Bombing Meta in the Eclipse Q/A

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
  • The Retaliator is the dedicated long range bomber, able to carry the most ordnance, the most men and the most weaponry to defend itself via its turrets. It can sustain itself and its crew much deeper in the verse and is ideal for striking targets a long way away. This is a good opportunity to mention that we are well aware of many in the community’s issues with the Retaliator (capacity, turret behavior, layouts, etc) and whilst we can’t commit to changes presently in the short term, it is on our radar and we’ll be reviewing at some point in the future.
As a Tali owner, I am over the moon at this statement. I liked the ship as is, but another pass can only make a awesome ship better.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/15921-Q-A-Aegis-Eclipse

Also of note:
  1. Harbinger gets many more mentions than I thought it would. It seems to get dismissed a bit, so this should make owners happy.
  2. WHY IN GODS NAME DISCUSS BOMBING RUNS WITH SHIELDS DOWN?
  3. Polaris owners can't have an eclipse, but can have more torpedoes than god. Fair trade? I don't think so.

Stevetank

Lead Aurora Theorycrafter
Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
They are discussing bombing runs with the shields down because it lets you know the actual damage of those torpedoes. Shield strengths and shielding is extremely variable but knowing how much damage you'll need to do to kill something once the shields drop is important. Since hull strength is much less variable, it lets you know the true strength.

So we know that 6 S9 torps will disable an Idris after the shields drop. -- Very important.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
I long for a Retaliator that is worth taking. I don't own one, but I should WANT to own one just like all of the ships. The ratios for that ship are all off. The firepower to crew member is off. Torpedo capacity is off. The number of crew to run it it outrageous.

At least we know that since you only need 6 S9 torps to drop an Idris (no shields), then 6 torps in the Retaliator should be fine.... so long as you can live to fire them all.

AccidentProne8

Space Marshal
Apr 12, 2015
RSI Handle
accidentproneeight
So we know that 6 S9 torps will disable an Idris after the shields drop. -- Very important.
Sure, but I would kill for "All else being equal and subject to change, an Idris, with shields equally distributed, could take 12 S9 torpedoes to an individual area, before being exposed.

In other words, how many Talis until I hit the center of my tootsie pop?

I mean, I'm not a hater. I'll wait. But I would love to know!

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Sure, but I would kill for "All else being equal and subject to change, an Idris, with shields equally distributed, could take 12 S9 torpedoes to an individual area, before being exposed.

Well.... I happen to have an Idris if you happen to have 12 S9 torpedoes....

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

Thats why its considered a "Capital" ship.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Is it just me, or was that Q&A brutal?
Don't get me wrong, if you love the Eclipse and got yourself one, that's great and I'm glad for you. But all those answers seemed like advertisements for any ship other than the Eclipse.

Reactions: Dragonslaya54

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Is it just me, or was that Q&A brutal?
Don't get me wrong, if you love the Eclipse and got yourself one, that's great and I'm glad for you. But all those answers seemed like advertisements for any ship other than the Eclipse.
well its a VERY specialized ship, so if you even REMOTELY dont wanna bomb something, dont buy the eclipse. lol thats what i got from the Q&A.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
They are discussing bombing runs with the shields down because it lets you know the actual damage of those torpedoes. Shield strengths and shielding is extremely variable but knowing how much damage you'll need to do to kill something once the shields drop is important. Since hull strength is much less variable, it lets you know the true strength.

Just for the sake of clarity, here is the quote ver batim:

"How many Eclipse will it take to take down say a 890 Jump, Polaris or Idris?

As always, we must preface this by reminding everyone that all things are subject to change during game development, but our current thinking about how this should currently play out is:

A pair of Eclipses, going unnoticed attacking an Idris with its shields down and its defense turrets disabled can cripple the ship if they hit in the right areas. Attacking such a large target like this though would be fairly foolish with such a small attack force though once you factor in the overall shields and defensive capabilities of everyone involved. Sub Capital ships however are much more vulnerable to an Eclipse or two, whereas assaulting a capital ship would most likely require a first strike with an Eclipse or two followed by a heavier sustained assault with Retaliators, Gladiators or Harbingers."

Emphasis mine. I'm seeing a few people interpreting this as "2 Eclipses can take down an Idris". Which is true, if the Idrises shields are down and you manage to hit all of your torps on critical spots. Just like how I can technically one shot a Super Hornet if I land a S4 Combine shot right on the cockpit and kill the pilot. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

On a side note the hard shutdowns on the "can I do [something not bombing related]?" questions were fucking hilarious.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
The Tali is one of the best ships in the 'Verse.
Well...it could be. Right now it's more of a hot mess than a sleek sexy bomber. Frankly idiotic torpedo layouts, turret coverage is crap, etc etc. Hopefully the rework/touchup they were promising will make it not so idiotic on the inside.

A 1 person stealth ship that carries half the torp layout of a 7 man heavy bomber makes the Tali a tough sell for fleets, if you disregard cost IMO.

Stevetank

Donor
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Stevetank
Just for the sake of clarity, here is the quote ver batim:

"How many Eclipse will it take to take down say a 890 Jump, Polaris or Idris?

As always, we must preface this by reminding everyone that all things are subject to change during game development, but our current thinking about how this should currently play out is:

A pair of Eclipses, going unnoticed attacking an Idris with its shields down and its defense turrets disabled can cripple the ship if they hit in the right areas. Attacking such a large target like this though would be fairly foolish with such a small attack force though once you factor in the overall shields and defensive capabilities of everyone involved. Sub Capital ships however are much more vulnerable to an Eclipse or two, whereas assaulting a capital ship would most likely require a first strike with an Eclipse or two followed by a heavier sustained assault with Retaliators, Gladiators or Harbingers."

Emphasis mine. I'm seeing a few people interpreting this as "2 Eclipses can take down an Idris". Which is true, if the Idrises shields are down and you manage to hit all of your torps on critical spots. Just like how I can technically one shot a Super Hornet if I land a S4 Combine shot right on the cockpit and kill the pilot. Is it possible? Yes. Is it likely? No.

On a side note the hard shutdowns on the "can I do [something not bombing related]?" questions were fucking hilarious.
Yup. Need to figure out what those 'right spots' are too. And bombers will need to practice... etc. Gonna need 6 S9 torpedoes to all hit the same spot which might be tricky because you have no control over the path of a torpedo once its launched.

We'll have to practice for our raids. :)

Reactions: Dragonslaya54

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
If someone here can manage to fit a S9 missle on an aurora then I'm sold! We need video proof or even a picture of this!
Somebody posted a picture of an Aurora where they swapped the 4 size 2 missile rack for a single size size 4 missile rack.

Found it!

Got 'ma cargo in the trunk and 'ma torpedo on the roof lol.

View attachment 5403

50 auroras with 50 size 4 missiles may be a thing. I think we should try it.
Plus more in a Reddit Post. Here's the pics from it.

Forgot your password?