Ares Inferno first look!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Medium and light fighters will absolutely bully the Ares though....especially after they fix that acceleration bug.
Perhaps the interceptor class like the Razer, M50 and 350r will finally make sense? The one thing those ships can do is close range to get what weaponry they have in play, 'ain't no Hammerhead getting close enough to an Ares to defend itself.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Perhaps the interceptor class like the Razer, M50 and 350r will finally lake sense?
Well this game was always supposed to be a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. Every class is supposed to have a purpose.

I fully expect there to be plenty of options to counter the Ares.

Depending on how the Ares performs once it goes live PU, I won't be surprised at all to see a nerf that goes beyond just the acceleration fix. When whales start losing their 890Js and what not to the Ares, there's gonna be a lot of crying.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Clearly the Ares are a 1st strike sort of ship, like the Talon is supposed to be because of its stealth abilities. However, should the swarm of dog fighting get close enough to the Ares, its best chance for survival is that enemy ships will fly in front of its weapon avoiding other fighters before the Ares itself is eliminated.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Would suggest taking Camural with a grain of salt. If you don't have any on hand he'll supply it for you.

Both Ares currently are on par with the Cutty, Freelancer, Valkyrie and Hurricane for maneuverability. Forward accel has also been reduced to around 15g's, which is still fun. As a 'physically small' ship, this is disappointing. So anything that is a threat to those ships would also be a threat to the Ares.

The values on the guns themselves are going to be rebalanced again as new systems come online.

They have a role to play; right now that role is still very much in development.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
They have a role to play; right now that role is still very much in development.
I would say the role is pretty well defined.

Take the Idris mission as an example. Given the choice of ships if you have 4-5 friends with you, there needs to be at least two Ares on the field to apply the big DPS, supported by smaller fighters to get rid of the other small ships.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I would say the role is pretty well defined.

Take the Idris mission as an example. Given the choice of ships if you have 4-5 friends with you, there needs to be at least two Ares on the field to apply the big DPS, supported by smaller fighters to get rid of the other small ships.

True. Would be more accurate to say that not all of its intended targets are in the game yet, and the systems (armor, physicalized damage, proper distortion effects, engineering etc) are still in development. I rolled all that up into one horribly generalized statement.

Less coffee or more beer. *looks for a coin to flip..*

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Mix them. Try Guinnes Nitro cold brewed coffee beer. And to top it off, check the logo on Guinnes Baltimore Blonde.
Hats off to you sir.

btw I am going to wait till the dust settles on these ships (and some of the others) before making any changes to my fleet.
This would be the wise choice, but if I was wise I'd still only have the starter Aurora package, but no instead I buy ships because they look good in the concept art picture.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I know they are different roles but I cant decide between the Inferno and the eclipse...
Do you like lobbing large tubes at people while remaining unseen and then slipping back into the night? Or do you like the thrill of being a large fighter that goes Brrrrrrr but can't really effectively engage other fighters and thus are more of a bomber without being a bomber?

Honestly, while they say the Ares is intended for capital ships it's always struck me more as a great counter to large ships and not so much capital ships.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
This would be the wise choice, but if I was wise I'd still only have the starter Aurora package, but no instead I buy ships because they look good in the concept art picture.
Don't worry, I've got the same affliction. The upside is there's a F8C in my near future. The downside is there's an F8C in my near future. WTF.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Don't worry, I've got the same affliction. The upside is there's a F8C in my near future. The downside is there's an F8C in my near future. WTF.
On the day you achieve it you will receive a hearty Congratumiserations from me!

Forgot your password?