Anyone trying to be more active?

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Hey guys, if you don't already know I am a police officer, and a bunch of my buddies started trying to get more fit, because it's healthier that way. Basically just making sure they get a certain amount of steps and such, some more than others. But they got a lot of people to start at the department, and even some civilians! They meet up and share their progress with others.

I'm average build but wanted to know if anyone wanted to try to help me start something similar with TESTies? I know personally. If not its chill. Just thought it'd be a fun idea for people to think about. If you have any ideas or anything let me know! If not, no hard feelings! This is about fun, and fitness is not as much fun haha.

AwesomeDude

Vice Admiral
Donor
Apr 25, 2015
RSI Handle
TheAwesomeDude
if you find yourself sitting at a desk all day (like you are a student or have a desk job) you may want to invest in a standing desk or a sit-stand desk (one that can change height). it is far better for you to stand at a desk rather than to constantly sit. also lift brah

Reactions: Blind Owl

PSIcoh

Grand Admiral
Jul 28, 2015
RSI Handle
PSIcoh
Yeah I am, I've got a buddy in physical therapy who's helping me work out 5 days a week. It's intense, but it's working!

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Hey guys! Sorry I'm just getting off work. I was thinking of just setting goals for each other or like a weekly goal for everyone. now I know everyone has different needs and such. or maybe doing a challenge like who ever loses the most percentage of weight. Something to help people get motivated. I'm still in the early stages of deciding. Just wanted to see what everyone would like from it.

Reactions: Harkuno

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
Hey guys! Sorry I'm just getting off work. I was thinking of just setting goals for each other or like a weekly goal for everyone. now I know everyone has different needs and such. or maybe doing a challenge like who ever loses the most percentage of weight. Something to help people get motivated. I'm still in the early stages of deciding. Just wanted to see what everyone would like from it.
I like the idea of a competition/challenge, they're always good for motivation :)

Definitely wanting to get back to the level of fitness I had as a kid; I could easily run more than a mile back then. Nowadays, I can barely run a quarter of that distance :( (lol oops).

Fenrig

Rear Admiral
May 25, 2015
RSI Handle
Fenrig
I am interested in participating in something like this. I've lately been trying to drink less soda since that is a major source of the empty calories I consume. It has curbed the number of whiskey and colas I consume, now I just need to work on the gin and tonics. Getting more active can't hurt since I currently sit at a desk most of the day.

In any case if somebody wanted to organize it and make it into a light competition, I have been an Imperator subscriber for several months, and I receive two instances of hangar flair each month. I certainly don't need the second one, so I'd be willing to put them up as some sort of prize.

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Awesome! I'm finally off today so I am going to really think about this and get something started!

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
I like the idea of a competition/challenge, they're always good for motivation :)

Definitely wanting to get back to the level of fitness I had as a kid; I could easily run more than a mile back then. Nowadays, I can barely run a quarter of that distance :( (lol oops).
I have to stop drinking soda too! My motivation is my buddy just got a kidney stone and he's convinced me it was because he drank to much soda, so I immediately went too one a day! haha. We'll get you back on that mile!

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
I have to stop drinking soda too! My motivation is my buddy just got a kidney stone and he's convinced me it was because he drank to much soda, so I immediately went too one a day! haha. We'll get you back on that mile!
Wow, hope your friend recovers soon :(

Fizzy drinks are just full of sugar and empty calories, it's unbelievable! I've stopped drinking (non-alcoholic :p) fizzy drinks such as Cola since January started and I stated losing weight pretty soon afterward :)

Also remembered that I have some extra motivation, I entered myself in a Tough Mudder race for May, so all the more reason to get in shape! :D

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Fork Putdowns and Plate Pushaways! 7 sets of 3 reps every week.

Down ~34 lbs so far. Still another ~36 to go. If anybody has any specific questions, feel free to ask. I've been involved with the fitness/lifting community for a while now. 90% of the stuff you read online is utter bullshit.

Eat less, lift more.

Reactions: Harkuno

TypeO

Space Marshal
Aug 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Privateer
I generally don't like to go to gyms. That's why I researched a bit in 2013 and decided to start with this program. All you really need is a pull-up bar. The rest can be done with household items. Also this program offers different forms for each exercise.

I also made an Excel sheet to check your daily calorie intake for different goals with two different calculation models. Feel free to use it.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I am interested in participating in something like this. I've lately been trying to drink less soda since that is a major source of the empty calories I consume. It has curbed the number of whiskey and colas I consume, now I just need to work on the gin and tonics. Getting more active can't hurt since I currently sit at a desk most of the day.

In any case if somebody wanted to organize it and make it into a light competition, I have been an Imperator subscriber for several months, and I receive two instances of hangar flair each month. I certainly don't need the second one, so I'd be willing to put them up as some sort of prize.
and @Hero9012

If you want to easily switch from soda, just try carbonated water (you may hate it at first but you may grow to like it better!)

BOX3R

Space Marshal
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
BOX3R
I could use the motivation. Made a lot of progress before my kid was born, and have kept the diet in check, but in the 6 months since just feel like I don't have the time or energy to work out. I know it's a total bullshit excuse, because once I get to the gym I'm fine. I'm also at the desk doing coding / support 10 hours / day ... need to look at standing options. Maybe even a projector / treadmill setup.

IIf you want to easily switch from soda, just try carbonated water (you may hate it at first but you may grow to like it better!)
I'm a carbo-holic and bought a SodaStream. I use the sugar-free Mio / Dasani Drops or whatever. Not that that shit is any better for you, but at least you can control what you put in it.

Forgot your password?