Coronavirus COVID-19 Thread

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
EDIT: Put on your tinfoil hat for this one. I was thinking, Britain was first to roll out the Pfizer vaccine. Britain is now reporting a new strain. 🤔
The official line is this mutation was first detected in September/November, and the Pfizer vaccine was being tested by about tens of thousands of people around the world for months so if it was a mutation of the new vaccine tech, it'd be much wider spread than the UK.

However, I'm not going to say your wrong - no body knows right now and if it is a natural mutation, I don't think anyone will ever know for sure because it emerged in a manner which no one could monitor and get concrete data from.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Put on your tinfoil hat for this one. I was thinking, Britain was first to roll out the Pfizer vaccine. Britain is now reporting a new strain.
Fortunately... bad choice of word... the strain in question was first identified in September, in Kent in England. So it predates the vaccine by a wide margin.

Keep the tinfoil hat though. It has been spreading rapidly in England, and it now accounts for almost 2/3 of cases in the infected area. At any event, it's been around for several months and has been identified in several countries in the EU, and North America - including the US, and Australia. In those areas it has not demonstrated a higher transmission rate. At least not yet.

Didn't someone recently say something about shutting the barn door after the horses got away? @Radegast74 I think.

See https://www.cogconsortium.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Report-1_COG-UK_20-December-2020_SARS-CoV-2-Mutations_final.pdf

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Monday 21st of December:

- World: 77,134,668 confirmed cases and 1,698,497 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 77 million, we passed 76 million yesterday meaning 1 million more cases in the last 1/2 days.

- World: 40+ countries suspend travel arrivals from the UK due to new more potent strain of COVID-19 in the country.

- UK/France: France closes its boarder with the UK immediately effecting port traffic, effecting "Human handled" freight and causing large delays at Dover causing 500 lorries to line up on motorways in Kent. Government officials and Supermarkets immediately move to reassure shoppers there are enough supplies and that they should not panic buy, only stock up on what they were going to for Christmas. Shops immediately become busier as some supermarkets suggest some items may become scarce if boarder does not open to all freight soon.

- Australia: Identifies two cases of the new COVID strain.

- Europe: Regulator approves Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

- Catholics: The Vatican permits Vaccines for use, even if they used human cells taken from aborted fetuses in their production, saying it's okay if there are no other options available.

- US: Deal reached on $900 billion relief package after lengthily delays.

- UK: 500,000 people have now received first dose of vaccine.

- Morocco: Announces a 3 week curfew to attempt to counter COVID cases.

- Turkey: Sees record high new daily deaths.

- Singapore: Receives first delivery of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
Fortunately... bad choice of word... the strain in question was first identified in September, in Kent in England. So it predates the vaccine by a wide margin.

Keep the tinfoil hat though. It has been spreading rapidly in England, and it now accounts for almost 2/3 of cases in the infected area. At any event, it's been around for several months and has been identified in several countries in the EU, and North America - including the US, and Australia. In those areas it has not demonstrated a higher transmission rate. At least not yet.

Didn't someone recently say something about shutting the barn door after the horses got away? @Radegast74 I think.

See https://www.cogconsortium.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Report-1_COG-UK_20-December-2020_SARS-CoV-2-Mutations_final.pdf
The official line is this mutation was first detected in September/November, and the Pfizer vaccine was being tested by about tens of thousands of people around the world for months so if it was a mutation of the new vaccine tech, it'd be much wider spread than the UK.

However, I'm not going to say your wrong - no body knows right now and if it is a natural mutation, I don't think anyone will ever know for sure because it emerged in a manner which no one could monitor and get concrete data from.

Yeah I had like next to zero information on it, so its interesting to know how far back it may have been identified. I was drawing a correlation between the vaccine and the mutation however due to what we see with the flu vaccines. We have to get a different flu shot every year due to it becoming resistant to the years prior ( I wouldnt really even begin to think a mutation would happen this fast though). I'd be interested to see how long it takes for the vaccine resistance to become an issue. Ive heard stories saying that even with the vaccine it still doesnt mean you cant transmit it and you could still very much become sick regardless. This virus man, i tell ya.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
This is my 10th day of fighting COVID-19.
I have experienced
  • 103.1 Fever that needed 6MG Dexamethasone daily and 1000MG of Tylenol every four hours to keep under control. If I miss one Tylenol dose, I will spike again to 103+ fever.
  • brain splitting migraines
  • loss of taste and smell
  • uncontrollable cold shiver convulsions
  • serious difficulty sleeping
  • burning in the bronchial tube and upper chest
  • some difficulty breathing
  • extreme pain in the upper chest when coughing
  • spit up some small amounts of blood, I assume from coughing/upper lungs.
  • some dizziness, especially after coughing.
  • loss of energy / feel tired and beat down
  • sinus pressure without hardly any mucus
  • Achiness in joints and body
  • the back of my eyes really hurt, hard to read sometimes.
  • my resting BPM is high at around 100BPM up 130BPM for just walking to the bathroom

The reason I am not in the hospital is that my Oxygen Saturation is 95-97%, and my fever is now controllable.
And I have an oxygen tank ready in case of emergency if I need to get rushed to the hospital.

To note
I have felt better twice over the last 4 or 5 days where my fever broke, and then I got hit hard again within a few hours with another fever.
I have had two scares and one new one
One scare was with my heart rate
Another was with spiking a really high fever
And right now is the extra resistance I have with breathing tonight and last night and a very painful cough.

Please absolutely take this virus seriously, my father is a Physician and he is worried for me because of the severity of my symptoms for being so young (37).
I am Hispanic, overweight nearly obese for my height and age, and have moderate asthma but did not require an inhaler my entire adult life, only needed under 12 years old roughly.

About the strains of COVID. Earlier in the year, it was discovered that the Sars-CoV-2 has an enzyme that worked as an integrity check so that it would not mutate alot.
Shortly later the virus mutated when it moved from China to the UK, dubbed the G variant because one item in one of the protein chains changed.
Which made the virus have an easier time reproducing than the original.
USA got infected by the G variant from the UK.

Now there seem to be a lot more mutations that are worse.
https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563

Starscribe

Admiral
Dec 14, 2019
RSI Handle
Starscribe

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I have experienced
  • 103.1 Fever that needed 6MG Dexamethasone daily and 1000MG of Tylenol every four hours to keep under control. If I miss one Tylenol dose, I will spike again to 103+ fever.
  • my resting BPM is high at around 100BPM up 130BPM for just walking to the bathroom

The reason I am not in the hospital is that my Oxygen Saturation is 95-97%, and my fever is now controllable.
And I have an oxygen tank ready in case of emergency if I need to get rushed to the hospital.

To note
I have felt better twice over the last 4 or 5 days where my fever broke, and then I got hit hard again within a few hours with another fever.
And right now is the extra resistance I have with breathing tonight and last night and a very painful cough.

Please absolutely take this virus seriously, my father is a Physician and he is worried for me because of the severity of my symptoms for being so young (37).
I am Hispanic, overweight nearly obese for my height and age, and have moderate asthma but did not require an inhaler my entire adult life, only needed under 12 years old roughly.

About the strains of COVID. Earlier in the year, it was discovered that the Sars-CoV-2 has an enzyme that worked as an integrity check so that it would not mutate alot.
Shortly later the virus mutated when it moved from China to the UK, dubbed the G variant because one item in one of the protein chains changed.

https://virological.org/t/preliminary-genomic-characterisation-of-an-emergent-sars-cov-2-lineage-in-the-uk-defined-by-a-novel-set-of-spike-mutations/563
Hope you're back to normal soon. Thank you for sharing your experience too.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
I have experienced

To note

Thanks for sharing your expirianace, mend fast dude :o7:

Aramsolari

Space Marshal
Donor
May 9, 2019
RSI Handle
AramSolari
I have experienced

To note

Damn Gunny. Get well!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Tuesday 22nd of December:

- World: 77,667,963 confirmed cases and 1,709,295 confirmed deaths.

- US: Passes 18 million total confirmed cases.

- US: Dr Fauci receives vaccine, publicizes the event to encourage more people to take up the treatment.

- UK: Passes 80,000 excess deaths over expected average.

- UK: Agreement reached with France over boarder as total number of lorries parked on Kent motorway exceeds 1,500 and some reports indicate number closer to 3,000.

- UK: Nations largest supermarket Tesco to ration Eggs, Rice and Toilet Rolls due to concerns of disruption at ports.

- UK: To investigate new COVID transmission rate in children, indicating if it is also spreading easier in the young this could explain where the spike in cases has come from, with school kids picking it up and carrying it back to their parents who may otherwise be isolating successfully.

- Wales: Army drivers drafted in to drive ambulances to relieve pressure on the emergency service.

- Belgium: Detects 4 cases of new strain COVID.

- Antarctica: The last continent to not be touched by COVID records first cases at Chilean military base.

- Malawi: To seal boarders for 14 days to counter rising cases.

- Netherlands: Hospitals to suspend all non-urgent care to deal with surging cases.

PeppaPigKilla

Admiral
Sep 15, 2019
RSI Handle
PeppaPigKilla
I have experienced

To note

Thanks for sharing and hope you have a full recovery

DirectorGunner

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 17, 2016
RSI Handle
DirectorGunner
After I woke up today, my oxy sat was in the high 80s, so I used an oxygen tank my Dad left me and went to the ER.
The ER gave me BAMLANIVIMAD and two cocktails by IV then discharged me.
I am home on o2.
I have no idea if my migraines will come back or if my fever will stay under 101 for the rest of the night... but fingers crossed.

Jolly_Green_Giant

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Jolly_Green_Giant
I have experienced

To note

After I woke up today, my oxy sat was in the high 80s, so I used an oxygen tank my Dad left me and went to the ER.
I am home on o2.
I have no idea if my migraines will come back or if my fever will stay under 101 for the rest of the night... but fingers crossed.

Could you not make this thing sound so bad? You're ruining the arguments of us who are trying to downplay it. Thanks.

On a serious note, that sounds absolutely miserable man, I hope you get over ASAP. Thank you for the updates, keep them coming if / when you can because im sure all of us are legitimately concerned about you right now.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - reports from around the world from today, wednesday, 23rd of December:

- World: 78,380,606 confirmed cases and 1,724,562 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 78 million cases, we passed 77 million on Monday meaning another 1 million cases in the last 2/3 days.

- Canada: Becomes second country to approve Moderna vaccine.

- UK: Sees record high new daily cases, at 39,237.

- UK/France: Agreement put in place for truckers who test clear for COVID will be allowed to pass the boarder, race now on to get the tests done and the lorries moving again.

- UK: Multiple counties to move up COVID restriction tiers as cases continue to climb.

- UK: Two cases of South African mutation of COVID detected in UK.

- Scotland: Baby girl under the age of one perishes to COVID-19.

- Scotland: First Minister issues apologies after photos emerge of them at a funeral without a face mask on.

- Israel: Detects four cases of new strain of COVID.

- Italy: Passes 70,000 total confirmed deaths.

- France: Bestows citizenship upon immigrant COVID-19 front line health workers.

- China: Late stage trials in Brazil report the Sinovac Vaccine holds 50% efficiency rating.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Thursday 24th of December:

- World: 78,986,314 confirmed cases and 1,735,905 confirmed deaths.

- US: President Trump lambasts the latest Coronavirus relief package.

- US: 37 year old California man being treated in hospital clubs fellow COVID patent, 82, to death with his own oxygen tank after becoming annoyed with the elderly man praying.

- US: Sees a Christmas travel rush similar to the one at Thanks Giving.

- UK: London how has the highest percentage of people testing positive in the United Kingdom.

- UK: Several hospitals and trusts across the country postpone routine operations in order to cope with COVID case load.

- Australia: Sees nine new cases and Sydney Hotspot causes concern office and Central Business District workers spreading virus symptomatically.

- Latin America: Mexico and Chile begin mass vaccination program.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
I am home on o2.
Please keep us updated!

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Friday 25th of December:

- World: 79,651,190 confirmed cases and 1,747,194 confirmed deaths.

- World: Passes 79 million cases, we passed 78 million on Wednesday meaning an additional 1 million cases in the last 2/3 days.

- UK: Passes 70,000 confirmed deaths.

- Japan: Discovers 5 cases of new variant COVID-19.

- Australia: Sydney COVID cluster grows to 108 confirmed cases, citizens called up on to avoid going in-person to Boxing Day sales.

Reactions: Vavrik

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Catharsis Corner - Reports from around the world from today, Saturday 26th of December:

- World: 79,966,148 confirmed cases and 1,752,674 confirmed deaths.

- Spain: Reports cases of UK COVID variant.

- Sweden: Reports cases of UK COVID variant.

- Switzerland: Reports cases of UK COVID variant.

- France: Detects first confirmed case of UK COVID variant in traveler returning from the UK who was asymptomatic.

- US: America waits to see if President Trump will avoid a governmental shutdown and allow long fought for unemployment relief package worth $900 billion to be distributed, after he threatened to veto it “I simply want to get our great people $2,000, rather than the measly $600 that is now in the bill. Also, stop the billions of dollars in ‘pork’” he tweeted, despite his own Republican party being opposed to this, their having worked hard to bring the relief package down to the level it is now.

- Russia: Approves Sputnik V vaccine for use in people over the age of 60.

- Japan: Temporarily suspends non-resident arrivals.

- Egypt: A fire at a private hospital treating COVID patients kills seven people.

- Europe: Germany, France, Spain, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, and more countries started their Vaccine rollout or will begin tomorrow.

Reactions: Vavrik
Forgot your password?