As a former Mustang owner, I say that this is NOT a Mustang!

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
my '67 Mustang was my favorite car ever

handled my 90-mile (one way) commute in 60 minutes without breaking a sweat

Ford is smart to use the name for its new EV, but they're not fooling anybody

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Hmm a SUV... Electric.... how could they call it a Mustang... Man if this is the future I'm better start to invest in classic car... some old Ferrari 308GT, a couple of Mustag, a GranTorino may be...

I fear the next electric think will be a Corvette or a Viper... car world is rotting...

Randson

Space Marshal
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Randson
As a current '19 GT owner, I'm going against the pack. I'll say it *is* a Mustang. Mustangs have changed many times over the years.. when you look at the Mach-E's numbers.. it's picking fights with GT's right out of the line. Sure it's got 4 doors.. but it's also got a sport suspension.. I'd put this as Ford's Lamborghini Urus or Cayenne Turbo. When you think Lamborghini.. you'd never think SUV. But these are the times. A modern Ferrari had once upon a Time stepped their foot down and said "No SUV Ever".. but Fast forward to 2019.. Ferrari is now making a SUV. Change is good. Especially if you can take a car to the track, maintain performance numbers and add 2 seats. Mustang is a name with a culture behind it.. sure. But this SUV runs side by side by numbers with the 2020 Mustang GT, it maintains the styling of the brand and still makes itself.. different from the car we all know. Change is good! As long as they keep making the same coupe I have in my driveway? I'll be content.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
As a current '19 GT owner, I'm going against the pack. I'll say it *is* a Mustang. Mustangs have changed many times over the years.. when you look at the Mach-E's numbers.. it's picking fights with GT's right out of the line.
That is an interesting perspective, but for me, its the shape that defines the stang. The front end is fine, but that rear does not say mustang to me !

Randson

Space Marshal
Oct 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Randson
That is an interesting perspective, but for me, its the shape that defines the stang. The front end is fine, but that rear does not say mustang to me !
Absolutely. But! As with the dreaded (or beloved by some) Fox body, it will change with model and time. For a first run? Not bad, Ford, not bad.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Hmm a SUV... Electric.... how could they call it a Mustang... Man if this is the future I'm better start to invest in classic car... some old Ferrari 308GT, a couple of Mustag, a GranTorino may be...

I fear the next electric think will be a Corvette or a Viper... car world is rotting...

Do it anyways these cars are classics for a reason.

Reactions: Vavrik

Goero

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Goero101
I agree. I'm glad that Ford is looking to the future and working their way there, but I do not agree with some of their... decisions along the way. Getting rid of all the cars? The Fusion was already a Plug In Hybrid, why not make it the full EV car, keep the Mustang as it is for the muscle heads who love them, and start electrifying the rest of the fleet from there. The F-150 is already getting its own EV version, but they aren't completely changing the way it looks. Of course Ford has changed the way the Mustang has looked over the years, but this isn't so much a body style change, as it is a Class change. Sure it's still got the power to be a Muscle "car" but its not really a car anymore. This is definitely a Cross Over, or a straight up SUV depending on your definition.

I feel like they're using the Mustang name to draw attention to it, but in reality it holds up on its own just fine. Especially when you compare the Mach E to other cars like the Nissan Leaf, or the Chevy Bolt. The earlier Nissan Leaf is, in my opinion, one of the ugliest cars ever. The Mach E is compared directly to the Model Y from Tesla, and is pretty much on par with it in ever category. The biggest question is going to be how it actually performs for being Ford's first real FULL EV.

Now... There is an EV Mustang they showed off recently, that is 100% Mustang. But they've already said that it will not be a car that they produce, just wanted to prove they could do it. (a link for those who want to see it: https://techcrunch.com/2019/11/05/ford-built-an-electric-mustang-with-a-manual-transmission-and-were-mad/).

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Now... There is an EV Mustang they showed off recently, that is 100% Mustang.
I think thats the part Im not used too..

Like somebody said above, Porsche makes a SUV, but its still a Porsche.

Along the same lines Mach-E carries the Mustang name, its just not the model shape that we are all used to.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I applaud Ford for getting into the electric trend, but this is a SUV, not a Mustang!

It's not even a proper SUV that has presence. It's just fugly.

Saw some cool concept renders like half a year ago, those looked pretty interesting, but this nose and shapeless sides are just killing it.
It reminds me of how Clarkson described the Chinese fake rolls Royce. It's like someone explained to the designer over the phone how the original looked like instead of taking photos. But in this case, it was a tesla model 3, that was parked next to a mustang, got em mixed up, and then the designer made this.
Also, what is up with the trend of sticking huge ass tablets into cars as an afterthought instead of proper instrument cluster and shit? It looks soooo cheap!
Sad really.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
Instead of Vroom Vroom, the cool sound for cars will be high pitched electric revs.
the law will require electric cars to make some kind of noise, as a warning to pedestrians

I just read a piece that said Toyota is experimenting with sounds that promote the health and well-being of trees

the warble of a mildly cammed 302 V8 through glass-packs still elicits a strong visceral reaction in me half a century on

the future is becoming less and less recognizable for us old farts

Forgot your password?