Ares Inferno first look!

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ah, the high acceleration was short-lived.

• Ares Polish Pass
Polish pass on performance, animations, and audio. Balance pass on Ares Ion cannon. Fixed the mass of the Ares ships. Fixed angular acceleration decay values for the Ares. Ares Ion itemport error fixes. Ares Inferno power triangle should now work correctly.

It's still a very nimble fighter and taking it into pirate swarm melts Wardens, Constellations, and Hammerheads.

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ah, the high acceleration was short-lived.

• Ares Polish Pass
Polish pass on performance, animations, and audio. Balance pass on Ares Ion cannon. Fixed the mass of the Ares ships. Fixed angular acceleration decay values for the Ares. Ares Ion itemport error fixes. Ares Inferno power triangle should now work correctly.
Yes but what I intend to replace with one goes... putterputterputter....It's an extra URSA.

Edit... that's actually the sound it makes while rolling over.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So pirate swarm is a joy with this ship because of the amount of rearming. In the verse it uses up so much ammo so quickly I am not sure how effective its going to be. But in the arcade with lots of ammo pickups, it just makes Wardens, Constellations, and Hammerheads sad.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
So pirate swarm is a joy with this ship because of the amount of rearming. In the verse it uses up so much ammo so quickly I am not sure how effective its going to be. But in the arcade with lots of ammo pickups, it just makes Wardens, Constellations, and Hammerheads sad.
In tonight's PTU patch (7871074) the accelerations and handling have been tuned.. less forward accel (a mere 15+G :) but considerably better handling.

I found the original tuning frustrating to fly; this is much better, and I was able to hammer both models through Pirate Swarm. The Ion took 10 minutes less, which I'll attribute to the differences in the guns.

Ion - even with the dps/rof change, it's accuracy allows for hitting smaller targets more consistently.
Inferno - kills faster, IF you connect. The spread and spin-up delay makes hitting fighters a chore at times. Anything larger than a fighter gets shredded in seconds.

Both took out the hammerhead with ease. Before dealing with those pesky Merlins!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Watching the firing of that Gat makes me suspect that some players will be hoping for full sensation VR as well as the ability to lessen the padding in the bottom of the seat, just to feel the vibrations. Similar to those that get a certain thrill from riding a motor cycle with a powerful engine.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
In tonight's PTU patch (7871074) the accelerations and handling have been tuned.. less forward accel (a mere 15+G :) but considerably better handling.

I found the original tuning frustrating to fly; this is much better, and I was able to hammer both models through Pirate Swarm. The Ion took 10 minutes less, which I'll attribute to the differences in the guns.

Ion - even with the dps/rof change, it's accuracy allows for hitting smaller targets more consistently.
Inferno - kills faster, IF you connect. The spread and spin-up delay makes hitting fighters a chore at times. Anything larger than a fighter gets shredded in seconds.

Both took out the hammerhead with ease. Before dealing with those pesky Merlins!
Ya hitting the little Merlins and Gladius was a pain. I ended up just spinning up the gun well before I could bring it onto target and then just sprayed bullets in the hopes that some would connect. While a huge waste it was easily replenished by the ammo pickups.

I think it will be something thats attached to a Liberator or idris (or something of the sort). It may not carry much ammo, but with fleet support I bet its capabilities are amplified.
I would think a Vulcan would also be very helpful with the ammo. I can also see how the Ion could be more beneficial in the here and now over the Inferno due to the ammo situation but once armor gets introduced and we have the capability to rearm in space I wonder if they both will be exceptional.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
I would think a Vulcan would also be very helpful with the ammo. I can also see how the Ion could be more beneficial in the here and now over the Inferno due to the ammo situation but once armor gets introduced and we have the capability to rearm in space I wonder if they both will be exceptional.
Agreed.. the game is slowly being moved in that direction, where support ships will be as useful/necessary as the damage dealers for group play.

A Vulcan, Terrapin, a couple Ares and Vanguards could become a highly effective hunting patrol.

As to the Ares being exceptional; gonna voice the unpopular opinion and say that I'm underwhelmed. For the size of the ship it's agility is crap (same length, slightly wider than a 300 series!). The guns also feel like they are in a strange place - The gatling is ballistic but the spread is so wide that precision shots (say to take out a shield emitter) are a laughable concept. The Ion's laser is precise enough but by the time you've pounded down the shield, the Inferno has dismantled the target and gone home. Ranges on both are no better than a size 5 right now.

Now bring a Redeemer into the discussion and the Ares might as well take a seat, at least in this iteration. CIG wants multiplayer ships to be the preference, and a Fully Crewed Redeemer just became the Apex Predator in the game.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?