BritizenCon 2017, UK, Manchester, April 22nd

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
@BUTUZ You ok mate? Please don't tell me all the granite broke an axle as you were driving to the convention.

I am heading off in half an hour or so, and I am sorry that you missed a good day. There's no doubt going to be an even better evening ahead though, so hope you make that.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Nooo I was gonna give out the glasses at the end!! I'm here! Damn sorry I missed you dude ill post it instead.

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Well, half way home after a fun day. Nothing startling in the two dev panels, but they were certainly interesting, as was the panel with Alix Martin (the voice of Anvil ships) and the HCS Voice guy Paul Watson.

Hung out with Thumbs31 much of the day (great to meet up with you), but it was good to also get to know a bunch of people outside of the org.

Wish I could have stayed for the after-party but childcare calls ;)

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Yeh it was great to meet up with more testies trust the flight home was ok and trust you didn't drink too much at the airport bar Thums (unlikely)

@Floating Cloud I am so sorry I missed you dude really gutted don't know how I managed it as I saw you in your bright yellow tshirt and still didn't say helo! Silly silly Shy Butuz.

I made some presents for the two CIG offices and gave Brian Chambers a set of Granite Dinner mats to take back to Frankfurt and Cameron Wilkie from the UK office (he is a really cool dude by the way I could chat to him all day!), both sets included a giant TEST one at the bottom so here's hoping we possibly see some test branding on a future ATV! ;)

Both of them were really pleased, it caught me by surprise, I was expecting to arrange to post Brian's to him as they are quite heavy but he was so pleased with them he took 'em straight to his room and put 'em in his suitcase to fly home! :)

testcig.jpg

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Is there any report about the BritizenCon or the like...?

Floating Cloud

Space Marshal
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Floating_Cloud
Not that I've seen Sam. There are two videos posted by the organisers of the CIG dev panels, and those may be found here:

Panel 1:

Panel 2:

The turnout last year was fairly sparse, but we saw at least double the numbers this time and it was a decent crowd (guesstimating 100 - 150?). If we assume a similar increase for next year then they'll need to book a larger room for the event in 2018 (especially considering that 2018 should be a BIG year for Star Citizen).

I ran into Thumbs31 at registration, which was nice (both in bright yellow Test T-Shirts, which made identification a breeze), and we hung out with some other good guys that we got chatting to prior to the event. We had some time with Cameron, the CIG organiser then but just chatted about things in general. One point I did quiz him on was cheating in the game. I didn't expect him to have any specific information that he could give us, but he was aware of the problem and that it was receiving attention. CIG have banned players with complete loss of assets, and that's pretty much where we finished that chat.

As well as the two dev panels there was a Q&A with Alix Martin, a voice actress who is the voice of Anvil Aerospace ships. She also has done a voice pack (unsurprisingly titled 'Alix') for HCS Voice Packs. She shared how she came to do the original work for CIG, how she got into voice acting (in no small part because as an American actress who moved to Germany the voice work was far more readily available than acting roles), and a few other snippets. Hopefully that panel will be put up on Youtube too, and will be via the same channel as the two linked above.

There was also a panel on the development of E-sports, with someone who had been involved in setting up the events from the beginning of the phenomenon, and again we may well see that published on Youtube. In fact if you do some searching you may well find the latter two panels already up there from non-official sources.

Due to technical difficulties the event was running 30 to 60 minutes behind schedule and I had to leave then to get back home for childcare, but there was also a dogfighting competition that had been running in the background throughout the day, with the finale shown on the big screen at the front apparently. The prize for that was a rather amazing wooden Hornet created by our very own RiceMaiden:

I may well have missed a few things, but I think that covers the highlights.

Reactions: AstroSam

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I can confirm the fun factor!

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Where are you naff naff?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Where are you naff naff?
Deepest, darkest Lincolnshire about 30 mins from The Wash.

Using Google Maps and wild assumptions I worked out It would be quicker to go to London and then fly to Manchester from there than to go direct from here to Manchester via any means available.

I did think about the train this year but I would have to have left the event and started on my way home about 3pm to ensure I could actually get all the connections and make it back in one day, and was also "cost prohibitive".

Driving would only be about 3 hours but having a 20 year old car... although It's never let me down but I don't want that first time to be when I'm on the other side of the country.

That's the thing about Lincolnshire, it is delightfully central meaning you can get places in a single day, but as soon as you get there you generally have to turn right round around and come straight back home again to get back within the same day.

Forgot your password?