CitizenCon Cancelled

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
@Blind Owl do I need to spell it out for you? This is bullshit but fortunately we have some therapeutics in the hopper, so I think they are being PUSS*ES. Run and hide... that is what the world does best.
Well man, when the military is being deployed to help communities where people are dying due to outbreaks, I choose to believe the science.

If you think that people trying to protect themselves and each other is being "pussies", please, be my guest, go to social gatherings. Just don't go to a hospital if you get sick, as the people who work there don't deserve to be put at risk because you think this pandemic is a hoax or bullshit. My wife is one of those nurses, and she doesn't deserve to be put at risk because you chose to believe that people are "pussies".
We've lost enough health care workers to this thing, we certainly don't need to keep losing more because some people are being stupid.

Last edited:

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
if you get sick, as the people who work there don't deserve to be put at risk because you think this pandemic is a hoax or bullshit. My wife is one of those nurses
Knowing what I know now... I am not sweating it. Its not the ficken small pox. People, time to come out of your hole and start living. ... and sue China for everything we can. Stop making them a superpower because they are not worth the title.

Last edited:
  • Glorious
Reactions: Talonsbane

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
Knowing what I know now... I am not sweating it. Its not the ficken small pox. People, time to come out of your hole and start living. ... and sue China for everything we can. Stop making them a superpower because they are not worth the title.
Look, my brother and his wife are physicians, my niece is at university to be a nurse, and our best friends are first responders. My aunt just retired from nursing 2 years ago to take care of my uncle, and both are at high risk factors due to age (upper 70s/low 80s) and other factors. I would really like it if people would stop treating this as a freaking inconvenience because you can't go to the bar to get drunk with your buddies or go down to the local bottle shop for a case of beer.

I admit, more people seem to have this than we thought, and that does lower the percentage of people going into the hospital, but this is still an illness that transmits super easy between people, and the more people get this, the more that will have to go into the hospital and potentially make others...health care workers primarily, but also firefighters, paramedics, police, etc. sick....maybe even seriously ill.

Please, don't endanger these people who already risk their lives to help others. Stay at home when/if you can. If you have to work in public, do so safely. It's not just you that you are risking, but all those that you come in contact with. What might be a mild or completely asymptomatic case for you could be a deadly illness for those you pass it on to in ignorance. It's not just your life that you are risking.

I am all for opening the economy back up if we can do so safely. I would REALLY like to go back to a world where I am working from home and everyone else at work forgets about me and I am not suffering death by conference call because suddenly, people are scheduling 11 hours of conference calls during an 8 hour day. I LIKED not being bothered and being able to be super productive during an 8 hour day. I do NOT like having to be on 2 or 3 simultaneous conference calls every freaking day. I really liked being able to get all my work done in 8 hours instead of the 12 it seems to take now.

I liked being able to go out to the movies, to a place of worship, to a restaurant, or a shopping mall. I liked being able to get on an airplane and go have conferences/meetings/and teach classes for those in my industry, and I was really looking forward to taking my 4th dan test, but it's not worth it right now. I will order out for local restaurants, and I will support the local business I can through contactless or minimal contact operations. Right now, let's just see how the re-opening of some states go. Once we have either an effective treatment protocol, or a vaccine, I am all for resuming normal activity, but not if it puts others at risk. I don't want someone else's mom, dad, brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter to get sick or die because I wanted to have fun...

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Look, my brother and his wife are physicians, my niece is at university to be a nurse, and our best friends are first responders. My aunt just retired from nursing 2 years ago to take care of my uncle, and both are at high risk factors due to age (upper 70s/low 80s) and other factors. I would really like it if people would stop treating this as a freaking inconvenience because you can't go to the bar to get drunk with your buddies or go down to the local bottle shop for a case of beer.

I admit, more people seem to have this than we thought, and that does lower the percentage of people going into the hospital, but this is still an illness that transmits super easy between people, and the more people get this, the more that will have to go into the hospital and potentially make others...health care workers primarily, but also firefighters, paramedics, police, etc. sick....maybe even seriously ill.

Please, don't endanger these people who already risk their lives to help others. Stay at home when/if you can. If you have to work in public, do so safely. It's not just you that you are risking, but all those that you come in contact with. What might be a mild or completely asymptomatic case for you could be a deadly illness for those you pass it on to in ignorance. It's not just your life that you are risking.

I am all for opening the economy back up if we can do so safely. I would REALLY like to go back to a world where I am working from home and everyone else at work forgets about me and I am not suffering death by conference call because suddenly, people are scheduling 11 hours of conference calls during an 8 hour day. I LIKED not being bothered and being able to be super productive during an 8 hour day. I do NOT like having to be on 2 or 3 simultaneous conference calls every freaking day. I really liked being able to get all my work done in 8 hours instead of the 12 it seems to take now.

I liked being able to go out to the movies, to a place of worship, to a restaurant, or a shopping mall. I liked being able to get on an airplane and go have conferences/meetings/and teach classes for those in my industry, and I was really looking forward to taking my 4th dan test, but it's not worth it right now. I will order out for local restaurants, and I will support the local business I can through contactless or minimal contact operations. Right now, let's just see how the re-opening of some states go. Once we have either an effective treatment protocol, or a vaccine, I am all for resuming normal activity, but not if it puts others at risk. I don't want someone else's mom, dad, brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter to get sick or die because I wanted to have fun...
This. SO much this. I don't want to get into a big fuck-off debate with someone, especially another TESTie, over this, but I cannot fathom how people are being so goddamned cavalier about this. Having a healthy respect for the speed it transmits and taking measures to protect people from it is not being "pussies". It's being smart. It's not fear, it's common sense. People need to stop listening to idiot politicians/political movements and start listening to the doctors and scientists.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
As someone with flights and a hotel booked I’m a little disappointed, but cancelling the only option at this point.

It’s not worth risking the health of everyone I come in contact with from the moment I land in-country, because if I catch it I’m another vector for the spread, and to then be forcibly quarantined for 2 weeks immediately on my return to Australia.

So we’ll do this next year. But maybe not in the US.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
As someone with flights and a hotel booked I’m a little disappointed, but cancelling the only option at this point.

It’s not worth risking the health of everyone I come in contact with from the moment I land in-country, because if I catch it I’m another vector for the spread, and to then be forcibly quarantined for 2 weeks immediately on my return to Australia.

So we’ll do this next year. But maybe not in the US.
Man, that sucks you had flights and hotel already booked. I understand being disappointed. I certainly am. But you are right. It's the only prudent choice. We shall get to have some CitizenCon beers at some point.

Soon

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
People need to stop listening to idiot politicians/political movements and start listening to the doctors and scientists.
Hide in your hole for the next year... it has nothing to do with science... it has everything to do with how you handle the problem and if that includes science fine. I still think CIG is being a bunch of PUSSIES

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Hide in your hole for the next year... it has nothing to do with science... it has everything to do with how you handle the problem and if that includes science fine. I still think CIG is being a bunch of PUSSIES
You being very vitriolic my friend. I'm interested in how you "handle the problem" if not with science, being as the problem is a pandemic, and medicine is a science.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Unfortunately as I've said before, there is a not insignificant portion of the American populace who have come to believe over the years that the safety of others is secondary to their personal freedom to do whatever they want.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Unfortunately as I've said before, there is a not insignificant portion of the American populace who have come to believe over the years that the safety of others is secondary to their personal freedom to do whatever they want.
"Safety" and "Freedom" are seldom defined, so often misunderstood, and in truth rarely obtained by fiat. As a retired veteran, expat and professional motorcycle instructor, it is my opinion that "safety", especially the brand referred to as "Public Safety", is an illusion.

Depending on your worldview, following the "whatever you want" path is to it's logical conclusion is ultimately disastrous for all involved. But the idea of a small group dictating terms to the larger group has little historical support of working any better, when followed on it's logical path. There is an incredibly strong argument that the more controls placed by the smaller group on the larger, the closer it is to failure as a society.

Society is built from individuals. These individuals need their rights recognized to be able to function as humans. BUT, those same humans must also exercise the responsibilities that come with being in a society. Some percentage, large or small depending on the times, choose not to be responsible toward others. This is an element that is missing in the public discourse today. It wasn't always.

Massively oversimplifying it: do you want to build a society on weak bricks, or strong bricks? There are wide spectrum of examples in the world today, plenty of data to work with and compare to your own values/biases/understanding.

I don't usually bother debating this stuff anymore. It's been many years since anyone has presented any form of unique thought or argument that was more than wishful thinking. But if you want to understand a bit of where my opinion comes from, a good starting point would be the histories of Cambodia and the south African region over the past 200 years or so.

Forgot your password?