Are you f-ing kidding me ? Gladius.......

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
okay, I see on the matrix that the Gladius is getting 3 size 3 gun slots, so I grab one.
So I take it out to see how it holds up. okay, it has a ok side slip, I can turn with the heavy fighters, kind of slow on the spool-up and the afterburners are lacking. has a good compliment of missiles, 8 rattlers nice. low top-end. oh don`t even try to lock onto a Glaive, hell you can hit them in the head with a club. You have to be so close to get a lock and if you do get the lock and manage to fire the missile, it will not track cause it`s to close.
So okay I get it, it`s a light fighter, it can turn, but it can`t run, it can`t kill anything even with 3 size 2 guns. So lets hope it gets the 3 size 3 gun slots, and maybe a slight boost in top-end speed or a boost in acceleration otherwise this fighter is at a loss and will be sent to be melted. Just my opinion. I was hoping the Gladius would be my have fun fighter toy, but at this point it is just a looks cool toy.
what say you?

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
Yea it's frustrating but keep in mind we don't have a game yet, we're only alpha testing and are being given the opportunity to test a derivative of the current game's development. Which we'd never get for games in development like Cyberpunk. 3.0 is gonna be a blast, let's ride out the holidays and hope 3.0 gets released to PTU before the end of the year.. *fingers crossed*

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The gladi missile/gun was formidable before all the lock-on computers broke. Now it's getting the 3x s3's the 300 series had and half the 300 series is down to 2x s2's.

Mmmm, I feel the Salt flowing through me.

3x s3 makes it basically a Hornet without the turret or flash-fire mount in terms of DPS.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
I always liked the Gladius, but the low damage made fights drag out forever, even when you had the upper hand. Missiles helped, but with the talk about external missile hardpoints having options like extra fuel opens up possibilities. The increase in firepower could change my mind, but I'm wondering if 3x S3s is too much of a buff and if it will just get nerfed back. 3.0 may have some changes to weapon behavior too that we don't know about yet.

Also heard we might get to buy ships with alpha-UEC earned in the PTU, just like guns and spacesuits. If that's the case, I might just make it a in-game goal to get the Gladius to test rather than pledging for it.

I have been out of the loop a few months, so things I've heard or read about may just be rumors. Gladius is purdy tho...
neil-mcknight-gladius-flight.jpg

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
what say you?
Every ship will have its place.

Not every fighter will be the best fighter, but each will have certain advantages.

Like the TESTies said above, there are lots of changes taking place, and they will continue even once the game is out. No need to get overly upset or excited about ship stats at this point!

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
Every ship will have its place.

Not every fighter will be the best fighter, but each will have certain advantages.

Like the TESTies said above, there are lots of changes taking place, and they will continue even once the game is out. No need to get overly upset or excited about ship stats at this point!
Thi is more or less a shit- post. I like the look and feel of the ship, but I don't need hand cramps and tears running down my face trying to kill a Aurora. I know things will change. But to be a frount line fighter of the UEE at one point, that's like putting a BB gun on a F-14 tomcat

Reactions: Beerjerker

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Thi is more or less a shit- post. I like the look and feel of the ship, but I don't need hand cramps and tears running down my face trying to kill a Aurora. I know things will change. But to be a frount line fighter of the UEE at one point, that's like putting a BB gun on a F-14 tomcat

I think CIG has imagined that the Gladius would be the swiss army knife of fighters, but then the Saber came along and they had to justify the price.

I suspect some exotic alien upgrade will be able to supercharge your Gladius and make it a monster.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I think CIG has imagined that the Gladius would be the swiss army knife of fighters, but then the Saber came along and they had to justify the price.

I suspect some exotic alien upgrade will be able to supercharge your Gladius and make it a monster.
My memory of the lore is that the Gladius is the aging, but capable UEE light fighter counterpart to the heavier Hornet. It is going to be a huge presence in Sq 42, I believe, so I get the feeling, as our glorious leader points out, it was developed early with several ideas in mind, and then as other fighters have appeared, was not updated as much. (and it wasn't just the Sabre that dropped, we also got the Buccaneer...)

As 3.0 gets ready to drop, and as Squadron 42 gets more time and attention, and everything gets balanced, I believe it will get more awesome, but, it will always be an older light fighter.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
So it's got the same size guns as a hornet (an actual military fighter) PLUS a boat load of missiles?

Personally I think CIG are going a bit la la with the ship weapons.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
As I usually say, it's the pilot that make a ship great not the other way around, the ship is not better than the pilot skill to use it's potential.

That said as it is now it is a bit under powered in the guns but if you use it's speed and agility you do just fine in it...
I been through both Vanduul and Pirate swarm in the Gladius Valiant all 18 waves a couple times and had 3 spawn life left to use.

My conclusion of Gladius is...
Flying the Gladius is a totally different technique than flying say a Sabre or Hornet or any other fighter...
But can be extremely deadly in the right hands.
Squadron 42 - Star Citizen 09.10.2017 - 01.23.30.01.png

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Are these changes part of "listening to the community" or from looking at data and investigating it themselves, a bit of both I guess?

I always thought the Gladius was for battle hardened ace pilots who could throw the thing around like it was a part of them and was supposed to be superior in agility and flight rather than weaponry.

I do know the speeds is increased on all or most ships in 3.0 so maybe this will balance it, I don't know I want more ships like the Hurricane, it rewards proper understanding of the ship to get everything out of it and I hope the Gladius is one of these ships. It should reward hundreds of hours of practice in that particular ship.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Are these changes part of "listening to the community" or from looking at data and investigating it themselves, a bit of both I guess?

I always thought the Gladius was for battle hardened ace pilots who could throw the thing around like it was a part of them and was supposed to be superior in agility and flight rather than weaponry.

I do know the speeds is increased on all or most ships in 3.0 so maybe this will balance it, I don't know I want more ships like the Hurricane, it rewards proper understanding of the ship to get everything out of it and I hope the Gladius is one of these ships. It should reward hundreds of hours of practice in that particular ship.
Yes from my point of view Gladius is definitely such a ship that reward your knowledge, skill and hours of training in it, it's a ship that give you that Ahaaa! moment more than once and from there on everything changes how you fly and fight in it.

:beers: :beer:

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
So okay I get it, it`s a light fighter, it can turn, but it can`t run, it can`t kill anything even with 3 size 2 guns.
My 2nd ship was a Delta without shields and I used it a lot in Vanduul Swarm. It went perfect until the first missiles came in play. After a while I got my hands on a Gladius and had the same feeling you have now, so it didn't took long before I moved on to heavier fighters. That was 2.1 to 2.4. Since a few weeks I am flying the Gladius again, this time with the speed correction of 2.5? 2.6? and guess what, it actually can kill in 2.6.3. I replaced the gatling with a S2 repeater, 3 CF117 Badgers. That helps a lot

tears running down my face trying to kill a Aurora
Auroras are hard to kill, slow and small. The trick is to slay close and lower speed, not overshoot. The Cutlass and Aurora are the only 2 ships where I slow down so first kill all other fighters, then go for the Auroras and keep the Cutlass for the end

As I usually say, it's the pilot that make a ship great not the other way around, the ship is not better than the pilot skill to use it's potential.

That said as it is now it is a bit under powered in the guns but if you use it's speed and agility you do just fine in it...
I been through both Vanduul and Pirate swarm in the Gladius Valiant all 18 waves a couple times and had 3 spawn life left to use.

My conclusion of Gladius is...
Flying the Gladius is a totally different technique than flying say a Sabre or Hornet or any other fighter...
But can be extremely deadly in the right hands.
:beers:

Forgot your password?