Are people's expectations getting...weird?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I just saw this posted on reddit:
In the livestream, there's a few parts where the players are inside ships flying in the atmosphere and tilted almost 90° to the ground with doors open, but the player inside just sticks to the floor of the ship instead of falling out.

Is it intentional like the ships have their own gravity even inside atmospheres or are the players wearing magnetic boots or something?

I hope in time we will be able to do stuff like throw players trying to take over a ship by opening the side doors and doing barrel rolls
That's something I honestly can say I never thought of. (Now that I do think about it, if you could do that, then your coffee or beer will spill everytime you do a barrel roll).

I guess Chris Roberts (peace be upon him) could work that into the game...I hope people don't mind the game not coming out until 2025!

SweetDee

Vice Admiral
Jan 7, 2017
RSI Handle
SweetDee
I agree that some expectations are pretty far fetched and its due to a lot of people not understanding project management. Scope creep is a real demon on projects like SC.

Specifically on the whole "when a ship tilts and people don't fall out" issue it never crossed my mind as an issue. Inside I'm just not even thinking about it because its a sci-fi game where some liberties are taken. The dark side of my brain says to such people "Who the fuck cares?!", but I'll temper that for now. ;)

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
<<there's a few parts where the players are inside ships flying in the atmosphere and tilted almost 90° to the ground with doors open, but the player inside just sticks to the floor of the ship instead of falling out.>>

The way the local physics works for all ships is, they have their own gravity that always attracts toward the floor, no matter whether the ship is in a gravity well of any sort, or in atmosphere, or has a door open. When the gravity generator is turned off inside a gravity well, then we will see if the area physics becomes local. Right now everything floats in space, but were you in a well with your ship sideways and the generator was turned off, you should fall toward the side of the ship, unless you are accelerating such that there is another inertial force to consider.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Wow. Holy Fuck people (people on reddit) chill the Fuck out and let them design the goddamned game.

Yes, people's expectations are getting fucking ridiculous.

Sorry for the F-bombs.
/rant.
I agree that some expectations are pretty far fetched and its due to a lot of people not understanding project management. Scope creep is a real demon on projects like SC.

Specifically on the whole "when a ship tilts and people don't fall out" issue it never crossed my mind as an issue. Inside I'm just not even thinking about it because its a sci-fi game where some liberties are taken. The dark side of my brain says to such people "Who the fuck cares?!", but I'll temper that for now. ;)
Thank you, far-fetched and ridiculous were the words I was trying to find this morning, but couldn't even after 2 cups of coffee.

The in-game lore has it that each ship has a gravity generator. I don't think that person understands how much that helps him overall, what I hear is that he wants it to be a certain way for one particular game play aspect, and doesn't realize that it may have a bunch of repercussions he won't like!

This guy can't understand physics. or he never played in the neighborhood yard when he was a child.
^ exactly. If he is doing barrel rolls, he is just going to be plastering the guys against the side of the ship, unless he has really good aim and can pinball them out a hole.

BluePilote

Space Marshal
Jun 25, 2017
RSI Handle
BluePilote

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I've said it once, and I'll say it a thousand more times; If CIG doesn't implement animal husbandry, then this whole project has been a waste of everybody's time. I DEMAND my Banu mobile insemination schooner!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Fuckin right!
Fuckity, fuck these fucking fuckers!
Fuckin' eh rights. Glad we're all speakin' the same language.
This guy can't understand physics. or he never played in the neighborhood yard when he was a child.
Swing sets come to mind.
<<there's a few parts where the players are inside ships flying in the atmosphere and tilted almost 90° to the ground with doors open, but the player inside just sticks to the floor of the ship instead of falling out.>>

The way the local physics works for all ships is, they have their own gravity that always attracts toward the floor, no matter whether the ship is in a gravity well of any sort, or in atmosphere, or has a door open. When the gravity generator is turned off inside a gravity well, then we will see if the area physics becomes local. Right now everything floats in space, but were you in a well with your ship sideways and the generator was turned off, you should fall toward the side of the ship, unless you are accelerating such that there is another inertial force to consider.
Truth and Logic prevail. Huzzah!

Forgot your password?