Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
They've offered me a travel credit. I do have travel insurance and will get the cost of the flights back. Insurance payouts are slow though!
That's a relief, I suppose given the circumstances it's understandable.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 18th of September:

- World: 30,290,791 confirmed cases and 947,919 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 30 million confirmed cases, we passed 29 million on Monday, meaning 1 million new cases in the last 4/5 days.

- US: New York Times reports guidance issued last month by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), that it was not necessary to test people who had no symptoms, was not written by CDC scientists and was published against their objections.

- France: Deaths have stated trending upwards for the first time since the national Lockdown ended.

- Europe: EU makes a second deal for potential COVID vaccine, this time for 300 million doses of the Glaxo Smith Kline candidate.

- UK: Prime Minister states a second wave is inevitable as daily cases reach 4,322 and scientist warn virus is once again widespread rather than local hotspots, and suggests that although the nations cooperation has been incredible in putting down the infection rate to this point, the rising case number is because people were not able to keep up the effort of social distancing etc. (What impact reopening pubs, reopening schools, the eat out to help out initiative, insisting people who can work from home should return to the offices to save Central Business Districts and sending potentially COVID infected people hundreds of miles for a test, was as far as I am aware not mentioned.)

- Spain: Madrid introduces partial lockdown in 26 areas of the city as cases climb.

- UK: The leader of the Isle Of Wight council advises people are being send from mainland UK to the island for COVID testing. On a ferry. That's nuts, yo.

- Iran: Officials indicate they are looking down the barrel of a third wave.

- Thailand: Records first COVID death in 100 days.

- Czech Republic: With 3,130 daily cases recorded yesterday, Thursday beat the whole of March for recorded cases in the country.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 19th of September:

- World: 30,588,989 confirmed cases and 953,482 confirmed deaths.

- World: Poland, Indonesia, France and multiple other countries report record rises in single day new COVID cases.

- UK: Police storm anti-lockdown protest at Trafalgar Square, the protesters repurposed steel fencing to stall the charge described as a "Surprise attack".

- Australia: Police arrest some anti-lockdown protesters in Melbourne.

- US/world: Industrial bleach Chlorine Dioxide being sold on Amazon as a miracle cure for COVID-19. Sellers indicate it is a water treatment, which in small traces can be used to treat water, however in the concentrations being advised by sellers are well above safety levels. Although it has been advised it is not for internal consumption, customers in the comments section have been comparing how many drops they believe it takes to cure the virus. The FDA indicates consuming the chemical can result in lasting side-effects including death.

- Canada: Ontario to prohibit private social gatherings, identifies as a contributor to the latest rise in cases.

- UK: 13.5 million citizens now under stronger-than-national lockdown restrictions, daily cases see another rise to 4,422.

- US: Former adviser confirms the administration knew the pandemic was going to be serious as early as February "...But the president didn’t want to hear that because his biggest concern was that we were in an election year, and how is this going to affect what he considered to be his record of success. It was shocking to see the president saying that the virus was a hoax, saying that everything’s OK, when we know that’s not the truth." They went on to alleges President stated a positive effect of the pandemic was that he no longer had to shake the hands of supporters whom he described as "disgusting people".

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
- US: Former adviser confirms the administration knew the pandemic was going to be serious as early as February "...But the president didn’t want to hear that because his biggest concern was that we were in an election year, and how is this going to affect what he considered to be his record of success. It was shocking to see the president saying that the virus was a hoax, saying that everything’s OK, when we know that’s not the truth." They went on to alleges President stated a positive effect of the pandemic was that he no longer had to shake the hands of supporters whom he described as "disgusting people".

What do you make of the information in this twitter thread, dated 26 February. I had this saved in bookmarks to see how this progressed. I also remember having the conversation here about the president downplaying the virus, as I thought he should to an extent as to not cause panic, and he did just that. It was pretty obvious and I don't see why people are surprised. I told you the economic hardships would be near catastrophic and that we would see mass civil unrest. I also warned people about this virus back in January and I had a ridiculous amount of people who told me I was being paranoid. I expressed my concerns about an early vaccine, and I wasn't told by you guys that I was an anti vaxer, but I was dismissed by friends as one. Now it seems to be common sentiment that because its something trump is touting, that it will be bad. I saw the news saying that the sturgis rally was a super spreader event, just like trumps rallies, yet they said next to nothing about Las Vegas on labor day weekend. That place was absolutely packed.

I'm not sure if it was here or in G-loc, where we were laughing, wondering how soon before it hit the US and it would be trumps fault. It didn't take long at all. The thing that makes me upset about all of this, is not the false information as I really can't prove anything false, but the omission of information. I have my biases obviously...obvvvviously, but it makes me distrust the information that reaches me when I'm told one thing but have experienced another. I can't trust anything anymore.

View: https://twitter.com/TheLastRefuge2/status/1232752316211703809

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I can't trust anything anymore.
Interestingly, this has been the tactic of a certain World Power for quite a few year now. It started in their own country, with the state making donations to extremist groups. When those group s said "Look, we are in the right because our state backs us" the anti-extremest groups showed the extremists that the state had also made donations to them.

The result was deadlock - no one knew what was what and the status-quo just rolled on and on and on.

A very powerful tactic once you are in the position of power. Deadlock the possibility of change and nothing changes - you stay where you are, in charge.

After that success the tactic was rolled out across the internet and thus the world.

Problem is other states saw how delightfully effective this disinformation tactic was an adopted it themselves. Disinformation on top of disinformation on top of disinformation leads in only one direction - Extremism in one direction or another, Anarchy, and then Revolution.

Disclaimer: I am am drunker than I have been at any point in the last decade. The above may be total and utter bullshit. I have had prosecco, Captain Morgans spiced Rum, Amaretto and a lot of tortillas and salsa because why ever the hell not?

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Interestingly, this has been the tactic of a certain World Power for quite a few year now. It started in their own country, with the state making donations to extremist groups. When those group s said "Look, we are in the right because our state backs us" the anti-extremest groups showed the extremists that the state had also made donations to them.

The result was deadlock - no one knew what was what and the status-quo just rolled on and on and on.

A very powerful tactic once you are in the position of power. Deadlock the possibility of change and nothing changes - you stay where you are, in charge.

After that success the tactic was rolled out across the internet and thus the world.

Problem is other states saw how delightfully effective this disinformation tactic was an adopted it themselves. Disinformation on top of disinformation on top of disinformation leads in only one direction - Extremism in one direction or another, Anarchy, and then Revolution.

Disclaimer: I am am drunker than I have been at any point in the last decade. The above may be total and utter bullshit. I have had prosecco, Captain Morgans spiced Rum, Amaretto and a lot of tortillas and salsa because why ever the hell not?
Lol you don't ever have to put a disclaimer man. You are always objective and to the point and before someone says something that might be off I don't immediately think theyre an idiot or biased or whatnot, I hope you're enjoying yourself!. But I hear you. Its why I am always talking about edward bernays, joseph goebels, machiavelli, etc... Its where the true power lies in the world. I know i sound ridiculous when i try to express myself, and say I cannot articulate my thoughts, as I feel its perceived as an excuse for sounding like an idiot, but I think I can use the language of a teenage girl here and use quotes.

As carl sagan says "the simplest thought such as the concept of the number one has an elaborate logical underpinning". Things are so, so, so much more complex than what we take at face value. The logic that is usually overlooked due to time and efficiency is usually where the truth lies. Remember when we were discussing the closure of Walt-Disney world and how it was an obvious action that needed to be taken? Yet I explained how it would drive all of those people out to the bars and restaurants and gyms? Well look at it now. Disney is back open, and the bars restaurants and gyms are the things that are still closed. Here's another quote for instagram:

“The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift.” - Albert Einstein.

Take the same logic feynman discusses in this interview, and apply it to the way you break down the complexities of the media.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Wow that is AMAZING Jolly... I am so happy that you continue to ask questions and challenge the narrative. You are AWESOME... better than I could have ever said it.
Lol thanks, but don't make my head big like that :P . I just always feel like an idiot trying to explain my perspective, because I can't connect the dots with words. Intuition is the best way to put it. Read books, pay attention, trust your gut, be self aware. I'm not always right obviously, but I like to believe my intuition is pretty good.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Lol thanks, but don't make my head big like that :P . I just always feel like an idiot trying to explain my perspective, because I can't connect the dots with words. Intuition is the best way to put it. Read books, pay attention, trust your gut, be self aware. I'm not always right obviously, but I like to believe my intuition is pretty good.
Go watch The Social Dilemma on Netflix right now.

Its all ex Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest employees talking about risks and negatives of social media. The guy who created the like button in Facebook is one of the people on the documentary. He explains that the like button was originally created to spread love and share happiness. It evolved into something else over the years.

Like flat earth conspiracies? 90% chances you like pizzagate. 83% chance you like COVID is a hoax facebook groups.

Im just making up those stats, but thats essentially how the algos work when they decide what to throw into your social media feeds.

I think you will enjoy it!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Mmmm, Rum.

Rereading my drunk post, I believe I should have written "uncertainty" rather than "disinformation". Other than that, I have no idea what I was going on about.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

Its all ex Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest employees talking about risks and negatives of social media. The guy who created the like button in Facebook is one of the people on the documentary. He explains that the like button was originally created to spread love and share happiness. It evolved into something else over the years.

Like flat earth conspiracies? 90% chances you like pizzagate. 83% chance you like COVID is a hoax facebook groups.

Im just making up those stats, but thats essentially how the algos work when they decide what to throw into your social media feeds.

awesome, its almost 5am and I need to sleep, but it will give me something to watch, I love that stuff. I’ll throw a couple your way down below I think you’d like. Absolutely amazing docs.

Mmmm, Rum.

Rereading my drunk post, I believe I should have written "uncertainty" rather than "disinformation". Other than that, I have no idea what I was going on about.
You did good Mr bobface. You wrote words, I couldn’t d have asked much more of you and your rum :P

Anyways, here’s one doc I really suggest you don’t forget to watch. If you like this one and want to dive deeper, search for the power of nightmares, also by Adam Curtis

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Interesting article on a theory that wearing a mask helps regulate the viral load people being infected with COVID receive, which increasing evidence suggests can then effect the severity of the resulting illness.

If this turns out to be in any way true it totally turns on its head the concerns constantly given out that a mask may increase the risk of contracting COVID.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
While this hypothesis needs to be backed up with more clinical study, experiments in hamsters have hinted at a connection between dose and disease.
The ones on the front lines.

Godspeed little hamsters. Godspeed.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 20th September:

- World: 30,859,069 confirmed cases and 958,314 confirmed deaths.

- US: Performs a record 1 million tests in one day.

- New Zealand: Three new COVID cases identified, who are relatives of a man who had returned from traveling overseas. He had quarantined for 14 days and did not test positive.

- Spain: Demonstrators in Madrid protest new restrictions due to be implemented in many parts of the city.

- UK: Mayor of London warns they need new restrictions by tomorrow if they are to avoid seeing a new spike in cases in the very near future.

- China: Officials find COVID on a package of imported squid, warns anyone who may have purchased to seek testing.

Reactions: Jolly_Green_Giant

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant

Oh man. I’m half way through watching it right now. If I didnt feel like people would think I’m being a ridiculous conspiracy theorist, I’d love to discuss this rabbit hole. I wrote a whole essay but deleted it. I’d rather have a conversation on discord over voice at the very least. This stuff is my life. I’m a slave to my mind. Figuring out the falsehoods in the world, and how it manipulates me is one of the most important things in my life, if I actually want to keep my sanity. It’s that important to me. So when I say all I have is my intuition with these things, there’s no better way to put it if you don’t take the information like what’s in this video very seriously. People have to be willing to entertain certain things as true, and watching this video is a good start. While it may even be obvious to most people, It’s a thought that is easily forgotten as we fall back into our own manufactured reality. I’m not above being manipulated, we’re all in this together, I just don’t want to fall into the long con and lose sight of what’s real.

It starts with understanding the simple things from a psych 101 course. You have to find something that incentivizes you to want to learn more, not just about the world around you, but who you are and what you are capable of.

Just be self aware.

I can lead a horse to water...

Anyways, deleting all of my social media accounts was the best place I could have started. Being on Discord makes me uneasy, but the consequences don’t outweigh the benefits right now. They still got me.

I love the ominous music towards the end. They’re trying to scare you. Good on them, because I think everyone should be terrified. We have decades left in our lives potentially, and the situation is rapidly deteriorating, you can only dismiss things as ridiculous for so long. What do we do? Good question. I don’t know how you get sociopaths to not be sociopaths, or stop a train from going down the tracks without a conductor.

oof.

can I get an F in chat for society

Last edited:
Forgot your password?