Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Indeed, we live in strange times....who would have thought The Onion would have predicted this, *a month ago!*

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Erm... Okay, Mr. Trump has now clarified he was being sarcastic about the internal disinfectant thing.

I might just have to sleep on that one as I fear I am too tired to make sense of that right now.
Yeah because it's normal for the President of the United States to be 'Sarcastic' in a time of unprecedented crisis the World hasn't seen in decades.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I might just have to sleep on that one as I fear I am too tired to make sense of that right now.
Ill save you the hassle.

Saying something inflammatory that does not go over very well, then getting blow back from not only the other party, but your own, will quickly result in the "It was just a joke!" defense.

By doing this, the person making the statement you did not like is able to remove the blame from themselves, and make you feel like you are the one that just does not get their wit. You are now the one that lacks a sense of humor and or intelligence to be able to know when something is a joke or not.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Ill save you the hassle.

Saying something inflammatory that does not go over very well, then getting blow back from not only the other party, but your own, will quickly result in the "It was just a joke!" defense.

By doing this, the person making the statement you did not like is able to remove the blame from themselves, and make you feel like you are the one that just does not get their wit. You are now the one that lacks a sense of humor and or intelligence to be able to know when something is a joke or not.
Yeah, it's the presidency as performance art...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Singapore (along with South Korea) was for awhile the model to follow with regards to handling Covid19

Lately they appear to be dealing with a Second Wave

Much of this is attributed to the city state's importing of foreign labour for it's construction industry. Might be an interesting case study to observe in regards to relaxation of social distancing measures and how outbreaks can happen easier in cramped living conditions.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
There’s no fucking way we’re going to visit the US in October.
You can visit! Australia just won't ever let you come back in...this is what you'll look like going back to Oz, can you blame them for not letting you back in?
Screen Shot 2020-04-24 at 9.11.48 PM.png

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
You can visit! Australia just won't ever let you come back in...this is what you'll look like going back to Oz, can you blame them for not letting you back in?
View attachment 15593
Where have I seen that picture before....?

Oh, yeah:

1587806401726.png

EDIT - Now with 100% more photoshop:

Sean of the COvid1.jpg

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Sweden's got a ways to go to catch up to the US...but they are picking up steam!
View attachment 15592

I would not look at their new cases(new cases can easily be swayed by a countries testing practices), I would instead look at the number dead and see if its higher or lower percentage of total population then other countries. In fact, if Sweden shows a similar daily death as other countries per 1000 people then I would suggest their idea of how to hand this pandemic was correct. So if you want to be honest about the virus effects on a countries population and judge their outcomes look to the number of deaths per 1000 people. Continue to use the infected rate to judge is pointless until everyone is tested continuously.

_111930449_deaths_per_day_sweden_23april-nc.png

Last edited:

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I would not look at their new cases(new cases can easily be swayed by a countries testing practices), I would instead look at the number dead and see if its higher or lower percentage of total population then other countries.
Well, that information is available:
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.14.45 AM.png

So, it looks to me like they aren't conducting a whole lot of tests...

If you look at their deaths, I'm not seeing a good trend:
Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 9.15.24 AM.png

TL;DR --> slicing the numbers various ways, Sweden doesn't look like they are doing so well right now.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
This is a good conversation that reflects how I feel about how the media covers the virus and Trump. His ego was mentioned in this thread earlier and this kinda brings up the point that the news is playing into that. While they have tunnel vision on Trump and anything that they can use to attack him (which I mean is understandable, call him out on his failures), I don't see them covering the faults elsewhere (relatively) in the government and I find that its IMPOSSIBLE that things are going perfect outside of "Trumps response", and so much so that they don't require investigative journalism. Theres more to our government and this crisis than just Trump.

Reactions: Vavrik

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I can't really link it here or anything, but if you get the time, go on twitter and search for "food bank". Thats something I've been looking at this morning. All I can say is damn. Just lines and lines of people in pictures / videos, articles about lack of funding and people visiting the foodbank for the first time in their lives among other things. This isn't going away anytime soon. The people laid off may not go back to work for a long while. It makes me sad.

Reactions: Bambooza
Forgot your password?