Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
- Brazil: Country no longer releasing official deaths data.
I remember posting about Brazil a couple dozen pages back (feels like a lifetime ago!). Kinda crazy that they have the 2nd most cases in the World. It's unbelievable that they have triple the cases that UK has and actually report less deaths. No way their numbers are accurate.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I remember posting about Brazil a couple dozen pages back (feels like a lifetime ago!). Kinda crazy that they have the 2nd most cases in the World. It's unbelievable that they have triple the cases that UK has and actually report less deaths. No way their numbers are accurate.
I know what you mean. The UK went from confirmed hospital cases only, to all cases, to frequently comparing Hospital, All Cases and Amount Over Average. Our (the UK's) control of the pandemic has been poor but the transparency, once we reached it (and assuming it's not faked) has been excellent... But we've not had a confirmed recovered number past 208 as it was abandoned near the beginning, so even then who the hell really knows what's going on anymore.

Maybe that fresh amazonian air is keeping so many Brazilians from succumbing? 🙂

EDIT - Just took a quick look at the UK data page for the first time in a while and it's no longer showing the breakdown between hospital deaths and all settings deaths. Perhaps ignore some of the above part about things and stuff. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
As I missed Mondays COVID-19 happenings from around the gloooobe (had things on) here's an extra early Tuesday edition:

- Malaysia: New cases fall to single digits.

- Russia: Moscow to start lifting lockdown restrictions.

- New Zealand: Reports coming from New Zealand that the total lifting of restrictions (except strict boarder controls) is a huge boon for the population, for this country there is no "New normal", there is just "Normal".

- Brazil: Senator calls for inquiry as reports emerge of muddled statistics which appeared to be designed to limit the number of daily deaths below 1000.

- World: Number of cases now over 7 million, number of deaths over 400,000

- US: New York starts to reopen for business after lockdown.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Lol my state (NC) has some of the highest positive COVID-19 tests percentages in the country. We have more active cases now than ever before, not counting the hundreds if not thousands of new cases that will pop up in a week or two due to exposure from close proximity at protests, in addition to our large metro area PDs tear gassing protesters (makes them cough a shitton, who would have thunk?) and incarcerating them in crowded jails.

Day to day cases continue to increase, but we're in "Phase 2.5" of reopening starting end of this week or beginning of next, which means bars and gyms are allowed to open back up assuming they follow proper sanitizing and distancing protocols.

I hope it doesn't, but I fear it will get really bad here in the next weeks.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Lol my state (NC) has some of the highest positive COVID-19 tests percentages in the country. We have more active cases now than ever before, not counting the hundreds if not thousands of new cases that will pop up in a week or two due to exposure from close proximity at protests, in addition to our large metro area PDs tear gassing protesters (makes them cough a shitton, who would have thunk?) and incarcerating them in crowded jails.

Day to day cases continue to increase, but we're in "Phase 2.5" of reopening starting end of this week or beginning of next, which means bars and gyms are allowed to open back up assuming they follow proper sanitizing and distancing protocols.

If CV evolves itself out of being deadly before that blows up the US will be heeeeellla lucky. It ill be interesting to watch that, I saw a report that a study on lockdown found it reduces cases by 81%.

It seems pretty certain there will be attempts to blame a second spike on the protestors while ignoring all the things like starting lockdowns too late or lifting lockdowns too early and in the UK the rank hypocrisy of the people who made the lockdown rules breaching them causing visits to the seaside to raise 2000% the very next day after reports of the breaches came out as people lost trust in the advice they had been diligently following for months. I'm not saying the protests will not have contributed to a second wave, but they will in no way be responsible for one with so many other contributing factors. Example to prove the rule: New Zealand could have unlimited no-social-distancing protests with no risk of a second wave.

In the UK the PM tweeted (a worrying trend given Trumps record on tweeting) that while peaceful socially distanced protest was of course permitted "...Those responsible will be held to account." in regard to the violent minority of the protests. While I do obviously agree that there is no place for violence, I'm not sure how he intends to hold the originators of the Slave Trade, who are the ones responsible for this, to account unless he has a time machine.

Even then, if he does have a time machine, the slave trade is such an integral part of the UK and US history that if the timeline was altered to hold them to account the resulting history would be so different as to cause the time machine not to be invented and there would be a Paradox locking Mr. Johnson in an eternal prison of vocab complex yet content anemic soundbites "Get done, get done, get done... Protect the, protect the, protect the... Move on, move on, move on..." I think he needs to stop this time-travel plan nonsense and remove inequality from the UK instead by clamping down on things like Racial Profiling, Racism, Persecution and Bias based purely on someones geographic origin or skin colour etc etc etc.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Various Virus somethingbeginningwithV, from today Tuesday 9th of June:

- UK: British non-essential shops due to reopen on Monday 15th, while plan to bring primary schools back before the end of term is scrapped as only 25% of eligible children return to classes.

- China: Air travel between Beijing and Wuhan resumes.

- Brazil: A supreme court judge orders the publication of infections and deaths to resume.

- India: Although lockdown eases, businesses report not much rise in footfall as people stay away.

- USA: 14 states record record new highs in confirmed cases from the seven day average count. The incubation period appears to indicate the rise in infections occured around the time of the lifting of lockdown, with Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Kentucky, New Mexico, North Carolina, Mississippi, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah recording highs.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Well I went out to eat for the first time, right down the street. Not many people in the restaurant. Things feel like a sunday around here. Some things are closed and theres not as much traffic. It was like the 3rd time ive left the house since this all started, its crazy how weird things feel.

Ran across these articles as well:

I think it said the utah guard had no positive cases. I'm sure they are testing all the guardsmen as they return and well see how many do test positive and where. Its definitely going to produce some valuable data. Everyone gets tested, everyone is accounted for, and they all have their entire medical records on file in the same spot.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya

Im surprised to see the numbers keep climbing in NC.

Gov Cooper took action pretty fast, but it seems all the early action did was prevent the initial spike of cases as opposed to reduce overall cases.

The climb in cases has been steady since the beginning, not the peak and decline we saw in states like NY.

Then there was the chicken processing plant that was hit with 600 cases in a single day.

Good news, if you can call it that, is that the death rates have been in the 16-20/day range for the past month, so no increasing death rates while increases in cases... kinda good news.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Covid Catharsis Corner: Reports from today Wednesday 10th of June!

- UK: Reports suggest the country is the hardest hit economically out of any developed country anywhere on earth, with an 11.5% drop.

- Italy: Families attempt to reclaim their virus victim relatives accidentally buried in an area of Milan cemetery for people who had no one to claim their remains.

- USA: Surgisphere, the small medical company behind the contested hydroxychloroquine study, under continued scrutiny as claimed links to universities rebuffed and an audit of previously published papers under way.

- Africa: President of Burundi dies of suspected COVID-19.

- USA: Company Crossfit takes a serious kicking after CEOs Virus/Floyd tweets cause outrage, leading to his resignation.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Reckon Brits will rethink Brexit because of this or push on?
The people who floated and caused the successful 2016 Brexit referendum got the top job in 2019 when the incumbent prime minister resigned, and they replaced them. They were then successfully elected in by the general public on December 12th 2019 with a soundbite of "Get Brexit Done". There are 4 years between General Elections so they are not being ushered out until at least 2023. They are the people who are currently handling and are continuing to handle the Virus crisis and at the same time are also supposed to be handling Brexit withdrawal and trade talks, with a deadline of December 2020, this year, to have everything settled with the EU.

If Brexit is anything like how they have handled COVID-19, to condense the situation in to one simple line:

We're riding that burning wreckage all the way to the ground, dude.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
rs
The people who floated and caused the successful 2016 Brexit referendum got the top job in 2019 when the incumbent prime minister resigned, and they replaced them. They were then successfully elected in by the general public on December 12th 2019 with a soundbite of "Get Brexit Done". There are 4 years between General Elections so they are not being ushered out until at least 2023. They are the people who are currently handling and are continuing to handle the Virus crisis and at the same time are also supposed to be handling Brexit withdrawal and trade talks, with a deadline of December 2020, this year, to have everything settled with the EU.

If Brexit is anything like how they have handled COVID-19, to condense the situation in to one simple line:

Bummer. I was in London a couple of years ago and the Londoners I met were overwhelmingly Anti-Brexit. They were also mostly Millenials so there's that. At that time I thought the whole business was a fluke and it'll never come to pass. Guess London isn't necessary representative of the rest of the country. 😑

What's the consensus on the Johnson Government's response to Covid19? Pitchforks, approval, or general apathy?

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
My very serious Covid situation update from the EU, as of 2020 June 10th:

I finally got a haircut!

Reckon Brits will rethink Brexit because of this or push on?
To be fair, the EU's handling of the situation as an entity was really bad. It was an "every men for himself" scenario. They still argue about who should pay who, meanwhile the majority of the crisis passed with everyone doing their own part as best as they could. Being in the EU didn't stop countries from literally stealing shipments of other EU members' medical equipment if it was coming in through their ports and such... So if anything, this should have been a wakeup call how unprepared the system is currently, and needs a serious rethink on how to handle an actual crisis situation.

thanks for doing the dailies!
on an actually serious note, I hope your govmnt gets it's shit together in the coming months. I hope they handle the trade talks better than they did with the virus. It's such a great place, been there years ago to London, Bovington, and the areas there, most of my contract work comes from there, and would love to visit again one day.
I think I liked Johnson better when he wrote car reviews...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
My very serious Covid situation update from the EU, as of 2020 June 10th:

I finally got a haircut!
To be fair, the EU's handling of the situation as an entity was really bad. It was an "every men for himself" scenario. They still argue about who should pay who, meanwhile the majority of the crisis passed with everyone doing their own part as best as they could. Being in the EU didn't stop countries from literally stealing shipments of other EU members' medical equipment if it was coming in through their ports and such... So if anything, this should have been a wakeup call how unprepared the system is currently, and needs a serious rethink on how to handle an actual crisis situation.
Yeah fair enough. I'm actually low key hoping The UK and Canada would revisit our relations. Get Australia and the Kiwis in too (Yay! The Gang is back together again!).

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So to add to the irony of safety, saw that CA still has social distancing rules in place for no parties bigger than 20 iirc, but if you're protesting then 100 people are fine!

• Glorious
Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
What's the consensus on the Johnson Government's response to Covid19? Pitchforks, approval, or general apathy?
It entirely depends on who you talk to.

Pitchforks? Some citizens would defend the government even if it collectively stood in front of them with its dick out pissing on their shoes.

Approval? Some citizens would criticise the government even if they handed gold bars wrapped in silver foil to everyone in the country.

Apathy? Some citizens would ignore the whole sorry mess knowing it 'aint their fault if they don't participate (wilful non-participation, not apathy).

Quite what the percentages are we won't know until Election Day, so pretty much like everywhere else.

Oh, we all know they screwed it up either by design or arrogance but right now it's looking more like both. There was a general willingness to accept the explanations until the Cummings incident and lo, something like scales fell from their eyes and the governments approval rating has fallen through the floor and then fallen through whatever is under that, too, now standing at an incredible 32%.

To put 32% in some kind of perspective, 16.5% of the population is employed by the government in the public sector, so assuming they don't want to get sacked and say they approve to keep the pay checks rolling in, that's a lousy 15.5% of the population that think it's all tickety-boo.
facepalm-B.gif~c100.gif

thanks for doing the dailies!
on an actually serious note, I hope your govmnt gets it's shit together in the coming months. I hope they handle the trade talks better than they did with the virus. It's such a great place, been there years ago to London, Bovington, and the areas there, most of my contract work comes from there, and would love to visit again one day.
I think I liked Johnson better when he wrote car reviews...
No problem on the daily comments, I've been repeating what I'm seeing on 3 or 4 of my favored news sites so it's not like I'm actually putting any work in to it ;-)

Thanks for your kind words, I too hope for the best possible outcome, however from the brexit carry-on last seen before the virus swept it all away, one needs more than flashy words to build ones approach on and it's become more and more clear through both the brexit and covid problems, that there 'aint much substance there.

It's a bit like biting into an Eclaire only to find they didn't bother put the cream in. Just a load of air incased in a yeasty sweet smelling hollow void.

Forgot your password?