CitizenCon 2016 Reactions

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
Planets 2.0 was the best part.
Confirmed only one complete mission (possibly, one at the most) for S42 in 2016 which sucks.
No release date on 2.6,3.0 any of that stuff but happy to see all the further away things and in what stages we'll be getting access though I'm way beyond thinking those are accurate at this point.
Was surprised and not happy with the happy birthday cut quick to end, thought there would be more.

I was not happy with this one, almost a waste of time overall since 75% was just in the future speculation and nothing concrete :(

Not trying to be a downer I'm just expressing that I really was hoping for a lot more than what we got. The planetary portion with game play was exactly what I wanted and I can't wait to see more! I just feel like they could have basically shown what was in that live stream over two ATV episodes.

MikeAlphaTangoTango

Space Marshal
Oct 2, 2014
RSI Handle
MikeAlphaTangoTango
Well, the Spectrum system that turbulent are working on looks very cool, sorta similar to what we've got goin on here, but with in-game implementation built in.

Nice to hear about progress with SQ42. I was hoping there would be that example mission they mentioned, or at least some sort of time frame.

Seems like 2.6, 3.0, and onwards are all more or less 'feature locked', so hopefully we should be seeing 2.6 soon(ish). I'm very exited to see the Cat in 3.0, and I'm sure a certain high-ranking member of TEST will be very hyped for 3.1...

And then suddenly; PLANET! AQUILA! SANDPEOPLE! JAVELIN! WORM! CRAB! IDRIS! WOW!

Arrangingstars

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
Arrangingstars
Didn't Chris Roberts say something to the effect of "Squadron 42, we'll get to that later" before the planetside demo? Then they went straight into the behind the scenes of deving the planets, then the birthday thing, and then closing statements.. no Squadron 42. D: Maybe a file got corrupted that they ported over for a demo? Idk..

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
Honestly, I am still trying to wrap my mind around the scale of it all. What they just showed, was the possibility for a player to make the following statement:

"I haven't been off this planet for a week."

The tools they have demo'd showcase their ability to generate content at an unprecedented speed. So not only will they be able to have entire planets full of life, they will be able to generate future planets with a quickness never before seen in the gaming industry. So in theory, we will never run out of content.

It is just mind boggling really. This is going to be amazing.

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
if alpha 3.0 is early 2017, 4.0 will be early 2018

when do we get to beta, and how long will that last?
Only my opinion, but I expect 2.6 to go PTU in October, PU in early November, with 3.0 releasing just before/after the New Year. But agree 4.0 would be hard by end of '17 but at some point they should see a lot of these simultaneous development efforts reach some sort of balance.

'Gimp

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
I was not happy with this one, almost a waste of time overall since 75% was just in the future speculation and nothing concrete :(
This. I was expecting more. With the Polaris I was expecting more discussion; but also all the new packs that are out... war pack aggressor pack.... Super hornet is available again.

No conversation about controller development or other physical goods.... new shirts or hats. How about a SC tie. And we all want the RSI underwear.

Was hoping for a sq42 trailer (update) not so much game play. Or a sneak peak video of some cinematically, behind the scenes development, or even a gag reel.

And no hint or expectations given for 2.6 not to mention just a hint or a look at the "new" star marine.

Planet demo was friggin amazing and the Polaris video was sexy. I had a strong "do you want to know more" vibe and wish pledges were called war bonds.

Hopefully with the holiday sale or in the coming w the is we will get some hints or answers to what fy16 will actually bring and what fy17+ should be focused on.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I was very happy with it on the whole. Wish it would've lasted longer as we got in late, but I'd always wish for more.

Spectrum was sexy as hell! The possibilities with it are amazing! Voice chatting from desktop to in game or mobile to in game can be done with Discord, but I believe they're going to use it for ship-to-ship communication. Maybe it will dynamically add random people to chat as you encounter them in game?

Bigcracker

Space Marshal
Feb 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Bigcracker8789
I was actually hoping for a bit more to be honest. We seen a lot of cool stuff but this citizencon imo did not live up to the hype of cons past. We are about 2 years out of a actual SC release it looks like now, and most likely SQ42 release next fall at the earliest.

+ Planets 2.0
+ Spectrum
+ The Development tools
+ The demo (Giant worm and Xenos)
- Nothing on SQ42
- No video on Star Marine
- Nothing really that new, it felt like a 2 hour around the verse imo.

Now I am not saying OMG REFUND!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I just bought more stuff) I love Star Citizen and never going to stop playing, it's just a let down that Citizencon is pretty much the only time we get SQ42 info and we got literally nothing at all. Just time to play the waiting game again, I do not really see 3.0 coming until the new year around January and February.

Havrek

Space Marshal
Sep 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Havrek
The technology behind the planets is just ridiculously awesome, but it's not the reason that I want to play Star Citizen. Large multi crewed ships battling it out in the verse. When I see that I'll be like WOW this is the game I want to play......and I believe they will get there. They just aren't there today.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
With the fools gold that was NO MAY sky I am hesitant to hop on the hype train only to be let off at da fuk is this station.While i have my reservations about the project I believe it will be a success.Once SQ 42 is released I believe things will pick up. I thought The demo was OK but nothing special.

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
With the fools gold that was NO MAY sky I am hesitant to hop on the hype train only to be let off at da fuk is this station.
I am absolutely with you on this one. Wvery "cinematic" portion of the demo had me concerned. Particularly when it spazzed out and rewound on the worm scene. I got flashbacks of the worm scene from no man's sky...

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
I am absolutely with you on this one. Wvery "cinematic" portion of the demo had me concerned. Particularly when it spazzed out and rewound on the worm scene. I got flashbacks of the worm scene from no man's sky...
FWIW, looked to me like they went from live in-game play to a scripted pullout while the game-play continued (thought I still heard sound effects going) - when it 'reset' the character had moved and the Sandworm was in a different pose.

Since I was never even remotely interested in NMS I can't speak to the hype CONCERN there, but I was hoping for a surprise ship readiness announcement and more on SQ42 or a StarMarine demo.

All in all though, given my style-of-play interest which is less pew pew pew and more exploration this demo hit everything I am actually interested in except for multi-player cap-ship play which I think we all recognize is further off than we would like.

'Gimp

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
The demo was amazing... but when the first third person camera of the "sand people" was shown before the ambush was triggered my worries started. Wondering if I was watching sq42 or PU. Same engine but them throwing in Mark Hamills character at the end with a scripted line.... and then jumping to the idris... I thought it might of been the sq42 demo repackaged.

Reactions: AstroSam
Forgot your password?