Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
Fox no longer owns sky, hasn't since 2018. Comcast NBC Universal does now.
As a matter of fact, Sky Australia is owned by News Corp Australia. It is a different entity to Sky in the UK. News Corp is of course famously owned by the Murdochs. Much has actually been written Sky Australia's sharp veering to the Right after the Murdoch takeover.

‘In digital, the right-wing material is 24/7’: How Sky News quietly became Australia’s biggest news channel on social media
How the Australian version of Sky News became home for the far-right
Sky News Australia
Australians sign Kevin Rudd's call for inquiry into Murdoch influence

Reactions: PeppaPigKilla

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 18th of December:

- World: 75,298,991 confirmed cases and 1,669,033 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 75 million cases, we passed 74 million cases yesterday meaning another million cases in the lat 1/2 days.

- US: California records 100k new infections in the last 48 hours.

- UK: Sees record highest number of people in hospital with COVID since the beginning of the pandemic.

- US: Vice President receives vaccine live on TV.

- UK: Prime Minister once again asks people of the UK not to take advantage of the relaxed restrictions over Christmas, but still does not entertain the idea of redacting them.

- Austria: Due to enter third lockdown, only 11 days after the second one ended.

- France: Death toll passes 60,000.

- Sweden: Sees 9,654 new cases.

- Turkey: Sees record high new daily cases.

- France: President Macron comments on his COVID diagnosis following criticism of his movements prior to testing positive “Despite everything I caught this virus — perhaps, doubtless, a moment of negligence, a moment of bad luck, too,”

Reactions: Vavrik

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
As a matter of fact, Sky Australia is owned by News Corp Australia. It is a different entity to Sky in the UK. News Corp is of course famously owned by the Murdochs. Much has actually been written Sky Australia's sharp veering to the Right after the Murdoch takeover.

‘In digital, the right-wing material is 24/7’: How Sky News quietly became Australia’s biggest news channel on social media
How the Australian version of Sky News became home for the far-right
Sky News Australia
Australians sign Kevin Rudd's call for inquiry into Murdoch influence
Ah well, as it wasn't specified either way, my comment is neither here nor there.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Not so great news! The govt. is fucking up the distribution!
No that's not great, but it seems pretty clear what happened. I don't think it's a distribution issue that fucked up, I think they're doing the best they can with a system they don't control. If the product is sitting in a Pfizer warehouse awaiting a purchase order or whatever they call the thing that says the ducks are all in a row, including the money - then send the ducks, including the money. Purchase order, shipment authorization, whatever the heck it's called. And stop pointing fingers, and get the ball rolling again.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
No that's not great, but it seems pretty clear what happened. I don't think it's a distribution issue that fucked up, I think they're doing the best they can with a system they don't control. If the product is sitting in a Pfizer warehouse awaiting a purchase order or whatever they call the thing that says the ducks are all in a row, including the money - then send the ducks, including the money. Purchase order, shipment authorization, whatever the heck it's called. And stop pointing fingers, and get the ball rolling again.
We had a discussion about this many months ago. It will be / is a logistics nightmare. People are going to point fingers, nothing will go smoothly and there is no way to not fuck it up.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 19th of December:

- World: 75,883,142 confirmed cases and 1,679,705 confirmed deaths.

- Switzerland: Approves Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

- US: Approves Moderna Vaccine, has already approved Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

- US: Sees highest daily confirmed cases so far at 249,709.

- UK: New COVID mutation recently discovered in the country appears to make it even easier for it to pass from person to person with some indications it is up to 70% more transmissible, but indications so far are that it has not become more fatal or that it will be vaccine resistant, but this is being examined further. It is, however, spreading fast through the South East of the country - "In London 28% of cases were as a result of this new mutation in mid-November, but that has now increased to more than 60%" and areas with the new variant have higher hospitalizations.

- UK: New higher Tier 4 restrictions introduced which is basically a stay-at-home lockdown with everything except essentials closed, with the addition that travel in and out of the area is banned. London and much of South East placed into Teir 4 immediately due to speed and spread of the new strain.

- UK: As cases spike rapidly, the relaxation of COVID rules for Christmas is finally scrapped for the new Teir 4 areas and are reduced to Christmas Day only in all other areas.

- Scotland: Bans cross boarder travel from Scotland into rest of UK indicating the new more contagious strain had already been detected in Scotland and that "if we do not act and act firmly" [...] "firmly and decisively now, or it will take hold".

- Wales: Brings forward new lockdown to tonight, with Christmas relaxation of restrictions pulled back to Christmas Day only.

- Australia: West Australia to reinstate hard boarder with New South Wales after risk moved from "Low" to "Medium"

- Italy: New strict lockdown announced which will cover Christmas and New Year.

- Chile: President fined $3,500 for taking a selfie in a public place without a mask on.

- Turkey: Ventilator explosion on a COVID ward kills 9.

- India: Becomes second country in the world to pass 10 million confirmed cases.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Sunday 20th of December:

- World: 76,559,930 confirmed cases and 1,689,925 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 76 million cases, we passed 75 million on Friday meaning a million more cases in the last 2/3 days.

- UK: Travel corridors from multiple countries including France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Belgium and Ireland are closed as a case of the new rapid spread strain of COVID discovered in the Netherlands, one in Australia and nine in Denmark. EDIT - And now one in Italy, too.

- UK: Sees record high new daily cases, at 35,928.

- UK: London train stations see packed platforms as people attempt to leave the capital to avoid the Tier 4 lockdown.

- Australia: Sydney area gets restrictions as cases continue to be discovered and most territories announce new measures for travelers from the city.

- US: Army General in charge of vaccine distribution admits mistakes in initial numbers of doses going to certain states.

- South Korea: Sees record high daily cases.

- Thailand: Sees record high daily cases.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
- UK: Travel corridors from multiple countries including France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Bulgaria, Belgium and Ireland are closed as a case of the new rapid spread strain of COVID discovered in the Netherlands, one in Australia and nine in Denmark. EDIT - And now one in Italy, too.

- UK: Sees record high new daily cases, at 35,928.

- UK: London train stations see packed platforms as people attempt to leave the capital to avoid the Tier 4 lockdown.
I know of several companies that treat this as a non issue and see it as BAU, its this mentality thats going to make this a long term thing, 2021 will not be much better

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
New mutation detected, 70% more infectious... I hope you will be all safe, especially our friends in the UK !
That was one of my worries with the "herd immunity" idea and with increased infection rates --> the more the virus reproduces as it finds new hosts, the greater the chance there is for a mutation.

Oh well, the horses have all run away, maybe we should close the barn doors now LOL

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I don't think I have anything to add about this new strain beyond what has been pointed out so far, good comments everyone.
That was one of my worries with the "herd immunity" idea and with increased infection rates --> the more the virus reproduces as it finds new hosts, the greater the chance there is for a mutation.

Oh well, the horses have all run away, maybe we should close the barn doors now LOL
New mutation detected, 70% more infectious... I hope you will be all safe, especially our friends in the UK !

The good news is the mRNA vaccine from from BioNTech is not as version specific as was typically found by using using inactivated virus to trigger an natural immune response. This vaccine is specifically crafter to trigger an immune response to the virus nucleotide-binding site (how a virus is able to bind and infect healthy target cells) and thus help even against mutations as a change in the virus binding in of itself makes the virus unsuccessful in infecting. This is also the biggest risk/concern as the rna injection can target anything that matches the binding site molecular makeup and we do not know what other things / helpful things might match and cause an immune response that can be harmful to the host.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I'm not sure if any of you remember this, but at the very beginning of the outbreak we were told there were strain mutations but it wasn't too much to worry about because it wasn't making the virus more or less deadly / infectious. They then went silent on strain mutations after that and I haven't heard anything on them up until recently. I posted this when that was going on, but I'll post it again so you can see exactly what's going on with the strain mutations, or whatever you want to call it.

EDIT: Put on your tinfoil hat for this one. I was thinking, Britain was first to roll out the Pfizer vaccine. Britain is now reporting a new strain. 🤔

Last edited:
Forgot your password?