building your own gaming machine

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Posted to start the discussion, not end it. I am clueless but thought others would want to comment here.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/pc-build-guide/?utm_source=f1&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=dt-intelcomputingjunedesktopcbo&k_clickid=199551bd-26fc-4555-ab72-18b920b7ba2c

I'm particularly surprised the optical drive is so cheap. I would not normally want one as I don't bother with them, but $20 is cheap. If it will play Bluray discs seems it would be worth it.

The memory listed here is listed at less than half the price for it on the web, so suspect all the prices.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I get tech news from a couple dozen sources each day on FB. You'd be surprised what you can have sent to your desktop. Same with Linked In. IMHO, this is vastly superior than relying upon a standard news service all of which are sold out to propagandizing rather than objective reporting. If you want a balanced view you have to craft it yourself. I do not know of a single news source that even presents itself as objective. Gone are those days, lets hope not for good; but is the necessary consequence of post-modernism in western society. We breed only drones.

Therefore do NOT think for yourself or you shall be punished!

Reactions: Talonsbane

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Who the hell actually clicks on facebook links?
Zark Muckerburg gotta get his pay somehow and he sure isn't getting it from me (directly) :)

I like him and respect what he has built - Its a shame it's being subverted now, can't a dude just enjoy his globe-spanning empire without d-bags fuckin' it all up ?

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
Disclaimer: I haven't cared to read any other replies in this thread because I know more than all of you idiots.

Build your own computer.

Don't go with Intel: a Ryzen 2 7 series is on par with current gen Intel I7/I8/I9s, for far less money.

In fact, you can go with a 1st Gen Ryzen 7 and still have a killer system.

DDR4 is your friend. The more, the better, but if you can't afford it, get 8GB and you'll be fine for most things.

Video cards are cheap, again. You can pick up lightly used RX 570s or something in that family, or a GTX 1060/1070.

Mobos are user preference

Get a good case with lots of airflow. Airflow is your friend

I'm very preferential to Cooler Master (but only because they give me free shit from time to time)

Forgot your password?