Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Ouch... don't break a leg... Are there alternatives for people who need emergency treatment when they do this? I don't mean because they sneezed, or worse - their neighbors dog sneezed. I mean because they need an A&E, the kind of thing they don't make you wait in the waiting room for. Otherwise it just contributes to the collateral damage of the pandemic.
I'm not in that area myself but there will be other alternatives, the whole country has a telephone consultation system which will then refer you to where you need to be rather than having an in-person consultation in the A&E which will then admit you to wherever in the hospital. The last time we used that phone system... we were refured to A&E haha, but in that area that will be taken into account. There are also satellite "walk-in" centers in many places which are lower level A&E like if you pull a tendon etc you can go in for a check up so I don't expect that area to be without assistance.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 6th of November:

- World: 49,100,320 confirmed cases and 1,239,601 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 49 million cases, we saw 48 million cases yesterday meaning... 1 million cases... in 1 day...

- France: Sees record high new daily cases, over 2,000 more than previous record.

- Italy: Sees record high new daily cases.

- US: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Russia: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Portugal: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Sweden: Sees record high new daily cases.

- UK: Strong take up of COVID tests in Liverpool as the city starts it's attempt to test everyone living or working there. Despite heavy evidence of mass testing in cities being a success elsewhere in the world, critics with no friends who are probably part of ADI org, warn knowing exactly who is carrying the contagion and getting them to isolate until they have cleared themselves of COVID without passing it on to anyone else, could "do more harm than good".

- Singapore: First "Cruise to nowhere" sets sail, the voyage taking holiday makers up and down the coast to bring them back to port a few days later without actually going anywhere tangible.

- UK: Students at Manchester University topple barricades as the university erects £11,000 worth of fences described as "prison-like" around a student accommodation site.

- Austria: Health Minister warns hospitals could be full in just two weeks following sharp rise in cases and hospitalizations.

- UK: Anti-Lockdown protests in London see 190 people arrested for breaking lockdown restrictions.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I don’t think anyone is cocky about dead people, let’s keep politics out of this thread - it doesn’t help at this point in time.
Disclaimer... I am sober.

So, you know what really pisses me off about this thread? No, its I am not a denier. It is that many of the people on this thread only give a fuck about themselves. If this virus did not affect them, then they would not be on this thread (besides Jolly who I think is genuine from a science perspective). Just like all the productive threads on world hunger that I see everyone here posting about - NOT (Borat). So, I am sure all you folks donate to charity, deliver food for the food bank right... I would venture to say, no, you don't. The only reason you care about this virus is because YOU are now in the crosshairs... not some poor child in South America or Africa.

If you want to clear your conscious... donate to people who really need it.

St. Jude's (child cancer) - they are an awesome organization that treats children with disabilities
For world hunger/poverty - I just googled this for you -- https://borgenproject.org/10-charities-fight-poverty/
Disease - https://www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do/Global-Health/Neglected-Tropical-Diseases

So, stop telling everyone you care so much with your platitudes and actually make a fucking difference.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Oh...kay....

So yeah...

Dude on my show initially tested positive (turned out to be a false positive). Production ended up shutting down for a day as everyone freaked out for a bit. I think the producers were more freaked out then we were ("We can't make TV like this!!11) as they were worried about a potential outbreak. As we work in tight spaces and cannot really social distance, it's made for some interesting situations lol. Anyway mass testing of the crew resulted in no positive cases and we're back at work albeit with increased PPE and safety procedures. Fingers crossed we don't get shut down again.

Yours truly has been tested about 20 times to date already haha. Colleagues and I have come up with cheeky euphemisms like 'I'm going for a sniff', 'Getting my nose tickled', and 'Yeah just had my nose job' to describe our tests. Still receiving stickers from cute nurses after each test.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
<snip>

So, you know what really pisses me off about this thread? No, its I am not a denier. It is that many of the people on this thread only give a fuck about themselves.
</snip>
I am convinced that about 80% of what you see and write about takes place only in your head, and has no logical basis in reality. (And I'm not fully confident about the remaining 20%, tbh).

I would not be writing in this thread if I wasn't trying to convince people of the seriousness of COVID-19, and urging them to take active steps. The fact that you and others have politicized this whole topic means I have been extra careful to just present unedited facts, and hope that people can draw the appropriate conclusions.

And questioning the integrity of everybody else on this thread is beyond silly...it is just plain bonkers, and wrong.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 7th of November:

- World: 49,496,309 confirmed cases and 1,245,588 confirmed deaths.

- UK: Journalists discover people are being refused home COVID tests if they have poor credit history.

- US: White House chief of staff tests positive for COVID-19.

- Poland: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Iran: Sees record high new daily cases.

- Austria: Sees record high new daily cases.

- US: Sees record high new daily cases. States seeing record highs included Illinois, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota and Utah.

- Slovakia: Continues Population Testing with a further half a million tested by lunch time with 3,677 positive results so far.

- UK: Liverpool City population testing continues, with 12,000 tests on the first day.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

So, you know what really pisses me off about this thread? No, its I am not a denier. It is that many of the people on this thread only give a fuck about themselves. If this virus did not affect them, then they would not be on this thread (besides Jolly who I think is genuine from a science perspective). Just like all the productive threads on world hunger that I see everyone here posting about - NOT (Borat). So, I am sure all you folks donate to charity, deliver food for the food bank right... I would venture to say, no, you don't. The only reason you care about this virus is because YOU are now in the crosshairs... not some poor child in South America or Africa.

St. Jude's (child cancer) - they are an awesome organization that treats children with disabilities
For world hunger/poverty - I just googled this for you -- https://borgenproject.org/10-charities-fight-poverty/
Disease - https://www.gatesfoundation.org/What-We-Do/Global-Health/Neglected-Tropical-Diseases

So, stop telling everyone you care so much with your platitudes and actually make a fucking difference.
@August I would like to challenge you to a debate on Guilded regarding this topic. @NaffNaffBobFace (aka NuffNaff) as the moderator with @Bambooza and @Montoya as the content advisors. I think it would interesting to discuss.
Hello @ColdDog .

How are you feeling?

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
UK: Strong take up of COVID tests in Liverpool as the city starts it's attempt to test everyone living or working there. Despite heavy evidence of mass testing in cities being a success elsewhere in the world, critics with no friends who are probably part of ADI org, warn knowing exactly who is carrying the contagion and getting them to isolate until they have cleared themselves of COVID without passing it on to anyone else, could "do more harm than good".
I work in this area a lot, you can bet your ass people will not want to do this if it has the potential of them not being in work. They would rather be asymptomatic and not know that asymptomatic and find out.

Right or wrong, i see this being a hurdle

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla

I do donate to charity, i have regular direct debits that go out monthly for this.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I work in this area a lot, you can bet your ass people will not want to do this if it has the potential of them not being in work. They would rather be asymptomatic and not know that asymptomatic and find out.

Right or wrong, i see this being a hurdle
That's a thing, I know the 80% Furlough payments have been continued to March, but has the £500 support payment for those who would not be able to work under a quarantine order? If it has, it might not cover all of a persons wage, but it would go a fair way to nullifying the above reaction from the public - or a guarantee Furlough would be granted should someone test positive...

Take away the justification not to do it, and people won't have an excuse not to 🙂

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Here in Vic we’re now at 8 days with no positive test results and later today we will hopefully be hearing about the next stage of reopening.

This has been really hard on business and I don’t think there’s a clear picture of what the true cost of lockdown has been. This is the most concerning part of the entire ordeal, that the cure may be worse than the disease.

Admittedly that’s said from the point of view of someone who hasn’t been personally impacted by people dying of it, or being struck down by it.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I feel great... How about you?
Good to hear you're feeling great 🙂

I just wanted to let you know that if you weren't, that's okay.

It's okay to be confused. it's okay to be disappointed. It's okay to be, angry, upset, worried... even scared.

It's okay. Okay?

I know I live on a different planet. Like I said, if there was not a target on "your" - as in rich spoiled nations - privilaged back, you wouldn't give a fuck. I will stand by my statement.
Again, as previously stated, I don't think anyone is going to argue with what is pretty much a statement of fact 🙂

Did the UK give a damn during the Swine Flu pandemic that happened in 2009? Nope not really, because it didn't come here to any large degree and if it did it was contained and had so minimal an impact no one really noticed it although it killed 280,000 globally... Why give a damn if the flaming fudge bag is burning on the doorstep of a house in the next town over?

If you are talking about inter-country relations...

Yes, another Truism - although it may not be dependent as purely and as simply as being on privilege - previous foreign policy between countries seems to play a huge part in current grievances the world over... I live in the UK - unlike the US which didn't have a terrorist incident that wasn't domestic in nature like the UnaBomber until 2001 (until that point frequently boasting there had never been a direct attack on the mainland of the country with the nearest being Pearl Harbor), the UK'd been the crosshairs on high-streets up and down the country since the 1960's with Terrorist bombings occurring, and risking occurring, all the way to 1998 and the Good Friday Agreement which was the official end of The Troubles but did continue with isolated incidents up to 2001.

For literally the first half of my life going down the shops or out for a pint carried the risk of dying in an explosion. Public waste bins (trash cans?) were not a thing in my childhood because it was too easy for devices to be dumped in them, timed to go off later in the day when more people were around. We didn't hang around randomly parked cars as a few of them had a habit of randomly exploding.

I'm not going to say this made me "used" to it, how could one ever be used to that kind of thing? I am going to say, being able to count the loss of innocents in their many thousands on both sides of the ideology in that span in history, this isn't exactly news to me or many other people. The above as an example is telling, though. It wasn't the decades long campaign of indiscriminate death which resolved it - it was all parties meeting and working it out together, long may the peace continue.

If it's new for you... it's okay to be confused. It's okay to be worried... even scared. What the place you live in has done to others in the past to cause animosity likely was nothing to do with you - you may not even have been alive when it all began, and you almost definitely didn't have a hand in causing it, what came afterwards or how it is currently being handled good or bad. It's okay to feel out of control of the situation, because you are not in control of it - and you never were.

Back to COVID:

- UK: The Greater Manchester area hospitals system suspends non-urgent treatment, as virus admissions raise by 64 people in one week.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 8th of November:

- World: 50,052,204 confirmed cases and 1,253,110 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 50 million confirmed cases. We passed 49 million on Friday meaning 1 million cases in the last 2/3 days.

- World: October worst month for the Pandemic to this point, with the thirty days of that month accounting for one quarter of the total cases so far.

- US: Sees record high new daily cases.

- UK: Central Government performs U-turn, honoring Footballer and former impoverished child Marcus Rashfords campaign to feed children through the Pandemic crisis, earmarking £400 million to support poor families to be distributed via local councils, a move which Marcus estimates will help 1.7 million children. "Following the [football] game today, I had a good conversation with the prime minister to better understand the proposed plan, and I very much welcome the steps that have been taken to combat child food poverty in the UK." ... "The intent the government have shown today is nothing but positive and they should be recognised for that. [...] "The steps made today will improve the lives of near 1.7 million children in the UK over the next 12 months, and that can only be celebrated."

- Sweden: COVID cases identified in animals on mink farms, no mutations discovered as yet.

- Wales: COVID infections level off as "Fire break" circuit breaker lockdown reaches the last day of it's 17 day run. The authorities indicate they will not see the full extent of the effect of the action for another two weeks and urge the population to remain vigilant and obey the social distancing rules and other restrictions which remain in place.

- Iran: Sees record high daily deaths.

- UK: The Greater Manchester area hospitals system suspends non-urgent treatment, as virus admissions raise by 64 people in one week. It has been suggested the extended talks over funding for the area, which delayed its Tier 3 lockdown, may partially account for the spike in critically ill patients - however it has been pointed out as the Manchester Leaders were only asking for what was rolled out across the country with the extension of the Furlough 80% Wage Coverage Scheme only weeks later, the Central was likely moving in that direction anyway and could have cut the delay short at any time it liked...?

- Australia: Victoria area to continue relaxation of restrictions as no new cases discovered for 9 days in a row while New South Wales has no community transmission but is investigating a cluster in the Southern Highlands area.

- UK: Defense Chief indicates planet at greater risk of World War III due to economic fallout of the COVID pandemic. “We have to remember that history might not repeat itself but it has a rhythm and if you look back at the last century, before both world wars, I think it was unarguable that there was escalation which led to the miscalculation which ultimately led to war at a scale we would hopefully never see again,” When asked if that meant there was a real threat, he responded “I’m saying it’s a risk and we need to be conscious of those risks"

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Second wave hitting Canada hard.

British Columbia after months of keeping Covid at bay is now dropping the ball. We had 589 cases on Friday. This new wave is largely local community infections with younger folks to blame.

I was at the bowling alley (Yours truly was one pin from bowling a Turkey) with the lady friend, my old roommate, and his lady friend. We all wore masks and stayed within our lane/booth. Looked over and saw a group of like a dozen guys doing their thing with nobody in that group wearing masks.

Yeah it's worrying. I don't understand why our local government hasn't mandated a mandatory indoor mask policy yet.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Yeah it's worrying. I don't understand why our local government hasn't mandated a mandatory indoor mask policy yet.
I went to Staples yesterday, big sign on the door that masks are mandatory. Inside there is a box with masks if you dont have one.

Seems to me that most public places have taken steps already, its just not the law.

Forgot your password?