CitizenCon 2016 Reactions

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
As posted here before, I now can understand all the [CONCERN]s and am for myself pretty underwhelmed by this tec demo. PLUS the fact that CIG uses this sandworm, although being fully aware of the relating marketing-disaster with NMS. I don't get it. My only hope currently is, that behind the curtains things went terribly wrong and this whole (boring) show was kind of an improvised emergency Plan C or the like...

I'm now looking to CitCon in Frankfurt/Germany, hoping for the amazing demo (2.6, Star Marine, SQ42 hopefully) CR announced during GamesCom.

Bockbiertje

Rear Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Bockbiertje
Ok my feelings about the presentation...

• Spectrum: I didn't expect this but got me pretty excited because of the ingame VOIP with spatial sound! Will it be useful for large Org's like us with the possibility to get hacked? I don't know, time will tell and we always will be having Discord :)
  • The V2 planetary stuff was really really beautiful, I was amazed especially by the weather effects.
    Don't know if you guys noticed but at one point the Dragonfly was sliding sideways because of the wind! (Timeframe 1:47:00) that was the point I jumped out of my chair! :)

• The DEV building tool. In my opinion the best part of the presentation. We now have a really good insight on how they can create and fine tune the objects and planets. Gave me a great feeling of confidence to see how quick they can do this!
  • No SQ42 demo... Something went horrible wrong at the very last moment. Or at least that was my impression.(He mentioned it but not clear if it's in this presentation Timeframe 2:09:49). why would he mention it at that point??? Really weird.
  • No Space Marine and no mention about 2.6. Biggest letdown for me. I had hoped for an announcement of 2.6 at least.

Looking back I think we were spoiled by the GamesCom presentation.
That presentation gave me a real yaw dropping moment with the planetary landing and such. V2 is beautiful but the overall hype impact was way less then with the one of GamesCom.

Overall the presentation was a bit sloppy in my eyes. The interviews before the start, it gave me the feeling they were stalling. The birthday cake event at the end was pretty rushed.
Am I still hyped and happy about SC? YES for sure! :)
Luckily for me I'm a very patient person. It's done when it's done and when it finally gets released we don't have the need for any other game anymore!

Now gief 2.6!

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
Ok my feelings about the presentation...
  • No Space Marine and no mention about 2.6. Biggest letdown for me. I had hoped for an announcement of 2.6 at least.
I guess he somehow implied that, they can't keep up the same update/time ratio. "They realized that releasing content will produce a lot of postrelease work." (can't remember exact words, nor do i know where to look them up)

I guess thats the current problem, issue council seems to be a good tool to track issues, but the downside is that they are getting flooded with issues (which seem to be usally very bad documentated).

So my assumption atm is: 2.6 this year, maybe next month.
3.0 maybe Q1 2017 (which actually will be a big step forward)

Bockbiertje

Rear Admiral
Donor
Jul 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Bockbiertje
I guess he somehow implied that, they can't keep up the same update/time ratio. "They realized that releasing content will produce a lot of postrelease work." (can't remember exact words, nor do i know where to look them up)

I guess thats the current problem, issue council seems to be a good tool to track issues, but the downside is that they are getting flooded with issues (which seem to be usally very bad documentated).

So my assumption atm is: 2.6 this year, maybe next month.
3.0 maybe Q1 2017 (which actually will be a big step forward)
Yes, he also mentioned that he gets shot otherwise. He needs to learn to keep his mouth shut ha ha :p
Hopefully 2.6 next month and I expect 3.0 Feb/March next year.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I'm not sure that I entirely understand the issue folks are having with the "Scripted nature" of the sandstorm and sand worm. They just wanted to show us some cool stuff they have been working on, plus the missions were never intended to be 100% "procedural". The whole philosophy they have been approaching this with is to build systems that will take the locations and missions 90% of the way, then use the fine artist brush strokes to finish it off and pepper in some unique spice. The hand-craftedness of SC is precisely what makes it superior to NMS. And its not like those events can't be triggered by a mission condition. So if they WANTED to script it for us on our own random missions, it should be easy to do so. IDK I enjoy the open discussion and cant wait to see how they actually end up pulling off missions.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I got enough ships you can do whatever you want to do at any time. I'm hoping we can give permissions to other players, cause I'll just give you perma access brother. I trust ya ;)
Thanks brother. That's a two way street, FYI. Whats mine is also yours.
I'm not sure that I entirely understand the issue folks are having with the "Scripted nature" of the sandstorm and sand worm. They just wanted to show us some cool stuff they have been working on, plus the missions were never intended to be 100% "procedural". The whole philosophy they have been approaching this with is to build systems that will take the locations and missions 90% of the way, then use the fine artist brush strokes to finish it off and pepper in some unique spice. The hand-craftedness of SC is precisely what makes it superior to NMS. And its not like those events can't be triggered by a mission condition. So if they WANTED to script it for us on our own random missions, it should be easy to do so. IDK I enjoy the open discussion and cant wait to see how they actually end up pulling off missions.
Concur.
Remind me to NOT let @Montoya borrow my Cutlass again.....
It's not that you lent it too him thats the issue: the problem arises when he tries to fly sober.

Reactions: Han Burgundy

AstroGimp01

Space Marshal
Jan 31, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroGimp01
Shai Hulud for the motherfucking win!! I almost shit myself when he popped the Desert Nomad on the Spacecycle....so beautiful

star-citizen.jpg

Bless the Maker and His Water. Bless the coming and going of Him, May His passing cleanse the world. May He keep the world for his people.

'Gimp

Reactions: Blind Owl
Forgot your password?