marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I have a mouse and struggle to work it properly. I'll pass on the immensely complex and costly setups for now.
Buy a cheap flightstick and try to fly first, my first flight was Wing Commander with a digital joystick on an Amiga 500, probably 25 years ago so I have a little headstart.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Yea you will probably find that a lot of us who have weird or different or intense setups have done a lot* of flying games, like myself, I have hundereds of hours in X3 and X-Wing Alliance, as well as loads of flying in various battlefield games, so for me I kinda of know how I want things to run before I even start.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Maybe you could help me in that department, how does this look?

http://www.etwist.co.uk/products/details/42010.html?adid=11002&aditem=42010&gref=41110380199&gdev=m&gloc=9045229

I'm in the UK. (Edit: turns out I suck at trying to quote as well)

Well if you buy a crappy cheap joystick setup, your first experience probably will be crap and.. yeaah think you get the point ;)

Most value stick for money and highest precision specially for it's price range there is only one stick on the market at this point
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

A lot of stick with same interior sensors as the high end Cugar Hotas stick.. ;)

:beers:

Last edited:
Reactions: Blind Owl

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Maybe you could help me in that department, how does this look?

http://www.etwist.co.uk/products/details/42010.html?adid=11002&aditem=42010&gref=41110380199&gdev=m&gloc=9045229

I'm in the UK. (Edit: turns out I suck at trying to quote as well)
Well if you buy a crappy cheap joystick setup, your first experience probably will be crap and.. yeaah think you get the point ;)

Most value stick for money and highest precision specially for it's price range there is only one stick on the market at this point
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

A lot of stick with same interior sensors as the high end Cugar Hotas stick.. ;)

:beers:
I had the Microsoft sidewinder force feedback, sidewinder 2 force feedback, the Logitech force 3D Pro and the Madcatz F.L.Y. 5. All 3 worked, it is a matter of adapting. The crappiest was the fly because the thumb button broke off, I fly with force. All 4 sticks worked good to fly, it is just a matter of learning and adapting. The best stick I ever had is the Warthog, but that isn't a cheap stick. The TM T16000 uses the same Hall Effect sensors as the Warthog.

Knucklesdeep

Grand Admiral
May 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Knucklesdeep
I may be a little late but hear are my two sense on this. When the shit hits the fan your brain will go in to auto-pilot mode, searching and exacting thing in your brain bank. If you brain bank is empty you will freeze up and have a slow reaction. But if your brain bank is full of, I dont know, Combat pilot fighting stuff then your auto-pilot part of your brain will know what to do.

So in short, practice the same way you want to fight and you will be just fine.

Cheers

Knuckles

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I may be a little late but hear are my two sense on this. When the shit hits the fan your brain will go in to auto-pilot mode, searching and exacting thing in your brain bank. If you brain bank is empty you will freeze up and have a slow reaction. But if your brain bank is full of, I dont know, Combat pilot fighting stuff then your auto-pilot part of your brain will know what to do.

So in short, practice the same way you want to fight and you will be just fine.

Cheers

Knuckles
Well said :D
Trick is to always remember when something feel or seem hard or even impossible to do.
Did you learn how to, what ever you know how to do today over a day or did it involve a lot of failure and mistake then finally one day that AHA! moment arrived and from there on it all been so much easier.
Practice give experience, experience give knowledge, knowledge give you piece of mind in tight situations.

:beer: :beer: :beers:

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
The best way to be a good combat fighter is to know how to evade incoming fire and keep yourself in a good position to fire. The best means to accomplish this is to use strafe to evade incoming fire, roll to line up your ship perfectly to give the smallest possible cross section and to get your guns on target at maximum effect.
Zoom and boom is a fine tactic to deal some damage and get out of the line of fire, but it won't give you enough firing time on your target to deal crippling damage when using laser cannons, laser repeaters or gattling guns. If you use ballistic cannons and have a perfect aim, this tactic works fine.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Thanks guys I might pick up a reasonably decent one like the thrust master suggested by Mich Angel.

I'll do some more research but trust the decision on the thrust master, a quick glance at reviews looks positive and I know not to completely trust reviews as they are not exact, they are made by humans after all.

Thanks!!

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Well I bought the T16000m FCS as suggested but the stupid TARGET software doesn't open, error log says it's a d3d.. something error. It's direct x9 anyway.. so I can't programme the keybindings at all and the throttle isn't working in SC. Linda bummed but hope I can find a workaround. If anyone has hints or can help let me know. I would like to get it working fully.

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
Okay nevermind I just picked the Warthog profile in SC and everything is working rather splendidly.I will practice and practice and after a few months I am sure i can become below average.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
It depends on what you need and how much buttons you have. Lets see what I would map.
Flight stick
- y pitch
- x rudder
- z roll
- trigger weapon group 1
- pov up target ahead
- pov down pin target
- pov left next target
- pow right closest enemy
- top left missiles
- top right cycle countermeasures
- top back counter measures
buttons on the base for a start nothing, first learn to fly and fight

Throttle:
- throttle
- pov under index finger strafe up / down / left / right
- pov under thumb (upper) strafe forward / back
- middle finger weapon group 2
- ring finger boost
- pinky afterburner

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
It depends on what you need and how much buttons you have. Lets see what I would map.
Flight stick
- y pitch
- x rudder
- z roll
- trigger weapon group 1
- pov up target ahead
- pov down pin target
- pov left next target
- pow right closest enemy
- top left missiles
- top right cycle countermeasures
- top back counter measures
buttons on the base for a start nothing, first learn to fly and fight

Throttle:
- throttle
- pov under index finger strafe up / down / left / right
- pov under thumb (upper) strafe forward / back
- middle finger weapon group 2
- ring finger boost
- pinky afterburner
I like you :)

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I like you :slight_smile:
Thanks, I try to bind the most essential bindings to the available buttons. The 2nd weapon group was a problem, I like to have it under my left index finger, but since you have a throttle left, strafe is the best option for the left index finger.
When you are comfortable with flying and evading (a lot of strafe and boost in the right direction), don't forget about targeting, picking the right target also helps winning a battle. Never go headon for the closest, always take the last of a group and strafe around the group evading incoming fire. It puts you on his six and on the six of the rest.

Forgot your password?