cheapest gaming card. . .

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
If one wants to run that super-wide screen we looked at a few weeks ago, can one actually run more than one 1080 card at a time and somehow splice them, so you have really fast fps? And likewise, if the cheap $20 on ebay cards are questionable especially since they run only 2GB, can you put three of them into a machine and have them keep up?
It's called SLI for Nvidia cards. And most games don't support it. I'd wait for the next gen if you need more power than a 1080. The projected specs for an 1180 are insane!

Likewise, you can't really keep threading cards together and expect it to perform better than a higher end card. In theory 3 cards with 2gb should work the same as a 6gb, but there's a lot of processing time when they communicate.

Far better to get a single high performance than multiple cheaper cards. Which I believe is the opposite of ram which suggests you fill every slot.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Nah. I may win the shittier contest here. The machine I'm currently using has a 560 in it. I can actually fly, but I don't use any of the high resolution settings, and it still gets a bit herky-jerky on me. I'm limping along, but barely...
We must form the Shit Graphics Card Club or 'SGCC' where we can blame all of our incompetence on lag caused by slow cards.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Tell your friend to save his money until November. Black friday sales will probably yield some pretty good deals so unless your friend absolutely needs a GPU right this instant, I would wait. Plus this gives him time to save more. Possibly even for a 1080 which would future proof him a bit.
Great point!

I was not clear with my earlier point, but I wanted to emphasize that (usually) the used cards on eBay are overpriced...hard to find a legit bargain...and that is even more true now, with the latest AMD and Nvidia entry level cards, where $200 gets you something that comes very close to the previous top of the line.

After one of the awesome demos that have us screaming for 3.0, the dev's responded (in answer to a question) that the demo computer was running a single Nvidia 1080 card. My 1060 gets me 60 frames per sec in my hanger, and I'm usually in the upper 20's in the PU, where it has more to do with the net code and my connection.

In any event, waiting will never hurt...

Reactions: StdDev
Forgot your password?