Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Starscribe

Grand Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe
Covid-19 is zoonotic in origin. That means it was active in animals before it was transmitted to humans. There has as far as evidence has found so far been no genetic engineering. The evidence points towards it being transmitted to a person from one of the live animal markets in Wuhan, naturally animal to human, not a lab.

Beyond that and locating the original animal source, it doesn't matter a flying fudge how/who was involved in it starting. Right now the important thing is how we as a global population respond to and pull down this new pathogen.

The only thing pointing fingers and making unsubstantiated claims does is effect the global populations ability to deal with the crisis because fear and mistrust slows responses and crumbles cooperation. If you blame the town twice over of setting a fire to your hey barn, how likely are they to come help douse the flames if it reaches the steel-mill 90% of your town work at?

People are being beaten in the streets just because of their appearance and fear of what is unknown and what, right now, cannot be known. Don't be the guy that climbs to the second story of a house to get a better look at how the Tornado started when he should be helping everyone else in the family batten down the hatches and getting into the cellar.

There will be time for theories later. Right now help, don't hinder.
Glad you said this. Now I don't have to. Bravo.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK fatalities now 104 with 2626 confirmed cases.

Schools finally partially closing from Friday - they have been advised to still accept children from key workers such as medical staff to reduce impact on emergency services. Some have already closed in my area and I know of at least one only able to take half the year-groups in the school due to lack of staff able to attend.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Just out of curiosity and as a just in case measure, I called the Florida Department of Health certification office to see if they made any exceptions to reinstate expired EMT licenses, but so far nothing and they say they dont forsee it. I think he said it only goes back a couple months for extensions.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Just out of curiosity and as a just in case measure, I called the Florida Department of Health certification office to see if they made any exceptions to reinstate expired EMT licenses, but so far nothing and they say they dont forsee it. I think he said it only goes back a couple months for extensions.
Oh yeah? Try again in two weeks, I suspect the answer will be different.

The age demographics in Florida will turn it into Northen Italy pretty fast.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Oh yeah? Try again in two weeks, I suspect the answer will be different.

The age demographics in Florida will turn it into Northen Italy pretty fast.
My thoughts exactly. The dude I talked to didnt seem like he was taking this seriously or willing to help me out. It was very monotone straight to the point.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Ive had the pleasure of living through a few major crashes in my time.

The dotcom bubble in 2000, the financial crash of 2008 and now this one.

Each time it seems like the end of the world, but these black swans offer buying opportunities we do not see very often.

If you have never been invested in the markets before, this summer is your rare opportunity to get in on a panic that happens once a decade.

So very true. Just remember to see the opportunity you will need to sit on those stocks for a couple of years but the pay off will be huge. Stocks that would be a risky bet are any of the service industries and travel-related as they are going to be hit hard with a high risk of bankruptcy. Just check out which companies have had to shut their doors as they will be at the biggest risk.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Itally is rushing out 10,000 med students without taking their final exams, just to shore up the workforce.
Even when I was just an EMT, the docs would let me stitch people up, and perform cricothyroidotomy's as long as it was under their supervision. All EMT's work under the directive of a medical director for whatever agency they work for so maybe we can work that way. Who knows. I can definitely see getting hired or volunteering for one position and having moments of fuck it where I can go intubate someone or something. I doubt anyone would question it until after the fact. Would you care if you had an EMT doing everything possible to help during this crisis when workers start dropping out because of the virus? I just cant see it. Obviously I can't be reckless, but I obviously cant say "im not allowed to do that"

EDIT: It's like riding a bicycle. They drill the training into you and with the amount of experience, its with me for life.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
View: https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240333813806436352

Also during a press conference earlier Trump announced he is enacting the Defense Production Act. He mentioned that during the second world war we were pumping out ships at an incomprehensible rate, with people sleeping in the factories working round the clock, and how we had our countries teenagers rushing to help their country. If we were watching this back in the Day on a CRT TV it would hold more weight. If world leaders are mentioning conditions close to the second world war, it just puts it into perspective. Its so difficult to understand because we dont see bombs dropping on anyone, or households being drafted for any of this. It was an event that has been dramatized so much, some could forget it was a reality.

I know I can be dramatic, but im torn between saying hey, look at the objective information in front of you and, well theres not much we can do but wait it out and take the punches as they come.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Covid-19 is zoonotic in origin. That means it was active in animals before it was transmitted to humans. There has as far as evidence has found so far been no genetic engineering. The evidence points towards it being transmitted to a person from one of the live animal markets in Wuhan, naturally animal to human, not a lab.

Beyond that and locating the original animal source, it doesn't matter a flying fudge how/who was involved in it starting. Right now the important thing is how we as a global population respond to and pull down this new pathogen.

The only thing pointing fingers and making unsubstantiated claims does is effect the global populations ability to deal with the crisis because fear and mistrust slows responses and crumbles cooperation. If you blame the town twice over of setting a fire to your hey barn, how likely are they to come help douse the flames if it reaches the steel-mill 90% of your town work at?

People are being beaten in the streets just because of their appearance and fear of what is unknown and what, right now, cannot be known. Don't be the guy that climbs to the second story of a house to get a better look at how the Tornado started when he should be helping everyone else in the family batten down the hatches and getting into the cellar.

There will be time for theories later. Right now help, don't hinder.
Right there with ya. https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucelee/2020/03/17/covid-19-coronavirus-did-not-come-from-a-lab-study-shows-natural-origins/

diskawrs

Captain
Feb 13, 2020
RSI Handle
diskawrs
Well, no matter the result of the election, it looks like Bernie Sanders won! Our President is proposing to give each adult $1000! Is this the start of a Universal Basic Income?
The irony of it all huh. It is wrong when He and Ron says it but all good if Trump Mr Capital of them all says it, it's ok. Politics meh.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Forgot your password?