Anyone trying to be more active?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Shifting balance for my life, for the better. Prior to this, I was so focused on powerlifting. I was strong, but out of shape and looked like shit.
What good is being able to deadlift 500+ if you can't even go up a couple flights of stairs without being out of breath? Had a bit of a wake-up after injuring my hip twice in a row...

So I've shifted into a much better balanced plan. Basically it's a three-fold plan, that will hopefully lead to a better and balanced life.

Yoga, Resistance Training, and Cardio.

Yoga's primary function is flexibility and balance. Resistance/weight training is for strength and muscle development, and cardio is for cardio/heart/lung health.

For Yoga, we have started with the 'Yoga With Adrienne' Youtube channel. She has a beginner "30 day challenge" that we are partway through. There's also a newer 30 day challenge that we will do after.

Resistance training: We're doing a dumbbell PPL split. We have an okay apartment complex gym that offers enough equipment for now. So this'll be fine for muscle development. I'm not super concerned with any powerlifting setup or having the best strength gains possible. Been down that road, just taking things easy.

For Cardio...we haven't really done anything. Sorta our weak point here. We're thinking of starting the "C25k" program and work our way up from that. No interest in being long-distance runners, just want to be in good cardiovascular health.
I've been meaning to get into yoga more. One of my friends is a bit of a bodybuilder, and he absolutely swears by. It's not just the flexibility, but the balance that really helps. When you're lifting, you're using more than just your target muscle group; there are tons of other muscles that help keep your form good.

Lockhearts

Commander
Oct 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Lockhearts
I'm surprised I'm not a hell of a lot fatter than I actually am tbh, I spend 90% of my waking life sitting in front of a computer and have never been to a gym or even spent that much time working out/exercising at all. Sure I'm far from fit but I think a lot of the small things that I do have added up to make a difference, like for example I always try to take stairs and avoid elevators/escalators and when I go to the shops I always park kinda far from the entrance and walk that extra little bit.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Harkuno

Sticker King
May 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Harkuno
Finally managed to get a schedule sorted for going to the gym, classes etc..., excluding any exercise i do in my own time, of course :)
Started on it yesterday with leg day (got 3/4 of a mile solid running during treadmill session, nearly there!), re-discovered my gym has a sauna and steam room - another good reason for going! :D

On a side note, what's your opinion on protein shakes/powder and stuff? Is it of any help?

Reactions: Blind Owl

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
I've been meaning to get into yoga more. One of my friends is a bit of a bodybuilder, and he absolutely swears by. It's not just the flexibility, but the balance that really helps. When you're lifting, you're using more than just your target muscle group; there are tons of other muscles that help keep your form good.
Yoga is amazing. And fuck anybody that makes fun of it or calls it unmanly. First time I did yoga, I found out about muscles I never knew existed. My whole body felt better after getting into a routine.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
Finally got my step counter working. Getting hella steps at AMT training, and we haven't even started the high activity stuff yet. 15k daily goal starting on Monday, 20k "optimal," shouldn't be too hard to get.
New insoles should help a bit I hope. Used them yesterday and noticed a small difference.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
Would anybody be interested in a TEST Fit "challenge". It can be a monthly thread or something. Hold each other accountable, ask questions, etc. Granted this is similar, but perhaps something a bit more organized. We can do weigh-ins, victories, etc.

"TEST Gets Fit - April" For example.

---

My fiancee and I have finally settled on our long-term plan. We're going to incorporate Yoga into a daily practice, first thing in the morning. To help wake us up and stretch/warmup. Then we are going to either Run (Couch to 5K training) or lift weights. Both running and lifting are 3-days/week programs. So for example:
Sunday - Rest
Monday - Yoga + Lifting
Tuesday - Yoga + Running
Wednesday - Yoga + Lifting
Thursday - Yoga + Running
Friday - Yoga + Lifting
Saturday - Yoga + Running

For lifting, since we have limited resources in our apartment gym, I have developed the following. It's a variation / expansion of the lifting program "Arnold's Golden Six". Added a few exercises to fill in the gaps and incorporated Supersets to keep the time down. This would be performed each day we lift (3x/week)

upload_2016-3-18_12-38-25.png

We're going to be printing out calendars for each activity (Eating well, Yoga, Running, and Lifting) to mark them down as we complete each day. Adapting the mentality of focusing on completing one day at a time, instead of getting overwhelmed of the bigger picture.

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
Would anybody be interested in a TEST Fit "challenge". It can be a monthly thread or something. Hold each other accountable, ask questions, etc. Granted this is similar, but perhaps something a bit more organized. We can do weigh-ins, victories, etc.
May be a good thing to set up with say, google docs or something, check in as you finish it, and you can see others checking off their stuff as well. I'd says its a good idea.

In other news, got lazy with my tracking, but still under my starting point. I need to clean the weight room, nuked it trying to find stuff.

Forgot your password?