RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
That does not describe herd immunity. They're feeding the public a feel good story.
The political set never really did seem to get the hang of that concept did they? A bit disconcerting to see it in a public health official though.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The political set never really did seem to get the hang of that concept did they? A bit disconcerting to see it in a public health official though.
I'm pretty sure it was a statement either taken out of context (you know, "NEWS"), or made at the request of a Minister. Even on this side of the pond, politicians are telling people that herd immunity is around the corner. 70%. lol. Because some demo with bouncing balls said so.
Thing is it can be done, just we need to send about 2.6 billion vaccines to Africa, and probably another few billion everywhere else. It won't be tomorrow. People are screaming for borders to open, and that undoes a lot. I totally get it though. Personally I'm getting sick and tired of Skype, WebEx, and Microsoft Teams myself.
... Edit: Although, I have really enjoyed my lunch more at home than in an office cafeteria.

Last edited:

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace
COVID Corner - Some reports from some news outlets from today, Thursday 30th of September:

- World: Global Confirmed 233,479,934 Global Deaths 4,777,581

- UK: no sign of improvement in petrol supplies

- UK: Furlough ends with almost 1 million left in limbo

- UK: UK lockdown economic rebound stronger than first thought

- Scotland: judge refused a legal challenge from nightclubs to delay COVID passports

- Movies: Latest James Bond file finally reaches UK cinemas

- Isle Of Man: Covid-19 regulations extended until January

- Brazil: Brazil hospital chain accused of hiding deaths and giving unproven drugs

- Singapore: Singapore hits record-high for cases

- Denmark: Denmark set to fall short of Covid vaccination target

- Ukraine: Ukraine reports highest daily cases since April

- Somalia: Somalia opens oxygen plant vital in Covid fight

- Syria: 20-day-old baby dies of Covid in Syria

- Africa: Over 70% of African states miss Covid jabs target

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Do they provide free beer?
Yep, their beer is free. As long as you don't have to pay for making it, storage, shipping, distribution, taxes etc, they would just give it to you.
... Don't go right now, unless you feel like paying for a COVID test before you come back. That's currently mandatory regardless of vaccination status.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yep, their beer is free. As long as you don't have to pay for making it, storage, shipping, distribution, taxes etc, they would just give it to you.
... Don't go right now, unless you feel like paying for a COVID test before you come back. That's currently mandatory regardless of vaccination status.
Who says I am coming back unless they stop giving out beer.

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

NaffNaffBobFace

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 5, 2016
RSI Handle
NaffNaffBobFace

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I think politicians in the US got this pandemic mostly wrong. It still doesn't care if you're Republican or Democrat, (or Conservative, PQ, Liberal or NDP in Canada). What it cares about is if it can infect you. And it appears Delta doesn't even care if you're vaccinated, though vaccination certainly does help to keep you alive if it can't keep you out of the hospital.

Here's the thing. There is a triangle that runs from Alberta and Saskatchewan in Canada, into the US Mid-West. Then in the South. Hot, and humid summers keep a lot of people indoors in summer. Temperatures in this entire area can reach 30-45 C or more. That's upper 80's to over 110 F, some areas like Arizona and New Mexico it can spike even higher. This keeps people indoors during the summer, because why melt when you have AC at home?
But now it's becoming comfortable outside, so people in this area can get outside and open windows more often. I mean it's traditional to have a BBQ on Christmas and New Years in my family. It's that nice outside. We have to wear jackets sometime in February.

So here's my prediction: COVID infections are going to continue to drop for a while as people in the Midwest and South start to get cooler weather. But the Pacific North West and St. Lawrence /Atlantic watershed in both countries is getting colder, and people are starting to move indoors more. COVID will do to them what it did to the center and south of the continent this summer. Because the Pacific North West is warmer than the East Coast, it won't be as bad there. But the Prairie provinces, and the US mid-west are not out of the woods, because they get brutal winters. Tempratures can drop to -30 and -40, and I don't even need to translate that from C to F... exposed skin can freeze in just a few minutes in some places. So a short respite is all they're going to get.

This is how COVID behaved last year too. Waves.
BTW the same thing happens in Eastern Europe and Asia, only they're a little more sensible about living in the nastiest areas... like Siberia. But by the same measure I used in the US, even Great Britan and Europe is not out of the woods.

We see the same thing happening in the South Pacific, South America, and Africa only they're 6 months out of phase with that prediction.

Forgot your password?