Build a custom keypads?

JaqHass

Captain
Donor
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
JaqHass
@Space Monkey Havn't decided on making the actual hotas yet. First i'l make the actual pad work and go from there. Rly hoping for a thick, heavy, professional looking hotas tho. :)

Bones Simmons

Space Marshal
Sep 21, 2015
RSI Handle
SturmHelix
If it is off an lav (assuming it's anything like a Bradley that is) then I highly doubt it. You don't need a gimbal in one as you just control a 25mm cannon and a coax gun that is fixed to the turret. If you look in the picture you can see coax wrote on the stick. This is all purely off of my experience having been mechanized infantry for 6 years and experience with Bradleys though, lav may be different but I suspect not.

Reactions: ThomSirveaux

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
If it is off an lav (assuming it's anything like a Bradley that is) then I highly doubt it. You don't need a gimbal in one as you just control a 25mm cannon and a coax gun that is fixed to the turret. If you look in the picture you can see coax wrote on the stick. This is all purely off of my experience having been mechanized infantry for 6 years and experience with Bradleys though, lav may be different but I suspect not.
What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across theUSA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

Now, back on topic: this would probably be a better momentary switch for you, as there's only ON-(OFF), so you'd just wire a ground with a pull down to the center lug and the HIGH input going to the top rail, so it's pulled LOW when you toggle. (ACTIVE LOW mode)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bones Simmons

JaqHass

Captain
Donor
Apr 17, 2015
RSI Handle
JaqHass
Stay on topic plz. Or i'l install fast fuses in the back of your heads. If your neural activities goes too high you die. But on the other hand i guess that would be a fail. Both of you would probably live forever. ;)

Bones Simmons

Space Marshal
Sep 21, 2015
RSI Handle
SturmHelix
So turret sticks control windage and elevation how, if the stick has no axis?
Not sure I follow what you are asking here. The stick on a Bradley for the gunner also looks nothing like the one shown, but has no hat switch which is what I thought you meant by gimbal. As far as windage and elevation goes, once the isu (integrated sight unit) is zeroed for the gun that's it. There are marks on the site for all sorts of things including different ranges. Wind isn't really going to throw a 25mm off target much unless you are in a tornado or hurricane lol. And as far as the coax machine gun goes it doesn't really have to be dead on. You are taught to fire it in a z. Starting at the top of the targets moving to the right then slightly down and drag back across. It gets the job done, granted it's not precision sniper fire. Only other thing there is is the TOW which is a wire guided rocket. Granted not sure if that's how they still work. Got a buddy who is a mechanic for Bradleys that had to go to a course for apparently the new ones that said the computer for the targeting system basically does everything now, up to and including compensating for range and target lead. Basically meaning you put the sight on it it's going to hit. Sound very cool, but for all I know he could have been feeding me a line of shit lol.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
How do you slew the turret and raise and lower the gun? You don't only use the terms windage and elevation for zeroing the weapon. A gimbal is the swivel/pivot system that allows the stick to move (tilt) in the X and Y axis. If you say there is no gimbal then I assume the stick is fixed and does not move, becoming a stationary grip rather than a joystick. However, after talking to Chairman_Meow directly, I am now aware that the stick moves in the X and Y axis, and is therefore gimballed in one way or another. Thanks anyway though.

Chairman Meow

Grand Admiral
Jan 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Chabby
How do you slew the turret and raise and lower the gun? You don't only use the terms windage and elevation for zeroing the weapon. A gimbal is the swivel/pivot system that allows the stick to move (tilt) in the X and Y axis. If you say there is no gimbal then I assume the stick is fixed and does not move, becoming a stationary grip rather than a joystick. However, after talking to Chairman_Meow directly, I am now aware that the stick moves in the X and Y axis, and is therefore gimballed in one way or another. Thanks anyway though.
Found a video showing it in use briefly @ the 2:20 mark :)

Slansickness

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
Slantsickness
I've been wanting to write up some tutorials for custom controls and simpits, from very basic stuff like connections (soldering, conductive epoxy, etc.) to full control builds. I haven't really found the time, my goal was to write examples for a few major Arduinos and popular variants. I realize most of these things are available in one form or another online, but I thought having one repository for flight controls and keypads, excluding irrelevant features, and putting a TEST flair on it all might be fun, and make it easy to learn what you need for whatever project you had in mind. Probably would be a boon to the TEST brand in the SC community as well. Thoughts and input is welcome.

Reactions: ThomSirveaux

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I've been wanting to write up some tutorials for custom controls and simpits, from very basic stuff like connections (soldering, conductive epoxy, etc.) to full control builds. I haven't really found the time, my goal was to write examples for a few major Arduinos and popular variants. I realize most of these things are available in one form or another online, but I thought having one repository for flight controls and keypads, excluding irrelevant features, and putting a TEST flair on it all might be fun, and make it easy to learn what you need for whatever project you had in mind. Probably would be a boon to the TEST brand in the SC community as well. Thoughts and input is welcome.
I think we (TEST Engineering, that is) can all get together one of these weekends and get something like this started.

Reactions: honcho12

Bones Simmons

Space Marshal
Sep 21, 2015
RSI Handle
SturmHelix
Ah sorry was miscommunication then. I thought you meant something like a hat switch.

that_frog_kurtis

Space Marshal
Dec 3, 2013
RSI Handle
I think we (TEST Engineering, that is) can all get together one of these weekends and get something like this started.
I'm down. you guys are probably far more qualified than me re soldering and arduinos, but I can fiber glass and mechanical internals etc

Forgot your password?