Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Being stationed at Bragg, I understand, but the people have a right to protest (with guns) outside of Bragg.

Did you go party in Fuquay-Varina? :D Im sure you dont miss the humid summers.

Those protesters had a choice of locations for their protest.

They could have chosen among many places... a) a quiet family friendly, tree lined neighborhood close to Trader Joes and Starbucks, or b) The gates to Fort Bragg.

Protesting at location "b" would indicate great bravery in displaying your distaste for the government before people who are better trained, better armed and could take you down in a second in a real fight.

Location "a", the family neighborhood indicates to me that you are giant pussy that loves militia cosplay and you want to intimidate some 9-5 working class moms on their evening walk.

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I thought for sure, with the amount of travel in and out of Asia with Australia, that you guys would have had it way worse.

Really surprised to see how few cases Australia got.
Besides cities like Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth...the population density isn't that great is it? Definitely not the heat.

At first I thought heat plays some role in limiting the spread but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Brazil has the highest contagion rate in the World and the country is hot as hell.

Reactions: Vavrik

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
Besides cities like Sydney, Melbourne, and Perth...the population density isn't that great is it? Definitely not the heat.
Sydney has about 430 people per sq. km, and Melbourne has around 453 people per sq. km. Both have populations of about 5 million people each.

Like NZ we reacted quickly, people are civic minded, and try to take care of each other. This means that the social distancing measures have largely been followed and as populations we accept that a little hardship now means we get out of this sooner.

it also helped that our government quickly moved to support people who had lost work, and small business who had been impacted. It’s cost us a lot but the outcome is NZ and AU will be open for business safely, and sooner than if people were greedy and selfish.

It’s sucked, but looking at what’s happening elsewhere it’s hard to imagine a better place to be to see this out.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
Like NZ we reacted quickly...
<snip>
it also helped that our government quickly
It's all about acting quickly...exponential growth is a bitch; by denying and not doing anything the US govt leadership basically screwed the country.

Once you found out about it/it was first detected in your country you had 30 days to be able to clamp down on it and nip it in the bud; if you waited past 45 days you got...well, look at the US, that is basically what you got. It is all over, and out of control, really.

August

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Aug 27, 2018
RSI Handle
August-TEST
I thought for sure, with the amount of travel in and out of Asia with Australia, that you guys would have had it way worse.

Really surprised to see how few cases Australia got.
We shut out borders to China at the start of Feb, and then closed foreign travel down completely in mid-March. We had a lot of cases come in via Italy before travellers from there were banned.

There’s also 2 weeks mandatory quarantine for Australians returning from overseas.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
those numbers are great to see since i last logged on test. looks like things are starting to drop? i guess this epidemic might be able to actually get fixed. how is Italy and america doing recently?
Here you go...looks like they are doing well; with the cases down their hospitals hopefully are nowhere near as overloaded as before:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 7.05.54 AM.png

The US? not doing as great:
Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 7.08.07 AM.png

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Here you go...looks like they are doing well; with the cases down their hospitals hopefully are nowhere near as overloaded as before:
View attachment 15733

The US? not doing as great:
View attachment 15734
Well at least the numbers are starting to become flat for america i dont know why people can't just follow the quarenteen and stay home. plus you have these silly movments of not wearing masks etc everyone else in the world is getting on board why cant we?

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Here we go again. China trying to steal our technology.

At a recent internal company conference, Gilead CEO Daniel O’Day said the company owns all patents around remdesivir, including for coronaviruses. But he also stressed that the priority for the company is to examine the drug’s use in clinical trials and to ramp up production if its efficacy is confirmed. Gilead “will not get into a patent dispute,” he said.

On top of all those controversies, Chinese IP law does provide for compulsory licenses for eligible companies to produce generic versions of patented drugs during a state of emergency or other unusual circumstances, or in the interests of the public. However, authorities will not likely apply it to remdesivir, especially now that Gilead’s offering it free of charge and as drug IP remains a sensitive topic on the international community’s radar.

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Looks like the WHO may need to recognize Taiwan... that should make Beijing flip out.

China has some hard times coming, we (world) knows it and so does China. I hope they are not as belligerent as they have shown themselves to be, especially in 1989.

The political climate is darkening. “China is experiencing the most sustained domestic political crackdown since Tiananmen Square.”

I'll throw this in the bucket just for good measure.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Here we go again. China trying to steal our technology.
Yep, China is well known for this kind of infringement.

I would like to point out it's not your/our technology, it's Gileads. They may have used $79 million of your tax money to develop it, but it sure as hell 'aint yours. 😉

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Looks like the WHO may need to recognize Taiwan... that should make Beijing flip out.

China has some hard times coming, we (world) knows it and so does China. I hope they are not as belligerent as they have shown themselves to be, especially in 1989.

The political climate is darkening. “China is experiencing the most sustained domestic political crackdown since Tiananmen Square.”

Disappointing to hear of the issues going on over there (Have not read the articles no time or inclination).

Handily, I know someone who lives and works there as an English teacher. I'll have to check in with them and see how they are doing.

Last edited:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari

Do you actually read the articles you post or do you just practice selective reading and read between the lines?

I have the utmost respect for Foreign Policy (I used to have a subscription). It's actually one of the most trusted publications among members of the foreign service (ie. State Department). Anyway, I read the entirety of that article and had you read it too, you'll realize that the article is actually critical of the Trump administration's decision to focus on finding foreign culprits to blame instead of prioritizing fighting the actual virus. Any talk of China in that article is actually peripheral.

As for the Atlantic (also another publication I admire). The article dates back to 2016 and advocates the US undergoing a reassessment of it's China policy (I agree with that) and not (as I think you're implying) some kind of confrontational reckoning. If you're misusing a 4 year old article to back up what YOU think we should do with China because of their mishandling of Covid19, you're doing it wrong.

As for that last story, ah as a matter of fact I've actually been following it closely. It came up on my radar because of it's explosive and unsubstantiated claims. That story is from the Daily Telegraph, a TABLOID paper that is owned by Rupert Murdoch. According to the Daily Telegraph, the 'Coronavirus Dossier' is supposedly drafted by the 'Five Eyes'. The 'Five Eyes' have actually contradicted the validity or even the existence of this dossier. I did some scouring on the interwebs and couldn't find even a lick that would point me towards this dossier. A dossier that supposedly only the Daily Telegraph has possession of. If you can find me a PDF copy of this dossier in it's ENTIRETY (because surprise..Daily Telegraph won't provide me with one), I'll gladly swallow my pride and stand down.

Listen. I'm no China apologist. I distrust China, their influence in my country, and there are things being done there that I find detestable (ie the treatment of Uyghurs in XInjiang). That said, my academic background is actually this very topic (Sino-US Relations, Security Studies, International Relations, Comparative Politics) and this is not the way to handle things. I don't claim to be an expert in this area but I'm no layman either. You'll forgive me when I say I take stories on these issues very seriously, I don't take what I see at face value. Oh I'm fluent in Mandarin too. Funny enough I'm also pro-Taiwan (I'm probably the only person in this community that speaks Taiwanese). You may say I have a unique perspective to all this.

Having said that you need to realize several irrefutable things.

1) China is a Superpower in all but name. They have the population, the economy, and the military (including a Nuclear Arsenal).
2) China's economy will overtake that of the US within the next 10 years
3) China is the biggest foreign holder of US Debt.
4) Because of the above, China needs to be handled carefully. This isn't some poor Middle Eastern country to beat up. You're looking at a country that's your equal and potentially even your superior.

The point I'm trying to make is that people need to calm down. Incessant China bashing helps no one and veers us off course from the original point of this thread. Any potential conflict between the United States and China is one where NOBODY will walk away unscathed. Yes China should be contained but we need to be EXTREMELY careful. You know, use diplomacy. The notion that jingoism is the way to handle China needs to be dismissed. Currently all the saber rattling from this administration has gotten China responding in kind and it's frightening. In a way you're only reinforcing the CCP because they can use the threat of 'foreigners' as a justification to have their citizens close ranks and fall in line.

For all our sake, I hope the powers that be back down from this no win scenario. What I do fear is that all this nonsense was concocted for the sake of domestic politics in which case it's ridiculously irresponsible. Cooler heads MUST prevail.

Colddog, you have a Fallout photo as your avatar. Do you really wanna see a US/China conflict? One where there are only losers and no winners?

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
If the below article is correct it's disappointing and looks to be an own-goal for UK infrastructure - I just can't understand why the current incumbent don't think to spend the UK's money growing the UK's assets which it will then have ready to draw on when other crisis or even additional waves of the current crisis occur... I read an article some weeks back that suggested the Corona Crisis in particular has highlighted the countries best able to deal with this are ones which have a larger publicly owned asset base in the health sector (cannot find that article now, sadly).

If it's an argument of cost I still don't see how that works. Pay for materials and someones hourly wage to do something, and you pay for the task to be done and you still have that person ready to do it or something else there or elsewhere. Pay a third party contractor to do it and you pay for materials, someones hourly wage and the third party companies 30%/40%/50% margin to do the job... And then when something happens you have to pay them again rather than using the pre-existing asset including that margin, but probably with a clause in the contract that you now have to pay additional margin as it was not an agreed extension on the original contract...?

I just can't make sense of it?

Forgot your password?