Anybody else picked up ARK?

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
Some buddies and I have been playing it the last few days, and it is pretty fun already for being in alpha. It's kind of an interesting cross between Planet Explorers, The Forest, and The Deep. With dinosaurs.

Ebola

Captain
Apr 16, 2015
RSI Handle
Jynx106
I am considering it, only thing I've seen from the gameplay so far is there is way too many dinosaurs that are kind of just there.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
You mean it seems too populated, or that they aren't aggressive enough?

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I want it so bad and I would probably set up a TEST server if that is possible but I dont have a computer capable of handling it :(

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
i will buy it. damn, another early access game in my steam lib.

i'll probably launch a dedicated TEST server later on AWS, just to see how it is done

seung, i'll hand you the credentials, i'm mostly not there during the weekend

Last edited:
Reactions: SeungRyul

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
Alright. Test ARK Server (12 Slot East Coast, v170.4):

Address: 107.191.36.134:35000 or test.shout.li:35000
Password: test.is.best

Pls give feedback if it's working :p i'm at work and can't test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeungRyul

Myre

Pit Crew
Staff member
Feb 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Myre
Seems like a fad to me to be honest, will keep an eye on it but (as painfully ironic as it sounds) I'm really worn out by all these pre-alpha games that go nowhere or 'show so much promise'.

I'll wait to see if it goes beta.

Reactions: Trick Shot Bob

Annitias

Minister of Propaganda
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Oct 5, 2014
RSI Handle
Annitias
So disappointed in it. 10/10 would uninstall again.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
Alright. Test ARK Server (12 Slot East Coast, v170.4):

Address: 107.191.36.134:35000 or test.shout.li:35000
Password: test.is.best

Pls give feedback if it's working :p i'm at work and can't test it.

I'm checking right now although it probably wont run on my laptop :(

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
As mentioned last night in Twitch chat, H1Z1 left me kind of wary of companies charging for brand new alpha versions of sandbox survival games like this. I was a die-hard DayZ mod player for a long time and since the standalone version of DayZ was less than stellar and H1Z1 seemed promising, plus SOE had put out some great games in the past, I went all-in and bought Premium Edition Alpha access to H1Z1 for $40.

A few weeks later, I got bored with it due to lack of PVE content updates and moved on.

The feeling of "meh" was further exacerbated by the fact that Daybreak (formerly SOE) seems to be focusing almost exclusively on the Battle Royale mode, a veritable Counterstrike with a big map filled with poison gas, instead of the zombie survival sim that it's supposed to be. They are working on character modeling and new weapons and such (I still follow them on Twitter), but when I spoke with a couple Daybreak devs at PAX East last March and asked why we haven't seen bigger maps or more base crafting functionality like we were promised, I was told all those things are still in the works, but they are just coming out...later. At this point, I'm still enthusiastic we'll eventually get a decent zombie survival sim with H1Z1, but I'm not holding my breath.

I played DayZ Epoch for over a year and was a mod on a popular server. I was hoping H1Z1 was going to be a better version of Bohemia's DayZ standalone offering, since development of that game has also stagnated. Instead, we got Call of Duty with zombies, abandoned PVE content, and a playground for griefers.

That said, I'm not interested in paying $25 for yet another half-baked survival game. I'd rather spend that money on digital spaceships I won't be able to fly for years instead. ;)

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Baron has a sub server for it too. I'm probably not going to get it but just continue to watch him and Grakees struggle.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
I'm playing with a couple of friends, and it is a lot of fun for us.

Perhaps it's the diversification of tasks, so we're well suited to do lots of things.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
Okay so I won a copy last night on Grakees' stream so I guess I'm playing all night and tomorrow.

Forgot your password?