Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I saw certain media groups/people saying that Sweden was an example of how you could control COVID-19 without having any closures or social distancing measures...I've been following their data now for over a week, and two things seem apparent:
i) their data collection/data entry team seems to take the weekend off, and
ii) their cases keep going up.

It looks to me like they do NOT have it in control, and that it is getting worse:

Screen Shot 2020-04-23 at 8.30.46 PM.png

See the website for Sweden at:

The home page for their tracking COVID-19 is great, you can look at any country and get even more details:

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Having not learned from suggesting on Twitter that hydroxychloroquine was a treatment for COVID-19 resulting in the death of more than one person having taken non-medical forms (https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/03/23/man-dead-from-taking-chloroquine-after-trump-touts-drug-for-coronavirus/#30558d8772e9) and having finally been proven incorrect in clinical trials, Mr. Trump, leader of the free world, has now theory-crafted to the world that treating the lungs internally with disinfectant or high power UV light may kill Coronavirus.

Disinfectant manufacturers immediately release statements not to take disinfectants internally.

Scientists also suggest once the virus is inside and replicating in the cells UV cannot do much to penetrate and kill the virus although this at least would need to be tested to see if there is a possible benefit:

Outside of Mr. Trump, I've also heared that bullets also kill Coronavirus but have the unfortunate side effect of, in most cases, killing the host too. I think some clinical trials are still to take place to check the viability of that treatment, though.

Strange strange days indeed.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Having not learned from suggesting on Twitter that hydroxychloroquine was a treatment for COVID-19 resulting in the death of more than one person having taken non-medical forms (https://www.forbes.com/sites/tarahaelle/2020/03/23/man-dead-from-taking-chloroquine-after-trump-touts-drug-for-coronavirus/#30558d8772e9) and having finally been proven incorrect in clinical trials, Mr. Trump, leader of the free world, has now theory-crafted to the world that treating the lungs internally with disinfectant or high power UV light may kill Coronavirus.

Outside of Mr. Trump, I've also heared that bullets also kill Coronavirus but have the unfortunate side effect of, in most cases, killing the host too. I think some clinical trials are still to take place to check the viability of that treatment, though.

Strange strange days indeed.
It is amazing how many of our medical treatments work on similar principles of hoping the patient can hang on longer than the infection while poisoning, shotgun blasting, burning up, or physically removing large parts. In some ways, our medical industry is not much better than witch doctors and homeopathic remedies even to the point of relying on the suggestive power of placebos. And in some ways, medical TV dramas might be exasperating the situation. How many shows show someone going into cardiac arrest (not cardiac arrhythmia) and being zapped with paddles and sometimes injected with Epinephrine and the patient making a full recovery? When in truth those whose heart stop have a 22 percent chance of being successfully resuscitated and surviving to discharge, of those most will suffer some sort of neurological impairment.

As for President Trump's comments while it is true UV light and disinfectants work wonders on the virus they also work wonders on our cells. But I have also read reports of tests on animals that on the surface were far more out there.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Long story short...only a retard would suggest that you use a disinfectant (like Lysol) on your lungs.
Going back to my comments earlier on disinformation I had to check for myself to see what the context was of this injecting disinfectant claim, because after the "LOL trump thinks the virus was a hoax" comments which carry on to this day, I watched that rally in its entirety and its not what he said. I watched yesterdays briefing and he definitely didn't say he wanted to inject disinfectant but rather was questioning if we could have something that works like disinfectant. While a bit ambiguous and a poor choice of words, people are so pedantic when it comes to trying to spin anything against him. We've all been watching trump for almost 4 years. I can defend his speech and actions at times because im well aware of political spin, and I see it constantly towards him. I think trump is a saint compared to bush, and I never saw this level of spin towards him. Blows my mind.

I time marked the link where he starts to talk about UV and disinfectant.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I think the best part about hanks is his love for typewriters. Its unique. Hes a unique guy. Even if he wasnt an actor I would assume hed be just the same. Great actor. I was pretty pissed off however when I found out he was doing a Mr Rogers movie funded by tencent. I do not like how tencent is creeping into our media, games and movies and the like. It really worries me.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Going back to my comments earlier on disinformation I had to check for myself to see what the context was of this injecting disinfectant claim, because after the "LOL trump thinks the virus was a hoax" comments which carry on to this day, I watched that rally in its entirety and its not what he said. I watched yesterdays briefing and he definitely didn't say he wanted to inject disinfectant but rather was questioning if we could have something that works like disinfectant. While a bit ambiguous and a poor choice of words, people are so pedantic when it comes to trying to spin anything against him. We've all been watching trump for almost 4 years. I can defend his speech and actions at times because im well aware of political spin, and I see it constantly towards him. I think trump is a saint compared to bush, and I never saw this level of spin towards him. Blows my mind.

I time marked the link where he starts to talk about UV and disinfectant.

Sorry man, I disagree. Both myself and my partner (Clinical Nurse Instructor in charge of Covid19 education at her hospital) were watching the White House Briefing on the internet through the White House Portal (Not CNN, Fox, whatever) when he said that. We immediately spat out the tea we were drinking and said WTF. I've tried giving this President the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the crisis and he's just getting worse. All he has to do is just step aside and let Fauci and Brix (You know, the actual Doctors) handle this and we'll be a lot better for it. Instead his Pride and Ego can't let him not get the final word. In a crisis like this, a leader's every word matters. This is not the time for ambiguity and 'poor choice of words'. People shouldn't have to decipher what he's saying to 'get the real meaning of his words'. It's like reading Biblical Scripture where everyone leaves with something different, you CAN'T have that. Seriously, If he can't address the nation clearly, he needs to take a seat.

Over in Canada we have a certain politician called Doug Ford. He's the brother of the late Rob Ford (the infamous late Mayor of Toronto, aka Mayor Crackhead). He's in many ways our country's version of Trump. That said, during this crisis he's wisely stepped away from the limelight. He's acquiesced to everything the medical experts have said and deferred to them. His approval rating has actually gone up and I gotta say many people have had to rethink their opinion of him (myself included).

Hydroxichloriquine, Remdesivr, UV Light, and now injecting Disinfectant? At this point Trump's just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. It reeks of desperation and makes people panic more. How hard is it to just shut up and leave it to the Medical Experts?

Last edited:

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Sorry man, I disagree. Both myself and my partner (Clinical Nurse Instructor in charge of Covid19 education at her hospital) were watching the White House Briefing on the internet through the White House Portal (Not CNN, Fox, whatever) when he said that. We immediately spat out the tea we were drinking and said WTF. I've tried giving this President the benefit of the doubt at the beginning of the crisis and he's just getting worse. All he has to do is just step aside and let Fauci and Brix (You know, the actual Doctors) handle this and we'll be a lot better for it. Instead his Pride and Ego can't let him not get the final word. In a crisis like this, a leader's every word matters. This is not the time for ambiguity and 'poor choice of words'. People shouldn't have to decipher what he's saying and 'get the real meaning of his words'. If he can't address the nation clearly, he needs to take a seat.

Over in Canada we have a certain politician called Doug Ford. He's the brother of the late Rob Ford (the infamous late Mayor of Toronto, aka Mayor Crackhead). He's in many ways our country's version of Trump. That said, during this crisis he's wisely stepped away from the limelight. He's acquiesced to everything the medical experts have said and deferred to them. His approval rating has actually gone up and I gotta say many people have had to rethink their opinion of him (myself included).

Hydroxichloriquine, Remdesivr, UV Light, and now injecting Disinfectant? At this point Trump's just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks. It reeks of desperation and makes people panic more. How hard is it to just shut up and leave it to the Medical Experts?
Yeah I can agree with that. I just know that if he wasnt up there people would say the president is avoiding this all together and I'm sure you can maybe agree with that. He does have the doctors up there, he does say several times hes not a doctor, which youre right, doesnt mean shit because hes exactly that, not a doctor. Theres an election coming up and unfortunately politicians gonna politic. I don't see what fox or CNN or any specific news outlet have to do with it though. If its unedited, its unedited.

I do not fault anyone for hating the guy for how he talks, his character, how he presents himself, his policies, etc. LOTS of republicans feel the same way contrary to popular belief. Tucker carlson on fox did a segment on Trumps constant lies or embelishments and exaggerations saying hes something akin to a car salesman, people knew this before he even became president. People aren't dumb, they just value different things in a president. I however do not hang on a politicians every word during a crisis. I didnt do it with bush and 9/11 or Obama with the financial crash.

When Trump started doing these briefings and the reporters started calling him out on these what ifs and optimistic suggestions he plainly said hes just a cheerleader for america, and that hes there with the real experts. After that I knew not to take anything he says as sound advice but to just assume hes presenting ideas the government may be exploring, because when hes done talking, the real experts are there to give you the actual details. They even interrupt him and correct him and he hasnt seemed like he has an issue with that. An administrator or CEO isn't the one who knows everything but knows the people that do. Its unfortunate that we don't have someone more articulate up there, but I believe the outcry would be the same. Way early on I was having a discussion with someone about how the president, republican or democrat is the one all the shit falls on and the person everyone can place the blame on for everything. Theyre right. He's at the top of the countries power hierarchy.

I'll tell you why I like countering the criticism of trump though. I have a choice of spending 4 years being upset or 4 years not being upset. The psychology behind people constantly insulting trump, day after day, week after week is pretty interesting. Ill even link to something I find interesting about trump's behavior and those that adamantly defend his actions. If I find the other studies of those that constantly insult him I'll link that as well.

At the end of the day, we will never be happy with any leader standing up there who isn't a doctor or economist, or any leader who doesn't get up there every day to address the nation.

Edit:

Not necessarily a study, but a start to what I'm getting at with the constant anger towards trump or the republicans towards democrats and vice versa.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Yeah I can agree with that. I just know that if he wasnt up there people would say the president is avoiding this all together and I'm sure you can maybe agree with that. He does have the doctors up there, he does say several times hes not a doctor, which youre right, doesnt mean shit because hes exactly that, not a doctor. Theres an election coming up and unfortunately politicians gonna politic. I don't see what fox or CNN or any specific news outlet have to do with it though. If its unedited, its unedited.

I do not fault anyone for hating the guy for how he talks, his character, how he presents himself, his policies, etc. LOTS of republicans feel the same way contrary to popular belief. Tucker carlson on fox did a segment on Trumps constant lies or embelishments and exaggerations saying hes something akin to a car salesman, people knew this before he even became president. People aren't dumb, they just value different things in a president. I however do not hang on a politicians every word during a crisis. I didnt do it with bush and 9/11 or Obama with the financial crash.

When Trump started doing these briefings and the reporters started calling him out on these what ifs and optimistic suggestions he plainly said hes just a cheerleader for america, and that hes there with the real experts. After that I knew not to take anything he says as sound advice but to just assume hes presenting ideas the government may be exploring, because when hes done talking, the real experts are there to give you the actual details. They even interrupt him and correct him and he hasnt seemed like he has an issue with that. An administrator or CEO isn't the one who knows everything but knows the people that do. Its unfortunate that we don't have someone more articulate up there, but I believe the outcry would be the same. Way early on I was having a discussion with someone about how the president, republican or democrat is the one all the shit falls on and the person everyone can place the blame on for everything. Theyre right. He's at the top of the countries power hierarchy.

I'll tell you why I like countering the criticism of trump though. I have a choice of spending 4 years being upset or 4 years not being upset. The psychology behind people constantly insulting trump, day after day, week after week is pretty interesting. Ill even link to something I find interesting about trump's behavior and those that adamantly defend his actions. If I find the other studies of those that constantly insult him I'll link that as well.

At the end of the day, we will never be happy with any leader standing up there who isn't a doctor or economist, or any leader who doesn't get up there every day to address the nation.

Edit:

Not necessarily a study, but a start to what I'm getting at with the constant anger towards trump or the republicans towards democrats and vice versa.
Yeah fair enough. I guess we'll just have to disagree on differing styles of leadership. I for one hope he's right though. Whether it's random drugs he's pushing or weird light therapies. Don't get me, wrong, I want him to be right so the cases and deaths drop.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers for today Friday 24th April:

Total confirmed cases 143,464 with 5,386 new. Total deaths 19,506 with 684 new, higher in both counts.

As already discovered the numbers are not accurate on the day, so I may as well be using the below chart as an excuse to make witty status updates rather than making an attempt to keep tabs on the reported numbers.

Incidentally, another weirdness today in relation to the number of deaths reported - yesterday there were 18738 in total and today 19506. that's a difference of 768, not 684 as officially indicated, with 120 are unaccounted for. The figures page advises there has been some historic tinkering but that only accounts for 84. 36 unaccounted for with that taken into account.

Chartorama24-04-20.jpg

It's worth noting todays current status is the first time a Status Outlook has become a Current Status.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
We’ve opened testing to anyone with symptoms so anticipate we see an increase in numbers over the next few weeks.

As at 3:00pm on 24 April 2020, there have been 6,675 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 14 new cases since 3:00pm yesterday.

Of the 6,675 confirmed cases in Australia, 78 have died and 5,136 have been reported as recovered from COVID-19.

1587757508966.png

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
The path for Australia to begin lifting restrictions has been defined.

• An increased capacity to test and a more extensive “sentinel testing” regime, which means testing rapidly and widely, including people who are asymptomatic, to understand just how widespread the virus is.
  • Contact tracing “lifted to an industrial capability”, in the words of the prime minister, to find and isolate all of the contacts of a known infection. A key part of this will be encouraging Australians to download to their phones a tracing app, currently in production, modelled on Singapore’s TraceTogether App, which uses bluetooth to alert users when they come into contact with a confirmed case.
  • Strengthened “local response capabilities” – essentially the ability to lock down hotspots where outbreaks occur, such as the one in north-west Tasmania this week. This will include multiple layers of government agencies, including, potentially, the military.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Long story short...only a retard would suggest that you use a disinfectant (like Lysol) on your lungs.
I finally got around to watching it and nowhere did I see him say something like Lysol or bleach.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHkzqejFKbM

Just asking if there was a way to use some sort of disinfectant as it kills the virus very quickly. While there is a class of Bactericidal antibiotics that kill bacteria internally and Antiseptics that work well externally it would be interesting if we found a way to have a Virusicidal cure. I just don't think its likely given virus cycle requires injecting their RNA into a cell to reproduce while bacteria is its own cell.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
We’ve opened testing to anyone with symptoms so anticipate we see an increase in numbers over the next few weeks.

As at 3:00pm on 24 April 2020, there have been 6,675 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Australia. There have been 14 new cases since 3:00pm yesterday.

Of the 6,675 confirmed cases in Australia, 78 have died and 5,136 have been reported as recovered from COVID-19.

View attachment 15581

Nice, very low death and infection rate. Would be nice to see what the infection rate is when they start testing everyone especially when they start antibody testing.

Forgot your password?