Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
That's not very environmentally minded of you. They're like regular ones, you just turn em inside out and use em again right?....right?
Never thought of it like this. Now instead of just telling your partner it just feels better to go bare you can say you're doing it for the environment. And who doesn't like saving the environment?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
Nice. Now we know what the costs of doing something and nothing are and so with the next outbreak will have more case studies to go off of.
What an idiot!

“You simply cannot lock down our society with no end in sight,’’ he said at a teleconference from the governor’s office with only television reporters in attendance.

Oh yeah?

How is it every single other country in the world is doing that then?

I hate to say it, but the US is going to be the hardest hit along with India at this rate.

Reactions: Vavrik and Sraika

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
Todays numbers from the UK.

It appears the reported figures have settled into the pattern of total cases from 9am this morning, total deaths from 5pm yesterday evening. I won't comment on the reported times now unless something changes.

25,150 in total have now been confirmed, with 1,789 total deaths:

Chartorama31-03-20.jpg

And a closer look at the Orange Line reveals a sharp spike in fatalities:

Fatalities 31-03-20.jpg

I suppose the jump in the death rate was only to be expected with the gap between confirmed cases and death rate growing more and more over time, there was something of a debt there waiting to be paid with the highest number of victims losing their lives in one day.

The cautious optimism still seems to be there as the confirmed cases are still rising but not doubling, the growth rate is steady.

And a personal message: If anyone tomorrow April First tells you the measures have been redacted as an April Fools joke you are allowed to breach the two-meter social distancing rule to kick them as hard in the balls as you physically can.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
What an idiot!

“You simply cannot lock down our society with no end in sight,’’ he said at a teleconference from the governor’s office with only television reporters in attendance.

Oh yeah?

How is it every single other country in the world is doing that then?

I hate to say it, but the US is going to be the hardest hit along with India at this rate.
There is some truth to the statement of you cannot lock down a society with no end in sight. There reaches a point were the safety of the few bankrupts the many.

The other point I was attempting to get at is from a scientific standpoint having a baseline metric where nothing is done allows us to clearly show how effective the social distancing and lockdowns were at preventing the spread of this virus and hopefully can be used in future pandemics. This allows for case studies on what was effective what didn't work and what we can try next time.

Reactions: Vavrik

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
There is some truth to the statement of you cannot lock down a society with no end in sight.
I guess my criticism is more along the lines that the "no end in sight" part is bullshit.

There is an end.

The end begins when you start seeing declining numbers of new cases, like Italy. There we have a very clear timeline of when drastic action was taken, to when the slope starts flattening.

How is it that government officials live in a different reality where these facts and figures from other countries are not available?

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
How is it that government officials live in a different reality where these facts and figures from other countries are not available?
I think some government officials #1 priority is not the safety of their people, but their re-election chances and/or interests of their top donors...

I think some are doing some political calculations along the lines of, "The dead aren't going to vote against me*, and the people who live probably will be happy that I didn't inconvenience them too much / the stock market didn't tank..."

*except of course Chicago

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I guess my criticism is more along the lines that the "no end in sight" part is bullshit.

There is an end.

The end begins when you start seeing declining numbers of new cases, like Italy. There we have a very clear timeline of when drastic action was taken, to when the slope starts flattening.
I would agree with you but the issue is for lots its that it is hard to wrap one's head around as its not a specific date but a triggered event. There has been lots of studies around people's and animal's reactions to the concept of specific time events vs ambiguity.

I wonder the same thing. I wonder if its the same thing that leads to upper-middle managers.

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?