter the purpose of acquiring said land. It's the little guy I'm concerned about.

But then again...I'll probably end up drinkin' and stinkin' on my ship anyway, most likely lost in some corner of the verse, while waiting for a rescue for which I forgot to launch a distress call.

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
I'd be interested to see
But then again...I'll probably end up drinkin' and stinkin' on my ship anyway, most likely lost in some corner of the verse, while waiting for a rescue for which I forgot to launch a distress call.

Yeah i'll be mostly space bound so owning land doesn't hold much appeal for me.
I'd be interested to know the ratio of people who are actually desperate to own land as it stands.

Reactions: BluePilote

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Thats the funding model. As has been stated many multiple times, you can earn ALL this in game. ALL of it. All you need is the cheapest starter pack and you'll have access to it all - You want a Genesis? Well you'll just have to do missions and make cash and one day you'll have it...

Those who have pledged for a Hornet or Connie Taurus or Hull-C ship get a leg-up the ladder a little, but what you do in the 'Verse is entirely down to you - your experiences will be what you go out and do. And hopefully you won't have to pay a single penny more for it, because of the extra they can collect now.

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO

Yeah i mean like Naff said, they have to have a funding model and this is likely to be the sort of thing they sell to keep things running.

They will be selling more services/items as development goes on and when the game goes live.
So expect a lot more of this at some stage.

How else do you expect them to finish the game then keep it running?
The alternative is a mandatory subscription model which people don't want and they promised not to use anyway.

I don't have a ton of money so i won't be rocking a fleet of ships and half a moon to park them on, but for those that do spend that money, fair enough. I still get to do what i want to do anyway and they help fund the universe i'm playing in.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I don't like it, but I get it.

You still have to go to the planet/moon and claim it, it's not reserving it. If someone beats you there, tough luck I guess.

You can still build bases without a claim, just without baddies getting tagged by the UEE as breaking the law. This will be wholly necessary in cool awesome lawless space where there's no UEE to track people or care.

You can get the claim in game, although I maintain that having the claim(s) day 1 rather than day 14 or so of grinding is a big leg up for the top 1% of spots on a given planet.

You cannot however, buy buildings, landing pads, defenses or whatnot to plop down, you need to either haul them in (after buying them in-game) or have a Pioneer to build it.

That being said if CIG does start to sell AA turrets, buildings, etc etc that are "ready to go" and you can drop them onto a claim day 1, that is blatantly P2W I would say.

So yeah, I don't like it, but frankly it's easier to justify a 8x8km patch of dirt than a 650 ship with 24 S4 guns, let's be honest ya'll.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I enjoyed and appreciated your post, so please don't take the following as criticism :slight_smile:

I maintain that having the claim(s) day 1 rather than day 14 or so of grinding is a big leg up for the top 1% of spots on a given planet.
There are going to be 37 UEE systems. Thats a lotta spots.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
if the only penalty is a criminal status for the player that destroys a beacon this is a system ripe for exploitation

1. my criminal character destroys a beacon

2. my buddies loot and pillage the claim with impunity

for all practical purposes claims in UEE space are no safer than settlements without claims in lawless space

so if I have to man my settlement 24/7 to protect it either way, what's the point of buying a claim?

Passeeo

Admiral
Jan 20, 2017
RSI Handle
PASSEEO
if the only penalty is a criminal status for the player that destroys a beacon this is a system ripe for exploitation

1. my criminal character destroys a beacon

2. my buddies loot and pillage the claim with impunity

for all practical purposes claims in UEE space are no safer than settlements without claims in lawless space

so if I have to man my settlement 24/7 to protect it either way, what's the point of buying a claim?

What makes you think they'll make it so you are able to destroy a beacon and what purpose would it have?
The land doesn't move and lets assume trespassing triggers an alarm.

*Maybe UEE security is dispatched and shoots you and your buddies down with impunity and maybe reclaiming your ship after that is a hell of a lot more expensive and time consuming than the effort to raid the land was worth due to the fact you lost your ship performing criminal activities.

*Maybe the security forces don't get there in time and you spend resources to get into a structure which holds a vault with nothing but a teddy bear dressed in TEST colors. "Whoopeee" you cry as you make off with your ill gotten gains and head for the nearest bar where the local scum and villainy hold up.
Later as you stagger out of said bar you are bonked over the head by the Bounty hunter(another player/players) who was sent to find and detain you after you triggered the alarms on the raided property.
You now spend 30mins game time in a cell and after that you have to charter passage on a ship back to your vessel which costs you half of your teddy bear collection.
Guess raiding that land in UEE space wasn't worth it after all.....

*Maybe you get away with your gains and managed to make it outside UEE space, avoiding security forces at every jump point you need to take but the cost was more than what you managed to pillage from the "Job"......or maybe it wasn't and you hit the motherload.
The poor landowner learns a valuable lesson that most people that play sandbox games know already.

Don't own what you can't defend.

VFV

Grand Admiral
Nov 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Vfv
I am very excited about this. For one, with how big our fleet is, we will be able to really lock down some good land and resources. If base building ends up being a thing, would be fun to have a giant TEST base. Also defending our lands, conquering others, seems like a good time. In m very excited for this. Granted I have not watched the video yet on this. So I do not have all the details, just assuming lots of things right now. Gonna watch the vid after work.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If I choose to make a home point it'll probably be in one of the lesser visited colonies like Leir with the Outsiders or Bethor Station on Taranis III, mature settlements that don't necessarily go all-in for the Citizen thing - as a pacifist at heart I'll probably turn my back on military service and be called a Civilian all my life so i'd likely go where the like minded sentient species are.
I don't think you would be welcome on Leir. The settlement function is for inside the UEE and Leir is not UEE. Also IIUC, they don't like humans and consider us all tainted, and themselves spiritually superior, based upon a cult-like background. Think Jamestown. They're supposed to be all crazy and like that.

Forgot your password?