Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
- China: Beijing struck by new cases after two months clear fears of a second wave arise as a result.
I really wish we knew what the hell was going on there.

- Brazil: Overtakes UK to second place for highest number of recorded deaths to the virus while the city of São Paulo plans to exhume remains buried years ago to free up space for victims.

Let's hope there's a plateau in sight and they can adapt. I can't imagine being in a country with a weak healthcare system and a huge population of people living in poverty right now. Have you heard anything from places in the middle east or Africa?

- New Zealand: Sports crowds stand shoulder to shoulder on stands, recovery and release of last sick person from hospital means the country now has no known active cases and has gone 22 days since last new case.

No known cases. Let's hope things stay that way. When you mention the packed stadiums, is this something that's acceptable in NZ or is that being frowned upon?

- USA: Fauci advises second wave not inevitable if proper precautions are taken, and Trump reschedules Tulsa rally, not to avoid exposing attendees to Covid, but to avoid key date in slavery history combined with Tulsa having been the site of one of the most fatal race massacres in US history.

When I found out he was going to Tulsa, now, considering everything thats going on I said "holy shit he's got some balls to go into Tulsa". That whole incident was fucking brutal. If anyone reading this doesn't know about the Tulsa massacre, I highly suggest you at least go to wikipedia and get the run down.

I hope fauci is right.

- UK: Education institutions and local councils reveal they were not consulted on recently revealed government plan to have children who have missed out on months of education in Lockdown with catch up sessions through the summer holiday.

It seems the children have it the worst out of everyone. If I was in their shoes I'd be so mad. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO MAKE ALL THIS TIME UP?!?!?!"
Ah, I remember those days.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Let's hope there's a plateau in sight and they can adapt. I can't imagine being in a country with a weak healthcare system and a huge population of people living in poverty right now. Have you heard anything from places in the middle east or Africa?
From what I have read Africa is really ramping up so a later start than the rest of the world with it just waiting to kick in, but the Congo particularly in peril as they have Ebola and Measles outbreaks at the same time too.

Middle east UEA has instilled lockdown and has the only data I've so far read on asymptomatic spread - 44% of detected asymptomatic cases they detected were contagious which if accurate is incredible info.

No known cases. Let's hope things stay that way. When you mention the packed stadiums, is this something that's acceptable in NZ or is that being frowned upon?
I'm not native to NZ so I don't know what the local sentiment is, but from what it looks that country is basically back to normal internally, as in they don't appear to need to be doing much anymore beyond making sure it doesn't come back in again.

• o7
Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
According to this, Florida added 2.4k positive cases yesterday and 1.4k the day before, although deaths have been lagging behind which is to be expected. With that said, wonder what next month is going to look like.

1,371,401 TESTED OVERALL STATEWIDE

73,552 POSITIVE

1,296,861 NEGATIVE

2,925 DEAD

I couldn't find the data for those that have "recovered"

And for my county:

we have 1,401 positive cases. 372 hospitalizations, 75 deaths. We are the second largest county in florida but thankfully our population is nowhere near as dense as miami-dade.

Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Coronavirus survival comes with a $1.1 million, 181-page price tag

I have a friend who found it extremely difficult to get across to the Americans she met professionally that a broken arm didn't cost $5000. If you were paying cost price it would not be much over $200 in time, materials, consultancy and maintenance etc, so + 50% for margin and profits too.

What a racket, yo.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Coronavirus survival comes with a $1.1 million, 181-page price tag

I have a friend who found it extremely difficult to get across to the Americans she met professionally that a broken arm didn't cost $5000. If you were paying cost price it would not be much over $200 in time, materials, consultancy and maintenance etc, so + 50% for margin and profits too.

What a racket, yo.
God Bless America.

We're certainly number one at something.
That person doesn't have to pay a dime. All of the numbers involved are between the hospital and the insurance agency / state, and neither of them will ever see but a fraction of that amount. US medical accounting is fucking stupid for sure, but it might as well be monopoly money.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Covid Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today Sunday 14th of June:

- Czech Republic: Poland accidentally invades and holds small piece of land for several days while patrolling boarder movement between the two countries.

- India: 11,929 cases recorded in one day, the highest in that country so far.

- UK: Review in to two meter social distancing to take place in hopes industries such as tourism can resume with closer proximity. Current information suggests 6 seconds at 1 meter is as safe as 60 seconds at 2 meters.

- China: Localized lockdowns reintroduced in Beijing after 57 new cases in one day.

- UK: Report on COVID-19 effect on Black, Aisian, and Mixed Ethnicity (BAME) population in the UK hits the headlines amid suggestions that it had been buried. Its recommendations to remedy the inconsistency high number of deaths in the BAME community include tackling discrimination and systemic racism in the wider community. Government responds it hadn't been buried, they just hadn't published it yet.

- USA: Harvard University study suggesting COVID-19 may have begun in China as early as August 2019 called into question by fact-checking from many avenues, as stated evidence and methodology called in to question.

- Chile: Health minister quits citing the governments response to the pandemic in the country.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
- USA: Harvard University study suggesting COVID-19 may have begun in China as early as August 2019 called into question by fact-checking from many avenues, as stated evidence and methodology called in to question.

I think this is due to satellite intelligence showing abnormal activity in the parking lots around one of their research labs. It will be interesting to see where that leads.

- UK: Review in to two meter social distancing to take place in hopes industries such as tourism can resume with closer proximity. Current information suggests 6 seconds at 1 meter is as safe as 60 seconds at 2 meters.

Let me know when it's safe to come over. I finally get into a position to travel again and here I am on house arrest.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Let me know when it's safe to come over. I finally get into a position to travel again and here I am on house arrest.
To my knowledge the UK never closed its boarders. There was a report recently indicating the Corona Virus entered the country 1,300 separate times.

All you have to do is prove you have somewhere to self isolate for 14 days and then you can go out and do whatever you want - like catching Corona Virus. All the shops open tomorrow while we are still getting over 1000 cases a day and 100's of new deaths a day.

So... er... I'll let you know when it's safe.

Last edited:

Kaus_Borealis

Grand Admiral
Jun 9, 2019
RSI Handle
Kaus_Borealis
That person doesn't have to pay a dime. All of the numbers involved are between the hospital and the insurance agency / state, and neither of them will ever see but a fraction of that amount. US medical accounting is fucking stupid for sure, but it might as well be monopoly money.
That's true, but he realizes that doesn't have to pay a dime now. At the very beginning he was scared thiking he can't afford the bill. Today he feels guilty for survive.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
To my knowledge the UK never closed its boarders. There was a report recently indicating the Corona Virus entered the country 1,300 separate times.

All you have to do is prove you have somewhere to self isolate for 14 days and then you can go out and do whatever you want - like catching Corona Virus. All the shops open tomorrow while we are still getting over 1000 cases a day and 100's of new deaths a day.

So... er... I'll let you know when it's safe.
So you are saying we can come stay with you for 14 days?

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
So you are saying we can come stay with you for 14 days?
I normally wouldn't say no to a TESTie but I've not stayed home for two and a half months to go breaking that winning streak now ;-)

I know several people who were sent a letter by the government early on telling them they'd been noticed going out and about and to knock that shit on the head right away. It was mostly people choosing to drive to towns fairly far away to do their food shopping at their favorite supermarket rather than going to their nearest.

COVID-19 relies on your brand loyalty to spread, stay local to keep it where it belongs: In that crappy town two over.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Covid Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Monday 15th of June:

- UK: Enthusiastic shoppers flock back to stores and create long lines while first day of compulsory face coverings on public transport is met with resistance from a "sizeable minority".

- USA: Florida Scientist who was fired for refusing to fudge the numbers produces own data as the state reported record number of new cases over the weekend.

- China: Beijing outbreak now at 100 confirmed cases.

- Norway: Suspends virus app amid claims of "disproportionate invasion of privacy".

- World: Only 3 out of 53 countries surveyed in huge opinion poll of citizens say the US has approached the pandemic better than China did, with 60% of respondants saying china had done a good job compared to only a third for the US (33.3333333333333333333333%). UK, unsurprisingly, also performed poorly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
- World: Only 3 out of 53 countries surveyed in huge opinion poll of citizens say the US has approached the pandemic better than China did, with 60% of respondants saying china had done a good job compared to only a third for the US (33.3333333333333333333333%). UK, unsurprisingly, also performed poorly.
I'd say that's probably true, but the initial Chinese reaction does not appear to be ... completely free of issues... We can only hope at this point that they have learned something. On the other hand, I don't believe all US states have been truthful either, especially given situations like this keep popping up.
- USA: Florida Scientist who was fired for refusing to fudge the numbers produces own data as the state reported record number of new cases over the weekend.
So... are we no better than China? It's just a question, but if we're trying to fudge numbers here, why can't China do it?
I personally would rather full transparency on both sides of the pacific about this issue - at least between Governments and the researchers investigating it. Like that would ever happen.

This is a virus, for which we have no natural immunity, and any acquired immunity may be fleeting. We just don't know enough, and it does not care about politics.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I'd say that's probably true, but the initial Chinese reaction does not appear to be ... completely free of issues... We can only hope at this point that they have learned something. On the other hand, I don't believe all US states have been truthful either, especially given situations like this keep popping up.

So... are we no better than China? It's just a question, but if we're trying to fudge numbers here, why can't China do it?
I personally would rather full transparency on both sides of the pacific about this issue - at least between Governments and the researchers investigating it. Like that would ever happen.

This is a virus, for which we have no natural immunity, and any acquired immunity may be fleeting. We just don't know enough, and it does not care about politics.
I don't think any one country, even with the best of intentions, has been able to get the reporting of numbers exactly right. UK has no recovered numbers beyond the very earliest of days at 208 and that is where it has stayed. USA seems to have changed the definition of what dying of COVID means half way through, Brazil has had legal run-ins...

The only seemingly reliable measure right now is deaths over the 5 year average. Not perfect by any means, but for the short term until proper figures can be attained, it will do. Unless your country isn't reporting what the current over average is.

None of it is perfect, there is no unified approach, each country has its preferred way of doing things. I have absolutely no problem with that, but for a Pandemic? Also have one globally agreed way of counting it and chuck it all in the pot. It's 2020. I can talk to someone on the other side of the planet in real time. It doesn't have to be this way anymore.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Not sure if I said this... both my wife's parents (78 years) and sister survived COVID-19. Grandma returned from the hospital last week and Grandpa is going to return this week. Wife's sister never went to the hospital. No one needed a ventilator. Thanks Naf for your updates.
Good to hear dude!

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Fuck.

However...

Mutations like this help the novel coronavirus ensure its survival. Simply put, the scientists believe the virus is evolving and better adapting to humans.

There is no evidence that this mutation has any effect on the severity of the disease. But because this mutation is so common in the U.S., Dr. Michael Farzan of Scripps says he doesn't think it will impact us much more than it already has.

“The virus is already dominating within the United States and Europe, so our experience with the virus is mostly our experience with this virus, with the new form of the virus,” he noted.

Forgot your password?