Are you f-ing kidding me ? Gladius.......

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
okay, I see on the matrix that the Gladius is getting 3 size 3 gun slots, so I grab one.
So I take it out to see how it holds up. okay, it has a ok side slip, I can turn with the heavy fighters, kind of slow on the spool-up and the afterburners are lacking. has a good compliment of missiles, 8 rattlers nice. low top-end. oh don`t even try to lock onto a Glaive, hell you can hit them in the head with a club. You have to be so close to get a lock and if you do get the lock and manage to fire the missile, it will not track cause it`s to close.
So okay I get it, it`s a light fighter, it can turn, but it can`t run, it can`t kill anything even with 3 size 2 guns. So lets hope it gets the 3 size 3 gun slots, and maybe a slight boost in top-end speed or a boost in acceleration otherwise this fighter is at a loss and will be sent to be melted. Just my opinion. I was hoping the Gladius would be my have fun fighter toy, but at this point it is just a looks cool toy.
what say you?
It is confirmed to fit three size three guns in 3.0 this isn’t 3.0 yet so it doesn’t yet

Reactions: Maxgerber5250

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
okay I made a little adjustment, i put the gat. back on and put on rattlers. now that`s a little better. still, taking that long to take down a target when its 3 v 1 that`s a lot of time to make a mistake .

Reactions: marcsand2

Jastorin

Vice Admiral
Oct 15, 2017
RSI Handle
Jastorin
okay I made a little adjustment, i put the gat. back on and put on rattlers. now that`s a little better. still, taking that long to take down a target when its 3 v 1 that`s a lot of time to make a mistake .
I used three badger repeaters and made it to the end of vanduul swarm solo after I got use to the ship when I had it. I play swarm solo like everyday for fun so I can pause it when my kids act up so I get a lot of practice. It will be good with three size three guns and kill stuff faster but you shouldn't expect to kill things like your in a Super Hornet, Sabre or Buccaneer they will still out gun it you just have to use the agility of the ship its about staying alive and out flying those type of ships until you get the kill not how fast you can kill them if you are worried about that you will need to upgrade to one of them.

Reactions: marcsand2

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Yeah, I have been disappointed on a couple of occasions with ship loadout changes as well.

However, the S2 Badgers are quite good weapons. It is the S1 Bulldogs are that need lots of work.

Xenorak

Grand Admiral
Jul 12, 2016
RSI Handle
Xenorak
The Gladius was my first ship, it is to this day, my most flown ship and personal favorite despite its flaws.

Formerly you could have swapped the nose turret mount for a single S3 weapon (I think or I'm just crazy) which at the time I felt made up for the lack of firepower fairly well, the missiles were a nice option to finish off an annoying target and move on. It overall relies heavily on its mobility to avoid fire and cannot tank hits for more than a second before losing shields and dying.

However despite this I use it first and foremost to force myself to practice for endurance fights and evasion. I find it to be a perfect ship as a base for practicing piloting, it doesn't carry over to other ships perfectly but it does help get some good habits in you. I've learned a few tricks for missile evasion, and gotten fairly good at fighting in a debris field without eating asteroids and dying. I've started restraining myself from using missiles, and even carry a variety load so i can almost always get a hit if needed. I practice with high alpha weapons with low ammo count to get better at hitting the target and saving ammunition (granted energy weapons don't have ammo, but railguns and such do.) as well as trying to aim for break points like engines, weapons, and wing areas in pirate swarm.

I find that it fits it's description very well as being an old military fighter, updated through the years to stay in service and recently was replaced. Personally I did think it needed some weapon buff, but I think the 3 S3's are excessive, S3's are becoming the standard almost. I would have been fine with a single fixed S3 nose mount, or 2 S1 fixed mounts on the wings. The Buccaneer is another favorite, and it has 2 fixed S1 mounts that work very well with it, they may not pack the same punch as it's 2 S3's and 2 S2's (or 1 S4) but every bit counts against larger targets.

TL;DR: The stats pages are for 3.0 and probably aren't right anyway, just practice with the ship and you can do wonders, no ship is perfect or unbeatable (Look'n @ you Supah Hernitz!) if you know what to do.

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
Are these changes part of "listening to the community" or from looking at data and investigating it themselves, a bit of both I guess?

I always thought the Gladius was for battle hardened ace pilots who could throw the thing around like it was a part of them and was supposed to be superior in agility and flight rather than weaponry.

I do know the speeds is increased on all or most ships in 3.0 so maybe this will balance it, I don't know I want more ships like the Hurricane, it rewards proper understanding of the ship to get everything out of it and I hope the Gladius is one of these ships. It should reward hundreds of hours of practice in that particular ship.
Yes I have no problem getting them in the gun sites and landing hits, but the size 2 lasers just give the target a sun tan. I guess if all 3 guns were ballistic might work. I haven't tryed that yet.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
You all have to remember, SQ42, you will be spending a lot of time in a Gladius. When they finalize it, I think it will be a badass ship that takes some skill to see its full potential.

Forgot your password?