[CONCERN] What ship(s) do I need?

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
For not spidermanning @ratfeast s thread "What is your current fleet" I like to answer the question by @Zahina in this thread.
Corresponding post:
You nailed it XD !!!

The Aurora is my Gamepackage, the Warden is just for fun, the Carrack...hmm...I don't really need the carrack, but I just had to have it.

BUT the Reclaimer is my dream space ship:heart_eyes_cat: !

I am already thinking to specialize my fleet because, to be honest, my only focuse will be salvaging and selling my goods to traders. Maby some mining too...but I am not sure yet.

Is there anything else I would need to specialize my salvaging besides my Reclaimer ? Any additional cargo or exploration ship ?

Thx for the input^^
That being said: I *know* that one TESTie CAN'T have enough ships! But still, there are members who can't afford selling their house, car, goods and probably wife for buying an entire fleet - right? :grin:

To write an answer on Zahinas post: if the Reclaimer is the "ship of your dreams": afaik the Reclaimer has enough space to carry the salvage on her own; like the Orion does. Hence there is no need (theoretically) of an additional transporting vessel.

With the Carrack you already own an exploration vessel; but multicrew only. Suggestion: as the Warden is an expensive ship, probably melt her and buy a Freelancer DUR. With the lancer, you can explore singleplayer-based as well as trade a little bit during freetimes. For dogfighting-fun, try the Sabre and/or SuperHornet instead. Before doing that, think about renting some dogfighters and try them within AC.

/0.02$ Any other suggestions are most welcome, as well as other questions about the topic "is there any other ship I need?"... (always, right? Haha! :smile::thumbsup:)

Zahina

Commander
Donor
Dec 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Zahina84
For not spidermanning @ratfeast s thread "What is your current fleet" I like to answer the question by @Zahina in this thread.
Corresponding post:

That being said: I *know* that one TESTie CAN'T have enough ships! But still, there are members who can't afford selling their house, car, goods and probably wife for buying an entire fleet - right? :grin:

To write an answer on Zahinas post: if the Reclaimer is the "ship of your dreams": afaik the Reclaimer has enough space to carry the salvage on her own; like the Orion does. Hence there is no need (theoretically) of an additional transporting vessel.

With the Carrack you already own an exploration vessel; but multicrew only. Suggestion: as the Warden is an expensive ship, probably melt her and buy a Freelancer DUR. With the lancer, you can explore singleplayer-based as well as trade a little bit during freetimes. For dogfighting-fun, try the Sabre and/or SuperHornet instead. Before doing that, think about renting some dogfighters and try them within AC.

/0.02$ Any other suggestions are most welcome, as well as other questions about the topic "is there any other ship I need?"... (always, right? Haha! :smile::thumbsup:)

Thank you for your quick response @AstroSam & @Printimus !

I already thought about opening up a own thread for this case...

You guys are totally right...but also I already knew that the vanguard would be the first one I will probably melt. She is a beauty and beast at the same time ;)

Freelancer Dur is a great idea ! But what about these ships ?

- Anvil Terrapin (High End Exploration but only max crew 2)
- 1 or 2 Dragonflies if the Reclaimer could really land on planets for ground exploration ???
- 1 or 2 MPUV Cargo Ships ?

Or forget about the small ships...what about a second Reclaimer XD ?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus

You guys are totally right...but also I already knew that the vanguard would be the first one I will probably melt. She is a beauty and beast at the same time ;)

- 1 or 2 Dragonflies if the Reclaimer could really land on planets for ground exploration ???

Terrapin is a decent little turtle of a ship. Smaller than you might think.

Dragonflies are a must if you wanna do stuff planetside. They should fit in most small cargo ships such as a freelancer, MAYBE a Reliant.

MPUV cargo ships are mainly meant as support for Capital sized ships. They dont fit inside any current ships as of 2.6. Not sure how big they will make the doors for the Reclaimer.

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam

ad 1) Anvil Terrapin is NOT an exploration ship in the common sense of "exploring the verse". Its more an military-based explorer for making deep-space-scan i.e. for collecting information about fleet movements of the enemies. More information: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//15478-Anvil-Terrapin-Q-A-Part-2
ad 2) Dragonflies are cool as space bikes as well as kind of sand speeder. BUT as I assume that the Reclaimer will not be able to fly down on planets surfaces you still need a ship - like the Freelancer - which is a) capable of carrying a fly (but then having no or minor cargo space left) and b) able to land on planets surfaces.
ad 3) MPUV Cargo Ships are 100% cargo transfer vessels and are meant to support major cargo ships like Hull D or Hull E - which are like the Reclaimer not able to land on planets surfaces - for transporting cargo containers from planets into space and back.
That being said: owning a Reclaimer it *could* be a good choice to own one or two MPUV Cargo Supporters/Ships. I'm owning one for myself. But I think, lateron in the game there will be NPC-driven MPUVs because you'll need dozens if not hundreds of them to load/unload ships like Reclaimer, Hull D & Co. - because there also will be dozens or more such ships which have to be loaded/unloaded per planet/harbor/side, whatever............ ;)

Sorry for being not a native english speaker - hopefully that I nevertheless could point out these in an understandable way...?

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Hey be aware the original design of the hull series was that the big boxes would be self sufficiently rocket powered - so would deliver themselves to your ship and then unload themselves at the next space port. The hull big box won't fit inside a MPUV Cargo if you look at the size of them and it would take actually an entire day to load a Hull E manually. They will have to put some kind of automatic loading mechanism in there.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe

The thing I like about the DUR is that you can throw a Dragonfly in the back and do some actual exploring and planetside activities.
If you feel like just running a bit of freight about, then unload the 'Fly and stuff in some cargo. OR, and this is a just a thought of course, you could load up the 'Fly, head off to do some exploring, but have a handy little cache of contraband on the ship. You know, kind of kill two birds with one stone, approach. Also, Dragonfly's work in space as well, use them to zip about anything you find and pick up any salvage you might find.

As was stated the MPUV's are more for going from station to planet, station to ship, or planet to ship and their cargo space is rather limited. They don't even come with a QD drive, that is something you will have to add in later.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Mmmm...

Hmmmmmmm...

Hhhhhuuuuuuuurrrrrrmmmmm...

So, Salvage is your dream, eh? Then you gotta ask yourself where am i findin' this salvage? What happened to the ship to turn it in to salvage?

See I reckon yous gonna need a fast scout to make sure whoever or what ever broke that ship 'aint still in the area before you bring your Reclaimer in, or you won't be picking up scrap, you'll be turned in to it.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
The short answer is, you only need the starter ship that comes with your game package.

If you buy anything else before the game goes live you are gambling on one of two things: you’re betting you will enjoy the game mechanics of the activity the ship was designed for (exploration, mining, etc) or that the ship will increase in value over time.

I have the Aurora from my game package (upgraded to an LN because leather seats, of course).

Next I bought an LTI Super Hornet because dogfighting is what I look forward to doing the most, and I anticipate losing a lot of ships doing it.

Lastly, I bought an LTI Freelancer MIS on the premise that it was strictly a limited edition ship that will have rarity value down the road. If it's not fun to fly in fleet battles I will be able to make an advantageous trade.

Will it be worth my while to own a hauler to move my stuff around? I doubt it. We already know that traveling more than one system away will be a time sink. If I’m not earning credits doing it, I probably won’t want to travel much.

As a combat pilot, will it save or earn me credits in the long run to own a salvage/repair ship? I’m willing to wait until the game goes live to find out.

As far as ‘all-around’ or ‘multi-purpose’ ships are concerned, they are losers IMO. If i’m fighting, I want a no-compromises fighting ship. If I’m hauling freight, I want the ship with the biggest capacity. Min-maxing rules, because our in-game time is limited.

Last edited:

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I really like your art of explaining things. Short, smart...well, somehow pointless. But shiny art nevertheless :grin:
I have been know to be very artistic. Or was it autistic? I get the two confused.
My theory is that Owl sees nothing but clear paths to truth.
If by truth you mean liquor and beer, then yes! ;)

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I guess the TL;DR of my response is...we need to have some organized play time where we can borrow ships from each other that we can test drive before we buy!

I'm going to echo Black Sunder's 3-ship philosophy (but also say, "Take my advice -- I'm not using it!"). Right now, it is fun having a speedy, single seat fighter to zip around and fight pirates, or that a-hole who is shooting parked ships at Kareah. It is also fun having a Freelancer to use as a taxi service (and even fight in). And, the Andromeda (a stand in for my Carrack) is also really cool, because it is so damned big, and multi-player is cool!

But once the game is underway and the full mechanics are up and running, I'm not sure how much I will really like the fighter. I really want to do exploring, which is why I have a Freelancer DUR, but I also spent a bunch of money on the Carrack just because I didn't want to get left behind!

But all this is really unnecessary, as you can buy any ship in game. I'm thinking it should be easy (?) to buy a fighter in game, at least based on the REC prices now for fighters, so I'm not as wedded to keeping mine, as if I decide I want one I can get one in game.

Finally, also consider that with Squadron 42, I believe we will be doing a lot of flying around in Hornets and Gladius's, so it may not be as necessary to own one of them or a fighter -- f you want that thrill, just fire up Squadron 42.

Zahina

Commander
Donor
Dec 28, 2016
RSI Handle
Zahina84
Good Morning everyone !

Thank you all for your opinions :slight_smile:
Yesterday I watched a lot of videos of the Freelancer Dur and flew a lot with it (Normal Freelancer ofcourse).

I like it a lot and agree that the Freelancer Dur should be a very good addition to my Salvaging/Industry Fleet.
Will also add one of those Dragonflys as soon as they are available again.

As a fighter I will try the sabre today with my Electronic Access Credits.
But just like @Radegast74 mentioned a fighter isn't really on top of my list.

@NaffNaffBobFace
Will the Dragonfly be good as a fast scout or what do you have in mind ?

@maynard
Thank you for your response^^ But I wasn't asking what I need in general, I know what I want...I want to upgrade my Reclaimer to a nice little Industry fleet.

If we would discuss what we should need in this game then we will sit here forerver buddy ;-)

Last edited:

Crymsan

Space Marshal
Mar 10, 2016
RSI Handle
Crymsan
The terrapin is very much sold as an explorer not a scout but its capability seems to suit both. It cannot carry vehicles mind which with all the planet tech seems to have grown in the game. Not sure anyone should recommend a dur though cos of looks.

Forgot your password?