Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
$750k? Honestly I'll be happy with a $2k fine per person per group and maybe a one year ban from entering. 😜
Thinking holistically about this, even $750k is not all that much to a countries budgets so it's not about turning a profit, its about putting off rule breakers and making those who do break the rules feel it now, and for the rest of their lives.

Seeing the fines issued so far, someone from outside the country could look at their savings, crunch some numbers and decide they can easily afford to break quarantine, especially if what they are in Canada for is worth much more to them then $1000. Heck, a businessman may see that as an affordable business expense to get a contract signed, all while introducing a new infection point to Canada. It costs him $1000 and makes his company millions, and costs Canadians their lives. But even a business man with $300k in savings will think twice about having no health coverage. Those costs can spiral waaaay beyond a few hundred thousand in the US just for a single bout of serious, yet treatable, illness.

Taking away an Americans health insurance coverage is cutting their lives short especially now the Affordable Care Act (which stopped people being penalized and denied coverage for previous ailments) is in the process of being repealed with nothing on the horizon to replace it with. People who think in the short term need to be given a look at the long term consequences of their actions.

Last edited:

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
We have seen more hostile responses from US to people crossing border illegaly, but the same sin is commited without batting an eye... COVID is tough, but humanity is what makes me scared with all this.

It does seem very effective to have health insurance targeted for transgressors. It is savage all right, but no more than denying public health services in the middle of pandemics. I know very little about the US system, so not saying that is what happens there, but in Brazil it was badly common for people not getting the proper treatment in public health care (long lines, staff not being paid, lack of instruments, and many more factors).

Here in Portugal I had my first case of pneumonia (the climate in the north is so damn different), got away with full medical care for like 18 euros (because I went for emergency). And that is like being a total noob on how stuff worked around here.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Wednesday 8th of July:

- World: Scientists from across the globe convince World Health Organization to take another look at how the virus is transmitted in the air, indicating there is real evidence that beyond droplet transmission when people cough or sneeze, it could also be bourne via particle transmission which stays in the air a lot longer especially indoors and particles can be preduced by talking and breathing. Masks, even home made ones, may have a real benefit in reducing transmission of the virus from this transmission source.

- UK: During Prime Ministers Questions, following statements that comments he previously made in the week appeared to be victim blaming in regards to the high number of deaths in the Care Homes setting, the Prime Minister accepts "full responsibility for what has happened." but refuses to retract previous comments and apologise for them (he said they made the problem bigger by not following the rules, but it was he and his government that delayed lockdown for two weeks meaning there essentially were no rules to follow at the time). Also has still not accepted that his chief advisor committed a breach of lockdown by driving 261 miles across the country with an active COVID case in the car a day before he himself became symptomatic.

- Canada: President states situation has stabilized however points out there are still some hot-spots. He went as far to say the country has handled the situation better than some of it's allies, including the USA.

- France: Two men charged with beating up a bus driver who refused them passage without masks, leaving him braid-dead. Because of the life-ending injuries charges appear to be Murder, or to the same level of.

- UK: Hospital in north-wast London closes emergency department after 70 staff self-isolate due to outbreak. Cheif Exec accuses staff of not wearing PPE causing them to become infected.

- Catalonia: Mask wearing in public made compulsory.

- US: President Trump tweets any school that refuses to reopen as restrictions are lifted will have its funding cut. Vice President takes a contradictory stance saying "We're here to help" and "We're here to assist with the shared objective, which I think is shared by every parent in America, which is we want to get our kids back. We want to get them back in the classroom." which sounds a lot better until you realise it's saying the same thing but without a threat attached to it.

- Germany: Angela Merkel, who holds a Doctorate in Quantum Chemistry, points out the Coronavirus pandemic has stretched "fact-denying popularism" to its limits.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today Wednesday 8th of July:
- Canada: President states situation has stabilized however points out there are still some hot-spots. He went as far to say the country has handled the situation better than some of it's allies, including the USA.
Prime Minister actually. Parliamentary system, Queenie and all that. :o7:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Half the issue in the US now is that we've politicized the pandemic. It's no longer a unified effort to do what's best for the health of our society, it's now a divided "us vs them" attitude. I have co-workers who are openly calling it a farce and refusing to wear masks or practice any form of precautionary behavior. HR has sent out two notices to the Denver office so far, seems Dallas isn't an issue because the corp office there was shut down again last week... I talked to a friend who had COVID in March, she and her room-mate were infected, she's made a full recovery but her room-mate is still suffering, restricted from any physically stressful behavior, taking blood thinners to treat an onset of blood clots and that's about all I remember.

Reactions: Radegast74

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
she's made a full recovery but her room-mate is still suffering,
Thats terrible.

Im not sure what else we can do at this point, people have taken all the advice they need from facebook and nothing you say can change their minds.

Gambit

Space Marshal
Mar 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Gambit
Half the issue in the US now is that we've politicized the pandemic. It's no longer a unified effort to do what's best for the health of our society, it's now a divided "us vs them" attitude. I have co-workers who are openly calling it a farce and refusing to wear masks or practice any form of precautionary behavior. HR has sent out two notices to the Denver office so far, seems Dallas isn't an issue because the corp office there was shut down again last week... I talked to a friend who had COVID in March, she and her room-mate were infected, she's made a full recovery but her room-mate is still suffering, restricted from any physically stressful behavior, taking blood thinners to treat an onset of blood clots and that's about all I remember.
Sadly, the politicization of any topic has become a sort of public entertainment (among other things). Like the fans of two teams have "fun" fighting each other (sometimes to deadly levels). No notion of the danger that this behavior brings

Forgot your password?