Bounty Hunting Combat Fighter

SneakyPete

Captain
Donor
Feb 18, 2017
RSI Handle
Wolfpack9
TrackIR is what brought me into SC. Even when SC no longer "Supported it" I was using it. FreePie and a few other things and I was fine business.

I put Voice attack on a Switch the same Mic Switch I use on my ham radio gear. Ironically the same switch I used on my Mic Setup for the MBITR and HF rig that I slumped with in AFG. Everything else is bound to stick and throttle I make minimal use of keyboard controls. Like Room Clearing your head/eyes/sight picture/hands/weapon/targeting must be on the same swivel at all times.

My routine used to be 6 Hours of Racing a day for craft familiarization And then another 6 for Combat in VS. In the PU I would do my own thing including buzzing PO. When 3.0 Drops I will be back in full force.

RIght now it is break time for me. The last two Evocati Runs really did a number on me. 14-16 hours a day I decided I needed a break after that.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Did anyone notice the nice weapon group trigger behaviour? I mount 2 Badgers and 2 Longswords on the Delta. All 4 weapons are bound to weapon group 1, rockets are bound to weapon group 2. I can add weapons to a weapon group, but I can't remove weapons from a weapon group.

In 2.5 I would set the Badgers in weapon group 1, the Longswords in weapon group 2 and the rockets in weapon group 3. This way I can save Longsword ammo when not necessary and keep the Badgers from a long distance on target. In 2.6 this isn't possible anymore, but yesterday I noticed that you can use certain weapons selectively, just by fire weapons, quick release and fire again. With the Delta the Longswords won't shoot and the Badgers will stay shooting. By doing the same trick again, the Longswords and Badgers will shoot together.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Holy shit Marc, that's insane. Haha
Dedicated controls, flight stick, strafe stick, rudder and trackir for combat.
Flight stick, strafe stick / throttle, rudder and trackir for PU flight.
G13, mouse, MFDs and trackir for FPS.
Keyboard only for chat.

Im waiting for shield, power, navigation and weapon control implementation to yse a few tablets.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Dedicated controls, flight stick, strafe stick, rudder and trackir for combat.
Flight stick, strafe stick / throttle, rudder and trackir for PU flight.
G13, mouse, MFDs and trackir for FPS.
Keyboard only for chat.

Im waiting for shield, power, navigation and weapon control implementation to yse a few tablets.
Damn dude. That's insane. I'd need to practice just to remember what controls to use. Haha.

Reactions: marcsand2

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Damn dude. That's insane. I'd need to practice just to remember what controls to use. Haha.
that is very easy, if it doesn't work, switch.
Fly, target, countermeasures, missiles and shoot on the flightstick
Strafe left right up down, boost/afterburner, shield and shoot on the strafestick
All speed, jump, light modes, landing gear, eject and self destruct on throttle
Strafe forward back and roll on the pedals
FPS on G13 and mouse
Gestures on the MFDs

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
that is very easy, if it doesn't work, switch.
Fly, target, countermeasures, missiles and shoot on the flightstick
Strafe left right up down, boost/afterburner, shield and shoot on the strafestick
All speed, jump, light modes, landing gear, eject and self destruct on throttle
Strafe forward back and roll on the pedals
FPS on G13 and mouse
Gestures on the MFDs
This actually makes the most sense. I do have a throttle and two sticks, so why not try this out. Now to get my basement fixed up enough to setup my computer in, haha.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
This actually makes the most sense. I do have a throttle and two sticks, so why not try this out. Now to get my basement fixed up enough to setup my computer in, haha.
The biggest problem was placement of the throttle. Strafestick and flightstick are positioned as close as possible besides my legs. Where to place the throttle and keep good control. I found a good position left-behind-lower the strafe stick.
View: http://imgur.com/jrAt127

Some people put the throttle control on the strafestick as forward / backward strafe, sacrificing up / down strafe, but that would mean that either you have full control over your speed, but no rest in your left arm and limited left / right control, or you must control speed with your voice, keyboard or something else.
In combat up / down strafe is as important as left / right strafe, so I decided that the strafestick is dedicated to combat manoeuvres. The forward / backward strafe is bound to my rudder pedal brake. If I'm not in combat and have to do precise manoeuvres, than I use flightstick and strafestick and control my speed with the rudder pedal brakes

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
The biggest problem was placement of the throttle. Strafestick and flightstick are positioned as close as possible besides my legs. Where to place the throttle and keep good control. I found a good position left-behind-lower the strafe stick.

Some people put the throttle control on the strafestick as forward / backward strafe, sacrificing up / down strafe, but that would mean that either you have full control over your speed, but no rest in your left arm and limited left / right control, or you must control speed with your voice, keyboard or something else.
In combat up / down strafe is as important as left / right strafe, so I decided that the strafestick is dedicated to combat manoeuvres. The forward / backward strafe is bound to my rudder pedal brake. If I'm not in combat and have to do precise manoeuvres, than I use flightstick and strafestick and control my speed with the rudder pedal brakes
Before It lost driver support my second (left hand) stick I used it as all 3 (cause it has a rudder) so side to side was strafe left/right, forward/back was forward/back and twist was up/down, worked awesome for combat and precision work like takeoffs and landings etc.

So most of the time I fly hotas, then switch to 2 sticks if I was taking off/landing or if i was in combat with a strafey ship like a hornet

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
Before It lost driver support my second (left hand) stick I used it as all 3 (cause it has a rudder) so side to side was strafe left/right, forward/back was forward/back and twist was up/down, worked awesome for combat and precision work like takeoffs and landings etc.
I don't have twist on flight or strafe stick, that is why I bought the rudder pedal. It replaces my left and right twist :grin:

Doggen

Space Marshal
Dec 9, 2015
RSI Handle
Doggen
Ah that makes sense. I got my hands on an X65F with a fancy throttle so I might try to mimic your setup :) I dont think I could do without strafing forward and backward on the stick though! I might try putting strafe up and down on the G25 pedals I have laying around.

Haha I spend more time ingame trying out setups than actually flying :D

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl

I also like up/down on my strafe stick. I'll bind forward and back to either my throttle or to the twist on my left throttle.

So most of the time I fly hotas, then switch to 2 sticks if I was taking off/landing or if i was in combat with a strafey ship like a hornet
Yes. Forward/back to twist. That's how I roll as well.

I will certainly try all three controllers though. That would be handy. I will be referencing this thread when it comes time to do my bindings.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
I also like up/down on my strafe stick. I'll bind forward and back to either my throttle or to the twist on my left throttle.
In space there is no up down left right, it is dependant on your roll if it is up or left or right, so by placing up/down/left/right on the strafe stick, you put your strafe direction on your move/attack direction. I always attack full throttle, so my attack direction always is forward. If I engage a target, than I can roll my ship to get a better cross section hitting chance and I can adjust my strafe to follow my roll.
Putting forward and back on the stick will be better for manoeuvring your ship, landing, flying through tight spaces, if you look at it from the top of your ship or if you use speed in your attack, fighting decoupled, so actually it is a personal thing, what works best for you.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
In space there is no up down left right, it is dependant on your roll if it is up or left or right, so by placing up/down/left/right on the strafe stick, you put your strafe direction on your move/attack direction. I always attack full throttle, so my attack direction always is forward. If I engage a target, than I can roll my ship to get a better cross section hitting chance and I can adjust my strafe to follow my roll.
Putting forward and back on the stick will be better for manoeuvring your ship, landing, flying through tight spaces, if you look at it from the top of your ship or if you use speed in your attack, fighting decoupled, so actually it is a personal thing, what works best for you.
But if I have all 6 axis on my strafe stick, then I can bind left/right, up/down, and forward/backward. Makes for some fine combat maneuvering. I think I like the forward backward strafe on my twist, as I constantly use up/down and left/right when in combat.

marcsand2

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
marcsand2
But if I have all 6 axis on my strafe stick, then I can bind left/right, up/down, and forward/backward. Makes for some fine combat maneuvering. I think I like the forward backward strafe on my twist, as I constantly use up/down and left/right when in combat.
Yeap, you have the luxury of having twist on your strafe stick. I had to buy rudder pedals to replace the twist on flight and strafe stick.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeap, you have the luxury of having twist on your strafe stick. I had to buy rudder pedals to replace the twist on flight and strafe stick.
I think I'd prefer to have rudder pedals, as the twist motion can mess with fine movements. However, I don't think Mrs Owl would appreciate another purchase at this point. Haha

Takeiteasy

Admiral
May 21, 2017
RSI Handle
Takeiteasy
I have a mouse and struggle to work it properly. I'll pass on the immensely complex and costly setups for now.

Forgot your password?