Anybody else picked up ARK?

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I was on the same thought process at Captain Richard with this. After H1Z1 I was burnt out from survival games.....

BUT

I actually just got it on Steam; but will not be able to play it till July when I get home.

Why the change of heart? Unlike H1Z1 this game is something that I can let my daughters play. I discovered when I came home from deployment they are in the MINECRAFT world. I would like them to play something that has more to it... and Dino DNA.

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
I discovered when I came home from deployment they are in the MINECRAFT world. I would like them to play something that has more to it... and Dino DNA.
I once made a remote-controlled flying bomber (aircraft was powered by Red Frame, and the controls were done via ComputerCraft) that was armed with nuclear explosives in Minecraft. There isn't a lot to the vanilla game, but with mods it has a whole lot to it. Mystcraft was a fun mod too with the ability to create new pocket worlds and shape them how you want.

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
I bought ark yesterday, saw it was a little cheaper in the steam sale...

Get in and the game melts my gpu, find out it defaulted to max graphics on 4k, so fiddle with that putting it on medium at 1080p and suddenly everything's smooth as silk.

Play game, pick up rocks from the beach, punch a tree for an age before I start getting wood, go on the inventory and make a pickaxe, feeling good. Put my pickaxe on my hotbar and move inland, suddenly a giant crocodile attacks, I rush to get my pickaxe ready but my character assumed that the hotbar pickaxe meant make a new pickaxe. Get eaten before I finish crafting a second pickaxe.

10/10

Pr0totype dFA

Space Marshal
Jan 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Pr0totype_dFA
I've been playing it for a week or so and for the most part it's a decent game. However, on the server I play on with a buddy of mine (EU) it rubberbands like mad. I own a lot of the survival games and this one stands out to me imo. Already 30 hours in with little time to play and tamed at least 10 raptors and a triceratops. The bad side of the game is that it requires constant attention on a daily basis if you want to keep your dinos alive by feeding them but they said they will fix that issue soon or at least work on it. Great fun with a friend or more and hopefully I don't get bored of this one too soon. My 980 Ti is running it almost maxed out on Epic (sky/clouds about 70% and AA on High) but the server is what ruins it for me. Definitely a game for patient people dealing with bugs and unoptimized gaming

Last edited:

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
On sale on Steam right now for $24.89, down from $29.99.

It they drop it down to $20 or less, I may actually try it out.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
I've been playing it for a week or so and for the most part it's a decent game. However, on the server I play on with a buddy of mine (EU) it rubberbands like mad. I own a lot of the survival games and this one stands out to me imo. Already 30 hours in with little time to play and tamed at least 10 raptors and a triceratops. The bad side of the game is for not it requires constant attention on a daily basis if you want to keep your dinos alive by feeding them but they said they will fix that issue soon or at least work on it. Great fun with a friend or more and hopefully I don't get bored of this one too soon. My 980 Ti is running it almost maxed out on Epic (sky/clouds about 70% and AA on High) but the server is what ruins it for me. Definitely a game for patient people dealing with bugs and unoptimized gaming
It plays better then DayZ that is for sure.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
The Tribe of Munken has tamed some beasts:

NeoHelios_SC

Vice Admiral
Apr 18, 2015
RSI Handle
NeoHelios_SC
yeah! looking forward to checking this out. how are we with pvp? NBSI or NRDS? Are we perpetually cohesive as TEST on this server, or every person for themselves with the usual PUGs?

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
yeah! looking forward to checking this out. how are we with pvp? NBSI or NRDS? Are we perpetually cohesive as TEST on this server, or every person for themselves with the usual PUGs?
wat

we just started as newbies, forming 2 testie tribes on our server, one in the north, one in the south

pvp is possible, but we have more problems with dino's atm, than with other players

Lienna

Space Marshal
Feb 27, 2014
RSI Handle
Lienna
Managed to get some more time on my single player game... died, got lost and died. Got eaten by a T-rex while trying to take a parasaur, got lot and died...

Found a quiet beach near a river, settled down, made a hut, set up a small farm and tamed a Triceratops. Suddenly life is good!

One issue I've had is the levels needed for crafting things is arbitrary at times. Most farming stuff can be learnt at level 10 including irrigation pipes, but angled irrigation pipes (which you need as water is almost always downhill) isn't available until level 15. Second issue is the game is unoptimised as sin, but hey that's early access for you.

I should be able to hop on the server tonight before movie night if anyone will be about?

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
Managed to get some more time on my single player game... died, got lost and died. Got eaten by a T-rex while trying to take a parasaur, got lot and died...

Found a quiet beach near a river, settled down, made a hut, set up a small farm and tamed a Triceratops. Suddenly life is good!

One issue I've had is the levels needed for crafting things is arbitrary at times. Most farming stuff can be learnt at level 10 including irrigation pipes, but angled irrigation pipes (which you need as water is almost always downhill) isn't available until level 15. Second issue is the game is unoptimised as sin, but hey that's early access for you.

I should be able to hop on the server tonight before movie night if anyone will be about?
this game is so much more fun in multiplayer... imagine 5 people in leather shorts punching dinos or running from a t-rex screaming.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
http://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/594820656447032287/

official patch notes thread

- Tribe Governance Options: Presets: Communism, Capitalism, Libertarianism, and everything in between via total customizable property, dino, & structure sharing settings. Trive Manager now has "Government" options which can (currently) only be set upon creation of the Tribe. When you are invited to a Tribe, you can now view the Tribe's governance options in the Activation menu before deciding whether to join. If you wish to change this afterwards, Merge the Tribe into a new Tribe.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
The more I each and read about this game the more I wonder if I will even try to get back into elite dangerous when I get home. :/

rogesh

Space Marshal
Oct 25, 2014
RSI Handle
rogesh
is the pw still the same?
it wont accept it :O
it says something about only numbers and characters

edit: ahhh works only if i join via the link postet not through the game itself

Forgot your password?