Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Schools to remain open in Australia (and Singapore) barring developments which require that position to change.

AU Gov. expects spread limitation measures to be in place for at least 6 months - taking kids out of school for half a year does a significant amount of harm.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Looks like spring break here might be a bit longer than expected:

"The B.C. government has announced kindergarten to Grade 12 classes in the province are suspended indefinitely amid the coronavirus pandemic. "
About time. Ontario cancelled all school last week for the end of Spring Break (this week), and declared a state of emergency today to slow the spread. Alberta and BC have followed suite on the SoE. Smart. So smart. Get ahead of this thing, before we become Italy / Spain.
There is an entire generation of investors and traders who have never seen a bear market.

This is not the financial crash of 2008 where all we had to do was bail out the banks.

This time around its not going to be a V-bottom.

Even if you miss the absolute bottom, there will be plenty of time to add to positions on the way up when we get to the other side of this.
So . . .leave the long term investments? Sorry, you're speaking latin to me here, lol.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So . . .leave the long term investments? Sorry, you're speaking latin to me here, lol.
If you are already long, I cant tell you that selling down here will be a great idea because everything will drop more, but I can tell you that things will be better in a year from now.

Add to the companies that will pull out of this, like AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, AMZN. Dont try pick an exact bottom, it will be elusive, just add to positions over the next few months.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Well, no matter the result of the election, it looks like Bernie Sanders won! Our President is proposing to give each adult $1000! Is this the start of a Universal Basic Income?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
If you are already long, I cant tell you that selling down here will be a great idea because everything will drop more, but I can tell you that things will be better in a year from now.

Add to the companies that will pull out of this, like AAPL, MSFT, GOOG, AMZN. Dont try pick an exact bottom, it will be elusive, just add to positions over the next few months.
Alright. Sitting put. I ain't panicking. Thanks boss. You just validated my financial adviser's advice. That makes her extra smrt.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Saw my first face-mask'd person last night in the local shop. They were buying several packets of Laundry Pods and they advised the lady behind the counter a local family were all sick and were "dying of it".

The counter lady (being a point of local information and knowledge) just sighed and said "They've got colds - Corona is way worse than what they've got".

In other news, UK announces £350 billion financial support to ensure companies don't go tits up.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I think...
Covid-19 is zoonotic in origin. That means it was active in animals before it was transmitted to humans. There has as far as evidence has found so far been no genetic engineering. The evidence points towards it being transmitted to a person from one of the live animal markets in Wuhan, naturally animal to human, not a lab.

Beyond that and locating the original animal source, it doesn't matter a flying fudge how/who was involved in it starting. Right now the important thing is how we as a global population respond to and pull down this new pathogen.

The only thing pointing fingers and making unsubstantiated claims does is effect the global populations ability to deal with the crisis because fear and mistrust slows responses and crumbles cooperation. If you blame the town twice over of setting a fire to your hey barn, how likely are they to come help douse the flames if it reaches the steel-mill 90% of your town work at?

People are being beaten in the streets just because of their appearance and fear of what is unknown and what, right now, cannot be known. Don't be the guy that climbs to the second story of a house to get a better look at how the Tornado started when he should be helping everyone else in the family batten down the hatches and getting into the cellar.

There will be time for theories later. Right now help, don't hinder.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Covid-19 is zoonotic in origin. That means it was active in animals before it was transmitted to humans. There has as far as evidence has found so far been no genetic engineering. The evidence points towards it being transmitted to a person from one of the live animal markets in Wuhan, naturally animal to human, not a lab.

Beyond that and locating the original animal source, it doesn't matter a flying fudge how/who was involved in it starting. Right now the important thing is how we as a global population respond to and pull down this new pathogen.

The only thing pointing fingers and making unsubstantiated claims does is effect the global populations ability to deal with the crisis because fear and mistrust slows responses and crumbles cooperation. If you blame the town twice over of setting a fire to your hey barn, how likely are they to come help douse the flames if it reaches the steel-mill 90% of your town work at?

People are being beaten in the streets just because of their appearance and fear of what is unknown and what, right now, cannot be known. Don't be the guy that climbs to the second story of a house to get a better look at how the Tornado started when he should be helping everyone else in the family batten down the hatches and getting into the cellar.

There will be time for theories later. Right now help, don't hinder.
This. Thank You.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Ive had the pleasure of living through a few major crashes in my time.

The dotcom bubble in 2000, the financial crash of 2008 and now this one.

Each time it seems like the end of the world, but these black swans offer buying opportunities we do not see very often.

If you have never been invested in the markets before, this summer is your rare opportunity to get in on a panic that happens once a decade.

Forgot your password?