Best way to increase your UEC by game release

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
I suspect buying ships today to sell in game after release might be the best way to maximize UEC. If that's true then which ship nets you the most UEC with respect to dollars spent?

I don't know how much the ships are/will be priced in UEC but maybe someone has an idea about that. I thought the Aurora in game was about 150K. Given it's cost in real dollars is 45 bucks, that makes it about 1:3000. UEC purchased is 1:1000.
The starter ships may not even be the best ratio either. Wonder how much a cutlass costs in game? Or a freelancer? Which ship I wonder will offer the best return?

Anyone got any ideas?

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
I don't know if its productive to compare the ship prices in game now to the price of ships for real money as I'm pretty sure the prices are likely to change (in game prices might fluctuate depending on what they end up doing when they figure out what the economy is going to look like and we see that the cost of ships for real money is going up in places). It seems a bit early to look at price speculation in that manner at this time I would think.

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
Supply and demand.

Ships like the Aurora and Mustang are going to have so many people with them already that it won't be possible to sell them for top dollar.
For larger rarer ships it'll take time for people to make enough to buy them in-game, then what advantage is there to buying it from you over an NPC merchant? Just because they're sold at a particular price in-game by NPCs doesn't mean someone will buy it from a player for that.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
I was assuming that in game npc ship dealers would buy your ship. But maybe this wont be a thing and if that's the case then buying ships now for sale in the released game is a waste of money.

Darn.

Well if it will be possible I probably have enough ships I can dump to net me a respectable amount of UEC.
My Krakken cant hold all the ships I have now so I may want to shed some ships anyway. I think I may have too many ships ... is that possible? lol

On another note, I was able to repurchase my Freelancer MIS by ccu from an extra 100i. Just one more ship to buyback and then I am done. Maybe.
I cant stop it seems .. just remembered I bought a cutlass for my second account as well as picking up an Arrow when it came out. OMG, I really am addicted ... help.

Esctasy

Admiral
Donor
Nov 28, 2018
RSI Handle
Esctasy
There is a spreadsheet circulating around somewhere (from a TEST member) that gives an estimate for each ship's UEC price. The sheet is based on a 3:33 to 1 in rec vs released ship prices plus the size of the ship which was mentioned by CIG as playing a role in cost.
The top of the list (if I remember correctly) is a 1:31 for the titan which prices about 1.5M. Other ships that are high on the list is hammerhead, 300, 315, 325 and freelancer.

What you could do is buy upgrades for all your small ships to these ships listed above. The upgrades are cheap and in some cases cost zero dollars. If Ships can be sold ingame (without supply/demand factor) then you are covered. If not then you didn't spend that much on upgrades and so you could just melt it.

Edit: Here is an example.
You have a Cyclone which costs like 30k UEC. Buy the upgrade for it to a Titan which costs you nothing or maybe $5. If the release game lets you sell ships freely then you can upgrade the Cyclone to a Titan. Sell the Titan and use that UEC to buy the Cyclone back ingame. If the game doesn't let you sell ships then you have $5 credit.

Last edited:

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
You may be on to something.. $20 for an Aurora is going to be worth more in game than $20 for $20K UEC
I doubt it.

A game package is required to play, which means all new players are likely to already have a starter ship.

Thus, IF it's possible to sell ships in game early on, starter ships likely won't be the ones people are interested in buying.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I was assuming that in game npc ship dealers would buy your ship. But maybe this wont be a thing and if that's the case then buying ships now for sale in the released game is a waste of money.

Darn.

Well if it will be possible I probably have enough ships I can dump to net me a respectable amount of UEC.
My Krakken cant hold all the ships I have now so I may want to shed some ships anyway. I think I may have too many ships ... is that possible? lol

On another note, I was able to repurchase my Freelancer MIS by ccu from an extra 100i. Just one more ship to buyback and then I am done. Maybe.
I cant stop it seems .. just remembered I bought a cutlass for my second account as well as picking up an Arrow when it came out. OMG, I really am addicted ... help.
You could always downsize your ship fleet and upgrade with the money you downsize with. maybe start game with an idris, kraken, and an aurora.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I was assuming that in game npc ship dealers would buy your ship.
In the long term, that is highly likely.

I'm the short term it is highly unlikely. It's more likely that players will want to buy from you. However that requires players to have sufficient UEC which will take time to acquire.

O-Lefty

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 12, 2016
RSI Handle
O-Lefty
CR and Disco already talked about a sliding scale on ship prices compared to dollar value. The bigger the ship the more UEC per dollar spent. I.e. a Javelin will have a 10x multiplier while an Aurora only has a 4x multiplier. So you spend more and you have more UEC if you concentrate into large ships. You can already see it in the game right now with ship rentals. The Hammerhead is worth much more in UEC compared to the Aurora per dollar spent.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I suspect buying ships today to sell in game after release might be the best way to maximize UEC. If that's true then which ship nets you the most UEC with respect to dollars spent?

I don't know how much the ships are/will be priced in UEC but maybe someone has an idea about that. I thought the Aurora in game was about 150K. Given it's cost in real dollars is 45 bucks, that makes it about 1:3000. UEC purchased is 1:1000.
The starter ships may not even be the best ratio either. Wonder how much a cutlass costs in game? Or a freelancer? Which ship I wonder will offer the best return?

Anyone got any ideas?
I have to admit I never thought of this before.

The #1 potential fatal flaw could be that if you sell a ship in-game, you only get a fraction of the value (typically in RPG's, you only get about 1/4 back of the cost when new). I suspect CIG isn't going to give you top dollar, I mean, top UEC for your "slightly used" ship (my god, have you seen how dirty the windows are? lol).

However, right now, even if you got 1/4 the value of a Prospector, that would still be 400,000 UEC (Prospector may be a bad example, because it was definitely above the regression line for price, not all ships will get you that large an amount)...which would be $400 of UEC, at the $1 == 1,000 UEC.

Intriguing...I'm not sure I would sell a ship just to get UEC, but potentially you could do something like that if you didn't want the hassle of selling it IRL, *and* you knew that you were likely to buy a bunch of in-game equipment. For instance, if every time you die in FPS combat, you lose your rifle you were holding, that is going to be a $4 loss...not sure you can insure rifles. You are supposed to be able to insure ship components, so once I buy a size 5 gun for my Warden (about UEC 60,000, or $60 in USD), I wouldn't have to buy that again (I hope!).

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I have to admit I never thought of this before.

The #1 potential fatal flaw could be that if you sell a ship in-game, you only get a fraction of the value (typically in RPG's, you only get about 1/4 back of the cost when new). I suspect CIG isn't going to give you top dollar, I mean, top UEC for your "slightly used" ship (my god, have you seen how dirty the windows are? lol).

However, right now, even if you got 1/4 the value of a Prospector, that would still be 400,000 UEC (Prospector may be a bad example, because it was definitely above the regression line for price, not all ships will get you that large an amount)...which would be $400 of UEC, at the $1 == 1,000 UEC.

Intriguing...I'm not sure I would sell a ship just to get UEC, but potentially you could do something like that if you didn't want the hassle of selling it IRL, *and* you knew that you were likely to buy a bunch of in-game equipment. For instance, if every time you die in FPS combat, you lose your rifle you were holding, that is going to be a $4 loss...not sure you can insure rifles. You are supposed to be able to insure ship components, so once I buy a size 5 gun for my Warden (about UEC 60,000, or $60 in USD), I wouldn't have to buy that again (I hope!).
The thing i think alot of everyone is forgeting is the market could be dynamic like the real world if the ship dealer doesnt need anymore of ship X then maybe he wont buy it and you will have to go elseware to sell it or be forced to scrap it for next to nothing. Not to mention they could also choose to reduce the price of the ship due to supply and demand. I don't think it would be a good idea to do this for short term money.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The thing i think alot of everyone is forgeting is the market could be dynamic like the real world if the ship dealer doesnt need anymore of ship X then maybe he wont buy it and you will have to go elseware to sell it or be forced to scrap it for next to nothing. Not to mention they could also choose to reduce the price of the ship due to supply and demand. I don't think it would be a good idea to do this for short term money.
I like this idea, potentially in TEST owned space the Aurora may be worth twice what is normally paid for them because they'll be in such high demand from so many crashes 🙂

But that does mean at game launch with a million player offloading their surplus pledge ships it will be a buyers market, at least for the short term, but considering no one'll have any UEC to spend on ships until playing for a while... the in game economy may be crushed before the Vanduul get anywhere near it!

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
The backer cash value you put in backing the project and getting a "ship/pack/starter pack" does not respond to actual ship value in game, might be something to take in to account.

And only actual real Cash-UEC value I know of at this point is

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/extras?product_id=41

But think we get more actual value on that once it gets tested in game until then any guess is just that and non better than the other.

CHEERS!

Slo

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2015
RSI Handle
SLØ
Well, I guess the worst that could happen if I buy more ships is I end up with more ships! lol
That F8 Lightning is pretty damned close as it is so grabbing more ships at least gets me an F8. And I really do want that one.
And I just thought of something else too ... wonder what the grey market value of some bigger ships would be after the game is released? I mean if a HH is way way expensive in game UEC then it might just be even more valuable in real money then than it is now. hmmm
Ah well.. time will tell I guess. Bottom line is more ships = more options so getting more seems like the thing to do. Yippee, more ships!

Invidia_x4

Vice Admiral
Mar 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Invidiax4
I wouldn't spend money on ships based on an assuption.

Yes, you could still melt everything up till beta and use the credit, but unless we're close to launch with firm understandment that CIG says it WILL be a thing.
Then I would consider it if it makes sense.

Althought like some said, I don't see a 20 dollar ship be more than 20,000UEC ingame, as that's what it costs from the Extra's in the Pledge Store.

Reactions: Mich Angel and Xist

Invidia_x4

Vice Admiral
Mar 17, 2018
RSI Handle
Invidiax4
Well, I guess the worst that could happen if I buy more ships is I end up with more ships! lol
That F8 Lightning is pretty damned close as it is so grabbing more ships at least gets me an F8. And I really do want that one.
And I just thought of something else too ... wonder what the grey market value of some bigger ships would be after the game is released? I mean if a HH is way way expensive in game UEC then it might just be even more valuable in real money then than it is now. hmmm
Ah well.. time will tell I guess. Bottom line is more ships = more options so getting more seems like the thing to do. Yippee, more ships!
Incase you are not aware, you can unlock a token to buy the F8 ingame by playing Squadron 42.

Forgot your password?