Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Well, this is interesting!
Not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I think if you stop trying to force people to do something there would not be so much backlash against preventative measures, as people are not much better than 4-year-olds who don't like being told what to do and will do everything in their power to resist the authoritarians even if it goes against what they want to do. On the other hand, publicizing and providing science-backed information is generally a net positive as it helps keep everyone informed so that they can hopefully make educated decisions.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
A couple thoughts pop in my head.
1 This sucks and we need a new vaccine.
2 Needing another vaccine sounds quite profitable.

I can’t rationalize pharma companies having anything to do with the efficacy against a new variant, but from their point of view I can’t help but see dollar signs.

3 I hope this really isn’t as bad as delta
4 This is an endemic

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
A couple thoughts pop in my head.
1 This sucks and we need a new vaccine.
2 Needing another vaccine sounds quite profitable.

I can’t rationalize pharma companies having anything to do with the efficacy against a new variant, but from their point of view I can’t help but see dollar signs.

3 I hope this really isn’t as bad as delta
4 This is an endemic
Well, wait a minute...reading further in that article:
Among the Omicron cases, 25 were in people aged 18 to 39 and 14 had traveled internationally. Six people had previously been infected with the coronavirus.

Most of them only had mild symptoms such as coughing, congestion, and fatigue, the report said, and one person was hospitalized for two days.
Honestly, not to be critical of the "younger generation" this sounds a lot like a group of people who didn't really think they were at risk, and so likely were not as cautious about mask wearing and other preventive measures...

Again, the purpose of the vaccine is not only to help prevent, but to help ensure that if you do catch it, it is milder.

I've heard various things about the Omicron variant; it will be nice if it is more highly transmissible but less severe. In that case, yes, it is well on its way to becoming endemic, which is what we have been expecting all along.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
The first omicron case discovered in Florida was at the Tampa bay VA hospital that I use. I've said this before but I asked about the booster as I had my first dose of the vaccine in March. The VA told me I don't need it. I didn't ask why, as it was just very nonchalant. This was before the Omicron discovery though. I first went and got my shot when the VA sent me a text message to do so, so I'm waiting to see if I get another text for the booster.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
The first omicron case discovered in Florida was at the Tampa bay VA hospital that I use. I've said this before but I asked about the booster as I had my first dose of the vaccine in March. The VA told me I don't need it. I didn't ask why, as it was just very nonchalant. This was before the Omicron discovery though. I first went and got my shot when the VA sent me a text message to do so, so I'm waiting to see if I get another text for the booster.
The Prime Minister went on TV at 8pm last night with short notice and told the country that we were ramping up to 1 million boosters a day. The health service had today and has tomorrow and then it's hit the ground running, apparently the Army is being drafted in. Big times, we'll see if it is pearls before swine when the Omicron analysis data is in.

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
The Prime Minister went on TV at 8pm last night with short notice and told the country that we were ramping up to 1 million boosters a day. The health service had today and has tomorrow and then it's hit the ground running, apparently the Army is being drafted in. Big times, we'll see if it is pearls before swine when the Omicron analysis data is in.
Yeah man. I still have the same bad gut feeling about this. I didn't feel that way with the delta variant, but I don't think I really started paying attention to it until we had all the data. It's the uncertainty thats getting to me, and that we know this does seem to spread faster than delta.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Yeah man. I still have the same bad gut feeling about this. I didn't feel that way with the delta variant, but I don't think I really started paying attention to it until we had all the data. It's the uncertainty thats getting to me, and that we know this does seem to spread faster than delta.
It's nice to see a precaution is being taken ahead of time instead of when it's too late to do anything about it which has been the playbook to this point for the UK.

The indication seems to be we were in a pretty ropey position with about 50k new cases a day but the transmission rate of Omicron doubling every two days through the vaccinated population was suggested to be heading for stupid numbers a day.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Announcing a deal with Moderna and the Victorian government that will see a new manufacturing facility built in Melbourne by as early as 2024, Morrison said the country’s high vaccination rate meant Australia could “continue to move forward”.

“We’re not letting Omicron take us back,” Morrison said.
“We’ve decided as a country to live with this virus and Australians have worked so hard for that.
“Australia can now open up. This Christmas we’re about to have is a gift Australians have given to themselves by the way they’ve worked together with the settings that we’ve put in place.”

This right here doesn't really make sense to me. They had the harshest lockdowns in the world, now theyre easing them citing their high vaccination rate even though Omicron is known to infect the already vaccinated. Does that sound right to you? They mention the moderna plant that will be done in 2024 as a reason theyre lifting restrictions and "accepting that they are going to live with the virus", but thats 2024.

The government is refusing to say how much it is paying the pharmaceutical giant, saying the details are commercial in confidence.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
This right here doesn't really make sense to me. They had the harshest lockdowns in the world, now theyre easing them citing their high vaccination rate even though Omicron is known to infect the already vaccinated. Does that sound right to you? They mention the moderna plant that will be done in 2024 as a reason theyre lifting restrictions and "accepting that they are going to live with the virus", but thats 2024.
If I were being cynical I'd ponder thusly: "Gotta have a local demand for the plant to feed, perhaps?"

It's going to be interesting to watch that situation...

FZD

Space Marshal
Nov 22, 2016
RSI Handle
FZD
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I'm still glad I didn't invest in, say, Pfizer some, let's say 20 years ago. Sure they're making good money RIGHT NOW, but Pharma industry is entirely hit and miss. A pharma company might make one successful medicine, then go bankrupt researching the next. Pfizer stock was $30-45 between 1998 and 2004 thanks to some breakthrough they made, then went downhill for a while, started slow recovery and had a nice spurt this year, atm being $55. $40 to $55 in 20 years is pretty terrible stock development, but at least they're not bankrupt.

Forgot your password?