Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Update from this side of the world. It’s tenacious.

More cases in Victoria despite no lifting of restrictions - some are foreign arrivals who are in mandatory quarantine, some are related to a cluster in a meat processing facility, but some appear to be community transmission which are under investigation.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Needs repeating because I keep hearing the opposite several times a day from armchair experts:

View attachment 15786
And yet,

Which is having wider implications

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Here is something very interesting that many people may miss.

When you look at US total numbers, they include the NYC area which has been the major hotspot.

But what does the chart of new cases look like for the rest of America if you remove the NY numbers?

Well, its not declining yet!!!

View attachment 15785
My concern is that the Trump administration seems to think that we're over the hump (maybe New York is) already but we really aren't. Maybe he could only do so much in February, March, and April due to inaccurate/incomplete data. Fine I'll give him that. That being said, all the models are pointing towards the virus still trending up overall in the country. I really think opening up now will simply nullify what gains we've made in shutting down in the first place. All the lives lost and economic hardship would have been for naught.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
My concern is that the Trump administration seems to think that we're over the hump (maybe New York is) already but we really aren't. Maybe he could only do so much in February, March, and April due to inaccurate/incomplete data.
I do not think so, I am seeing Trump as saying we have to get back to work or our economy imploding with be much greater damage than the virus itself. We have to (Americans)... I am sure if it was prudent to say stay home (in your hole) until it has passed, that he would (easy road), then we all will be without jobs, food, and other necessities. I do not agree. Regardless of what you think as a man his legacy will be how the US, "AS A WHOLE" comes through this disaster. I know, many want him to be wrong at every turn, which is why we had RussiaRussiaRussia, Flynn, and countless other accusations that have not stuck and have wasted money and time. Throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks is not a strategy.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I do not think so, I am seeing Trump as saying we have to get back to work or our economy imploding with be much greater damage than the virus itself. We have to (Americans)... I am sure if it was prudent to say stay home (in your hole) until it has passed, that he would (easy road), then we all will be without jobs, food, and other necessities. I do not agree. Regardless of what you think as a man his legacy will be how the US, "AS A WHOLE" comes through this disaster. I know, many want him to be wrong at every turn, which is why we had RussiaRussiaRussia, Flynn, and countless other accusations that have not stuck and have wasted money and time. Throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks is not a strategy.
The issue here is that the US isn't an island, no matter how badly some may want the country to be.The US needs trade partners to maintain its position of economic dominance. When your traditional trading partners have their Covid19 cases trending down while yours is still climbing, that's a problem. You can stand on a podium and yell all you want to the heavens that 'America is now Open' but it won't do a lick of good because people still aren't coming. Countries will be reluctant to reestablish the same trade deals, tourists will be fearful of visiting, etc. etc. Unless of course your desire is to make the US an autarkic country that's 'self sufficient'. You know what other countries are 'self sufficient'? North Korea and Venezuela.

Let me tell you right now that kind of economic isolation is suicide. People will dump US treasury bonds in a heart beat. Countries will cease using the US dollar as a foreign reserve currency, folks will stop trading Oil in dollars, and the US Economy WILL collapse. Hyperinflation will set in and we'll all experience something worse than the Great Depression of the 1930s. This is not complex economics here, this is the financial order that we've all been operating under since 1971 (Post Bretton-Woods).

You need to understand that We (The rest of the World) want you guys to do well. I actually WANT Trump to pull through on this because so much is at stake. If he gets reelected because he does a good job in getting us out of this quagmire, more power to him. The industry I'm in for example is watching what's happening in the US nervously. We can't go really go back to work until there's some sort of normalcy and things are under control.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
In line:
The issue here is that the US isn't an island,
Yes it is, you want us to think we are not. If we were not holding "most" of the cards, then I would agree with you. Let China rule, and you can tell your kids how you made the right decision.

The US needs trade partners to maintain its position of economic dominance.
No, we do not, again let China take the reigns, without being provocative, we can lay waste to China, just like they can to us. Nukes are old school, the virus appears to be the new school. England thought we were a bunch of pussies too.

Let me tell you right now that kind of economic isolation is suicide.
Please don't threaten me or my country. In the end see who the West sides with US or China.

Love,
CD

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
In line:

Yes it is, you want us to think we are not. If we were not holding "most" of the cards, then I would agree with you. Let China rule, and you can tell your kids how you made the right decision.

No, we do not, again let China take the reigns, without being provocative, we can lay waste to China, just like they can to us. Nukes are old school, the virus appears to be the new school.

Please don't threaten me or my country. In the end see who the West sides with US or China.

Love,
CD
Nukes? China? Are we even on the same page here?

I'm talking about the ECONOMY....specifically the Global Economy and America's place in it. How do you think the US pays for everything? Quantitative Easing and other monetary policies. Policies that are impossible to continue if people stop trusting the US dollar (and the country that backs it) as a stable reserve currency.

Threaten the US? Dude..my partner is American, I have family members who are American, and my employer is American. Calm down.

Confused,
Aram

Last edited:

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I'm talking about the ECONOMY....specifically the Global Economy and America's place in it. How do you think the US pays for everything? Quantitative Easing and other monetary policies. Policies that are impossible to continue if people stop trusting the US dollar (and the country that backs it) as a stable reserve currency.
What you do not get is Americans would eat dirt before giving in (except democrats). Best case 1/2 of the population would fight and accept the battle the other 1/2 would side with the Chinese. Tell your Chinese masters that we are not for sale.

Pay for everything, you mean the UN and all the waste we pump into them every year, just for them to spit in our face. US will live, period, economy or not.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Pay for everything, you mean the UN and all the waste we pump into them every year, just for them to spit in our face. US will live, period, economy or not.
Pay as in pay for your military, social services, everything. Pay as in pay for your domestic expenses. The Federal revenue is less than the budget and the bills have to be paid. Where do you think the money for the $2 trillion Covid19 stimulus package comes from? How do you think that shortfall is addressed? The shortfall is addressed by the Federal Reserve issuing Bonds in other to make more money available. Who do you think buys these bonds (answer: Everyone). Christ..I feel like I'm teaching a 101 Macroeconomic class or something.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Love,
CD
Weird...
What you do not get is Americans would eat dirt before giving in (except democrats). Best case 1/2 of the population would fight and accept the battle the other 1/2 would side with the Chinese. Tell your Chinese masters that we are not for sale.

Weirder...

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
You understand economics, right? Who buys the most from Canada (especially beer and auto parts). US gets a cold and you (Canada) gets pneumonia as the saying goes.
I do. Better than some it would appear.

The US is our largest trading partner but we're hardly about to directly pay your country's expenses. Unless you're implying that we're to be extorted by force?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
The US is our largest trading partner but we're hardly about to directly pay your country's expenses. Unless you're implying that we're to be extorted by force?
Why China has a bad year coming, they have proven to not be a partner in the international community. Canada is dependent on the US success (you can deny that but its true - US is NOT dependent on Canada), but you can give yourself over to the Chinese if you want. Hey, its your business, America has never been deterred by threats unlike some other countries, we fight the battles we can win, and we can win most of them, even if they are a virus. @Radegast74 I am sorry to see that you value China more than the US. Maybe you could learn our (American) history better and be more informed with the grassroots (Please do not marginalize me).

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
It's so damn difficult though. My partner had a falling out with one of her brothers who's a big Trump supporter (They're all from rural Oregon). She's pissed that Trump was limiting PPE exports for awhile even though our economies are so intertwined. He couldn't understand that many of the Canadians who buy PPE in Canada also work in the US in fields like health care...That the PPE manufactured in the US often use Canadian sub components and raw materials. His attitude is very much America First, everyone else be damned. When she pulls out articles in support of her views, he pulls out stuff from Fox or worse...OANN. Between the two of them, there isn't any common ground when it comes to politics. Her mother has similar views as well. I remember her saying once that she trusts Trump more than the media. The concept of the fourth estate and having the press keep politicians accountable is alien to her. When the whole 'Bleachgate' thing happened, she blamed the whole thing on 'actors' or people trying to make the President look bad.

I told my partner it's best not to talk to her brother about politics. I've long given up on my end and when I see him we just talk about guns, video games, and movies. We get along just fine.
My father is the very much the same.... there is no middle ground with him he is extremely anti trump. Me on the other hand im not on either side of the fence with him and i for the most part stay out of politics. I see good stuff he does i see bad stuff he does but we also have to remember he doesnt always make all the decisions hes just one man in our entire government and its easier to point at one person and say you freaken suck instead of our entire system and say system you are failing us as a people.

Forgot your password?