Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
I agree, but hind sight is 20/20... he made the best decision he could with the data he had...
COVER-UP!
In his whistleblower complaint, Bright says he raised concerns about US preparedness for coronavirus starting in January but was met with "indifference which then developed into hostility" by leaders at the Department of Health and Human Services.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
COVER-UP!
Things are difficult in the US right now. We have the FBI attacking citizenry and so called "deep state" agents from Obama admin, trying to make this president fail at every opportunity. This discussion needs to stop here, or I am going to get in trouble.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
UK numbers for today 5th May:

Total confirmed 194,990 with 4,406 new, total dead 29,427 with 693 new (403 hospital, 693 all settings so looks like they have fixed that oddity?)

Chartorama05-05-20.jpg

Todays status and outlook is bought to you by the UK overtaking Italy on total deaths taking us to the top of the chart for Europe. I am reminded of the early days in March where it was often said "We'll enact measures at the right time". Looks like they missed the right time?

There is also still treading water on whether the UK public should wear face masks be they home made or otherwise with the latest consensus being "it's complicated, but it might help?".

A running theme I have noticed while all this has gone on is the inherent distrust in the public to do what they are told. The original delay to lockdown as they didn't trust citizens not to "get bored" and start breaking the rules. The decision not to advise use of home made masks because they were worried people would immediately buy N95's and stop medical facilities from being able to get them, and that people will get lackadaisical about the other things like social distancing and washing your hands.

I said it previously but i'll say it again, if a citizen is going to ignore the advice, they already are. If they are going to be grabbing medical grade equipment, they already are. If they are going to gather with a mask on, they are already gathering without a mask on. If they are not going to wash their hands having had a mask on, they are already not washing their hands with no mask on. Stop making it worse for the masses because you are scared of what the minority are going to do, because the chances are ultra high they are already doing it and not instilling measures just makes it worse in the long run.

Here's an idea on the masks issue:
Make home made a requirement, keep up the social distancing message and if someone is seen with a medical grade version on it's an instant £40 fine and their house is searched and all masks confiscated and sent to the nearest hospital, unless they are a medical professional or other key worker who is working in public with an N95 on a member of the public should not have an N95 in the first place.
Ta Daaaa, medical equipment problem solved and you get some spare masks for the medics until the silly bastards learn to behave.
Stop second guessing assholes and give them a positive incentive NOT to be assholes. The Furlough system in the UK has worked wonders to incentivize people not to break the rules as they don't have to worry about their bills, mortgages etc. Good work! Keep doing stuff like that, but for the love of all Jeff just do it soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vavrik and August

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Make home made a requirement,
Not sure if I said this but I went to Home Depot last weekend and they would not let me in without a mask. Said it was a Boulder County rule, so I packed up and drove to Weld county to do my shopping.

People are afraid... ok, that is the governments fault, but come on, you are not going to turn into a pile of goo if you get the virus. You'll just have to stay at home, what we have been doing for 2 months. Good news if you get it, then your'e done with it.

Just keep grandma and grandpa away.

Last edited:
Reactions: NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Not sure if I said this but I went to Home Depot last weekend and they would not let me in without a mask. Said it was a Boulder County rule, so I packed up and drove to Weld county to do my shopping.

People are afraid... ok, that is the governments fault, but come on, you are not going to turn into a pile of goo if you get the virus. You'll just have to stay at home, what we have been doing for 2 months. Good news if you get it, then your'e done with it.

A quote from a book:

"[You] Do you," said I, "enjoy yourself, and let this be our rendezvous. I may be absent a month or two; but do not interfere with my motions, I entreat you; leave me to peace and solitude for a short time; and when I return, I hope it will be with a lighter heart, more congenial to your own temper."
Frankenstein (Mary Shelly, 1818)

Reactions: Vavrik

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Edited to add disclaimer: the following are opinions. Probably well informed, but still...

Some "tin foil hat talk", as in not from the"verified" scumbags.
Rather it's what I've been told by my friend who works in pharma and has been to India twice in the last year to do checks on medical and pharma facilities:
-They already had waaaaaay more cases and deaths to Covid19, they just didn't count em as Covid. It's not really political, it's more of a problem of keeping track/testing while many die every day of random causes. When you have millions living and dying in slums, it's kinda hard, especially when you don't really care or even have the means to test them. It's the very sad reality.
The numbers keep going up like crazy only recently, because it's only now that it really kicked into gear inside the middle-and-higher class population, where they even care to test for it. Expect the total deaths from Covid19 to either surpass everyone else, or to stay unrealistically low as they start hiding the numbers to keep business running for as long as possible.

- summer won't help us. This won't go away just because it's hot outside. It won't be hot enough. If it were, it would kill us first. Look at good ol 'stralia! They started in summer, and it made no difference to their numbers. Their actions did! Well done over there, mates!

- From his talk with their researchers, and by looking around in the industry: UV does fuck all to this virus. So sterilizing by UV light is not the cheap'n'easy alternative to fast sterilization of equipment and stuff that hoped it would be. If it heats up the contaminated surface enough for a prolonged period, it will have the desired effect, but at that point you can just pop it in the oven really, or wipe it off with some soapy water...
This is pretty clear from how it still thrives in places like India, where the UV index is pretty damn high. (12, which is "you go out uncovered, you are crispy red in 5 minutes" high)

Quick reminder for those who are lost or were hiding behind a TV screen:
- good old regular soap works really well, cos it breaks down the lipid layer (that's fat for us common folk I believe?) that covers the virus, thus killing it. So you can use regular soap just as well as all the fancy shit that the stores ran out of ages ago... The fancy, mostly alcohol based stuff is good cos it acts faster and more convenient on the go as it evaporates, but otherwise not necessary. DoN'"t waste it.

todays top tip that you Should Not Consider because you are not lazy, and you do value your safety: if you got stuff that you just bought that might be contaminated, but you don't wanna spend time, resources, and effort cleaning before bringin into the house, and won't go bad from some heat, leave it in the car, and leave the car in the sun for a day or 2 to be safe. The virus will most likely be dead. While the virus can survive on surfaces for some time, heat hastens it's demise. According to some paper one of you linked to me before, and according to my friend as well, cos their researchers read the same papers probably... Note for silly ppl: This only works if it is already hot outside, not in the middle of winter, duh.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Edited to add disclaimer: the following are opinions. Probably well informed, but still...

Some "tin foil hat talk", as in not from the"verified" scumbags.
Rather it's what I've been told by my friend who works in pharma and has been to India twice in the last year to do checks on medical and pharma facilities:
-They already had waaaaaay more cases and deaths to Covid19, they just didn't count em as Covid. It's not really political, it's more of a problem of keeping track/testing while many die every day of random causes. When you have millions living and dying in slums, it's kinda hard, especially when you don't really care or even have the means to test them. It's the very sad reality.
The numbers keep going up like crazy only recently, because it's only now that it really kicked into gear inside the middle-and-higher class population, where they even care to test for it. Expect the total deaths from Covid19 to either surpass everyone else, or to stay unrealistically low as they start hiding the numbers to keep business running for as long as possible.

- summer won't help us. This won't go away just because it's hot outside. It won't be hot enough. If it were, it would kill us first. Look at good ol 'stralia! They started in summer, and it made no difference to their numbers. Their actions did! Well done over there, mates!

- From his talk with their researchers, and by looking around in the industry: UV does fuck all to this virus. So sterilizing by UV light is not the cheap'n'easy alternative to fast sterilization of equipment and stuff that hoped it would be. If it heats up the contaminated surface enough for a prolonged period, it will have the desired effect, but at that point you can just pop it in the oven really, or wipe it off with some soapy water...
This is pretty clear from how it still thrives in places like India, where the UV index is pretty damn high. (12, which is "you go out uncovered, you are crispy red in 5 minutes" high)

Quick reminder for those who are lost or were hiding behind a TV screen:
- good old regular soap works really well, cos it breaks down the lipid layer (that's fat for us common folk I believe?) that covers the virus, thus killing it. So you can use regular soap just as well as all the fancy shit that the stores ran out of ages ago... The fancy, mostly alcohol based stuff is good cos it acts faster and more convenient on the go as it evaporates, but otherwise not necessary. DoN'"t waste it.

todays top tip that you Should Not Consider because you are not lazy, and you do value your safety: if you got stuff that you just bought that might be contaminated, but you don't wanna spend time, resources, and effort cleaning before bringin into the house, and won't go bad from some heat, leave it in the car, and leave the car in the sun for a day or 2 to be safe. The virus will most likely be dead. While the virus can survive on surfaces for some time, heat hastens it's demise. According to some paper one of you linked to me before, and according to my friend as well, cos their researchers read the same papers probably... Note for silly ppl: This only works if it is already hot outside, not in the middle of winter, duh.
Everything here seems reasonable. Heat definitely messes up the virus but it has to be above 70 degrees Celsius (158 degrees Fahrenheit). It also survives on different surfaces differently. Apparently plastic is the worst as the virus can survive up to 3-7 days. The general consensus is that heat and soap deactivates the virus. On the issue of cleaning surfaces, anything that has 70 percent alcohol and bleach will nullify the virus.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

The mask isn't to protect you, it's to protect others. You may be an asymptomatic carrier without knowing it. Wearing the mask will help limit transmission in the event that you're unknowingly carrying the virus.

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken

The mask isn't to protect you, it's to protect others. You may be an asymptomatic carrier without knowing it. Wearing the mask will help limit transmission in the event that you're unknowingly carrying the virus.
Why protect others? Apparently if you get it all that happens is you have to stay home and once you get it you don't have to worry about it anymore. I know it's true 'cause it was on the interwebs.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Those pesky Obama era deep state agents FORCED Trump to dissolve the Pandemic Task Force that Obama set up!

imagine unironically blaming Obama for any part of Trumps handling of this situation. You bet your ass if the US wasn't number one in cases and deaths Trump + co would be over the moon boasting about it lmao

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Those pesky Obama era deep state agents FORCED Trump to dissolve the Pandemic Task Force that Obama set up!

imagine unironically blaming Obama for any part of Trumps handling of this situation. You bet your ass if the US wasn't number one in cases and deaths Trump + co would be over the moon boasting about it lmao
You know who appointed Dr Fauci? Ronald Reagan. You know who else he served under? Democrats like Clinton and Obummer.

Deep...State...Agent.

Reactions: Vavrik and Montoya

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Why protect others? Apparently if you get it all that happens is you have to stay home and once you get it you don't have to worry about it anymore. I know it's true 'cause it was on the interwebs.
Wait... didn't they say masks did not work... then they said they did work... then the said to make a mask out of your wifes bra. Good grief... just stay 6 feet away from people and use your head.

I'm going to tell on you if you don't wear your face mask bullshit.

1588725362621.png

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Everything here seems reasonable. Heat definitely messes up the virus but it has to be above 70 degrees Celsius (158 degrees Fahrenheit). It also survives on different surfaces differently. Apparently plastic is the worst as the virus can survive up to 3-7 days. The general consensus is that heat and soap deactivates the virus. On the issue of cleaning surfaces, anything that has 70 percent alcohol and bleach will nullify the virus.
Just don't drink the bleach, no matter what some, ahem, presidents say!

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I agree, but hind sight is 20/20... he made the best decision he could with the data he had
I will disagree with that statement.

Its not as if the US was the first country hit with COVID-19. In light of what was happening in Italy at the time, it did not take some sort of genius to figure out that if it can happen in Italy, then it can happen here.

Trump was briefed, he know, the administration knew, but they felt that the US would dodge this one the same way we dodged SARS. It was a gamble, and it failed.

On March 2nd I made my first Corona virus video after the first US death happened in Washington State. I expressed my concern. I am just some guy on the internet, I dont hold any political office so there is nothing much I can do! If I had the power, I would have followed S Korea's actions and shut down travel and public gatherings immediately!

Everything was still wide open at the time, schools, playgrounds, malls, beaches.. I called my parents in Tampa and asked them if anybody was worried, they said the news said it was hoax by the democrats to make Trump look bad and not to worry about it, it will soon go away. I don't have to tell you which channel told them that.

So no, Trump did not make the best decision, he was too slow to react, that is the hard truth that most people will not admit.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Trump continues to make decisions based on what’s popular with his base, or what certain cable news channels say he should do, and not based what’s best for the people of the country based on sound medical advice. That’s not leadership, it’s pandering to an audience while you allow people to needlessly die.

Reactions: Vavrik

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
I will disagree with that statement.
I don't agree with your last statement and you do not agree with my stance... let's just agree to disagree.

The way I look at it... it was a phased shut down to avoid panic. Anything Trump would have done would have been a failure to you. So, come November we will see, who the American people pick. I have a feeling you are going to be sorely disappointed but you are in Canada, and the Canadian people have their own problems. Its not Americas job to save the world. Trump represents America, he does not represent other countries. Fuck the world leadership role... China can take it for once and start paying our bills to the international community (WTO, WHO, UN, World Bank and all the other bullshit). As I said, the rest of the world spits in our eye while asking for money. This summer will determine if Trump gets re-elected, time will tell, so lets not discuss this on a gaming website.

Then again, nothing I say will change your mind... and nothing you say will change my mind.

Forgot your password?